Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Default New Evaporator Coils necessary for new Condenser ?

My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton condenser.

One HVAC company is saying that they do not install new evaporator coils
because it is unnecessary, and the efficiency will be around 12 or 13 if the
old coils are used with a 15 seer unit. They say they have never had a
problem with leaving the old evaporator coils in.

Another HVAC company is saying that it is important to install new coils
because the efficency won't be good, and also the unit will be under more
stress with the old coils and will likely only last for 4 years.

Which of the two is correct?

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton condenser.

One HVAC company is saying that they do not install new evaporator coils
because it is unnecessary, and the efficiency will be around 12 or 13 if
the old coils are used with a 15 seer unit. They say they have never had
a problem with leaving the old evaporator coils in.

Another HVAC company is saying that it is important to install new coils
because the efficency won't be good, and also the unit will be under more
stress with the old coils and will likely only last for 4 years.

Which of the two is correct?

Thanks,

J.

Neither of them are correct. The coils *MUST* be replaced when switching to
R-410a(Puron). R-410a and R-22 are not compatable at all, nor are the oils,
and R-410a operates at much higher pressures than R-22....yet another reason
to change the coils. BTW, did you know that the manufacturers will *NOT*
stand behind their warranties if a correctly matched coil is not used with
the new condenser??

I would suggest that you get a properly matched system from and have it
installed by a *COMPETENT*, licensed, insured, professionally trained HVAC
technician. and don't walk, but run away from those two companies. Don't
forget to get that 10 year parts and labor extended warranty with the new
correctly matched system. Also demand a copy of the ARI Certificate of
Performance for the new system. If they can't or won't give you one, then
show them the door.

FWIW, I would not put Carrier in my home on a bet.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...-205/overview/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

I would suggest that you get a properly matched system from and have it
installed by a *COMPETENT*, licensed, insured, professionally trained HVAC
technician. and don't walk, but run away from those two companies.

You might still be able to get an R-22 instalation done. We had a
compressor failure a few years ago and our HVAC just replaced the outside
unit for less than $2000. It's only a 5 year guarantee but the man who did
the work is very good and very careful.

If you can't just replace the "outside unit" and/or your HVAC isn't up to
just replacing the compressor you may be stuck with replacing just about
everything but the thermostat and the blower housing.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton condenser.

One HVAC company is saying that they do not install new evaporator coils
because it is unnecessary, and the efficiency will be around 12 or 13 if

the
old coils are used with a 15 seer unit. They say they have never had a
problem with leaving the old evaporator coils in.

Another HVAC company is saying that it is important to install new coils
because the efficency won't be good, and also the unit will be under more
stress with the old coils and will likely only last for 4 years.

Which of the two is correct?

Thanks,

J.

Beside the previous comments, a 22 year old coil is a leak waiting to
happen.

HankG

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On May 6, 12:50*pm, "
wrote:
My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. *Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton condenser.

One HVAC company is saying that they do not install new evaporator coils
because it is unnecessary, and the efficiency will be around 12 or 13 if the
old coils are used with a 15 seer unit. *They say they have never had a
problem with leaving the old evaporator coils in.

Another HVAC company is saying that it is important to install new coils
because the efficency won't be good, and also the unit will be under more
stress with the old coils and will likely only last for 4 years.

Which of the two is correct?

Thanks,

J.

Even if it did work the seer increase you get from a new coil will
make a major difference in your electric bill, and that you want. Have
you checked how much you will save. do so, charts might be at Carrier.
But one more point in upgrading you may not need 4 ton, but maybe 3
ton,[ im just guessing here] did anybody do a load calculation or
point that out to you. You have 10 seer, probably its 9 seer by now,
its an energy hog, 15 seer is a big saver in electric costs. If it
didnt run nearly constantly on the hottest days, you might have been
oversized before. You need a load calculation in writing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with Noon-air. They should put in a high efficiency evap coil,
even if you're staying with R-22 refrigerant. You MUST replace the if
you're moving to R410. If the first company is an authorized dealer
for a name brand company, they could lose their dealership for
recommending a hair brained combination like that.

The second company is correct that you need to install a matching
coil. Most of the high efficiency coils are oversized and then use a
thermostatic expansion valve to squeeze the most efficiency out of
them. However, if that's the way you go, make sure the blower motor
can provide the increased airflow demanded by the oversized coil.
Otherwise you'll get freeze up in humid weather.

Bottom line is you want a matched system.

You also need to change out the line set for the new refrigerant.

On Tue, 06 May 2008 17:50:41 GMT, "
wrote:

My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton condenser.

One HVAC company is saying that they do not install new evaporator coils
because it is unnecessary, and the efficiency will be around 12 or 13 if the
old coils are used with a 15 seer unit. They say they have never had a
problem with leaving the old evaporator coils in.

Another HVAC company is saying that it is important to install new coils
because the efficency won't be good, and also the unit will be under more
stress with the old coils and will likely only last for 4 years.

Which of the two is correct?

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

FWIW, I would not put Carrier in my home on a bet.

Carrier... lol
Nuff said...

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"HankG" wrote in message
. ..

" wrote in message
[...]

It's likely to outlast the new coil...
That said... you still have to install a new coil.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Sounds like you have some really interesting HVAC techs, there. Mix Puron
and R-22? Not a good idea. If it works at all, it won't work for long.

Are you visiting the area Stormy???
Sounds like something you'd do...

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"KJPRO" KJPRO @ NEWS . COM wrote in message

"HankG" wrote in message
. ..

" wrote in message
[...]

Bottoms up I guess float the oil out the top with the calgon **** spose take
your time...soak it...$$$=hours

still that old coil is gonna be all stiff an brittle and inadequately rated
as to test and working pressure while any of the new one will be dual
rated--(duh for lower pressure r22) as well as being listed for the higher
pressures you'll encounter w / 410

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On May 6, 12:50*pm, "
wrote:
My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. *Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton condenser.

One HVAC company is saying that they do not install new evaporator coils
because it is unnecessary, and the efficiency will be around 12 or 13 if the
old coils are used with a 15 seer unit. *They say they have never had a
problem with leaving the old evaporator coils in.

Another HVAC company is saying that it is important to install new coils
because the efficency won't be good, and also the unit will be under more
stress with the old coils and will likely only last for 4 years.

Which of the two is correct?

Thanks,

J.

Am I missing something on AC operation and sizing? I know from the
many points of what has been said, he needs to replace the coil to.
But couldnt his old 10 seer be actualy running at 8, won`t he save
near 50% on his electric bill with a complete 15 Seer unit, yes. So if
that is the case couldn`t a 2-2.5 ton work and a 4 ton unit be way
oversized making the house uncomfortable and the extra cost a waste?.
Of course he also needs pros, not hacks to bid, and do a load
calculation in writing.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On May 6, 12:23*pm, ransley wrote:
On May 6, 12:50*pm, "
wrote:

My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. *Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton condenser.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On May 7, 12:33*pm, "KJPRO" KJPRO @ NEWS . COM wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
On May 6, 12:50 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

The SEER rating has nothing to do with the units capacity. It just takes
more energy to move the same amount of heat.

Thing of SEER as MGPs, the fuel costs the same and has the same octane, but
one car uses more to travel the same distance.- Hide quoted text -

I'm left wondering. In this age of escalating energy prices, who in
their right mind would ever want to use a 22 year old evaporator that
they acknowledge,will turn a new 15 seer system into a 12 seer one?

And if you do, and two years later the compressor fails, who will
warranty it?

As someone previoulsy said, it's like replacing all of a car then
shoving a radiator from a 22 year old junker into it.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Not a lot of peaple post HERE so they have to make the most
of the one's that do.

Anybody want a 9 Lobe 7 Flute 300 Ton Frick Screw for $10
Come's with 5 Tons of NH3 and a free EVAPORATOR COIL
( NEW ONE ) Very usefull for holding down the roof in a
cyclone ( 3 Ton Weight )

The Interpretation of all the Complex technical terms USED IS
THEY WANT YOU TO BUY A NEW ONE

" wrote in message
My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton condenser.

One HVAC company is saying that they do not install new evaporator coils
because it is unnecessary, and the efficiency will be around 12 or 13 if
the old coils are used with a 15 seer unit. They say they have never had
a problem with leaving the old evaporator coils in.

Another HVAC company is saying that it is important to install new coils
because the efficency won't be good, and also the unit will be under more
stress with the old coils and will likely only last for 4 years.

Which of the two is correct?

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

" wrote in message

My mom's 22 year old 4 Ton 10-seer Carrier A/C condenser is shot. Her
furnace is relatively new.

She wants to replace the old unt with a new Puron Carrier 4 ton
condenser.

One HVAC company is saying that they do not install new evaporator
coils because it is unnecessary, and the efficiency will be around 12
or 13 if the old coils are used with a 15 seer unit. They say they
have never had a problem with leaving the old evaporator coils in.

Another HVAC company is saying that it is important to install new
coils because the efficency won't be good, and also the unit will be
under more stress with the old coils and will likely only last for 4
years.

Which of the two is correct?

Thanks,

J.

Hi,
Rule of thumb, you always use matched set. Older coil may die
soon(spring a leak) or if you want to reuse it, it needs flushing with
special chemical which is very expensive. (R22 and Puron oil is
different) Most techs does not want to do this. Also Puron runs at
higher pressure. Proper thing to do is to replace line set, coil and use
transfer valve. For more expert advice go to forum at
www.hvacmechanic.com I am not a tech. Just alert consumer.

transfer valve. For more expert advice go to forum at www.hvacmechanic.com
I am not a tech. Just alert consumer.

Using an older coil is for the Hacks, like Stormy.
You don't use a old R22 coil for a new R410 system, PERIOD!!!!!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Katy-West Houston Air had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac...ser-31920-.htm
:

Mixing R-22 and R410A is serious invitation for trouble. Once Mineraloil
mixes with the Polyolester oil you can just about guarantee compressor
failure after compressor failure. Using the old lineset is OK, but they
MUST be flushed with RX-11, and no chinching. We use a minimum of 1 can
per system after an inital high pressure nitrogen purge to insure all of
the old oil is stripped from the lines. We then follow up with a second
high pressure dry nitrogen purge to help remove any RX-11 liquid that may
be present in the lines and provide about a 2 hour vacuum to the system.
-------------------------------------
KJPRO wrote:

"Stormin Mormon"
wrote in message
Sounds like you have some really interesting HVAC techs, there.
Mix Puron
and R-22? Not a good idea. If it works at all, it won't work for
long.

Are you visiting the area Stormy???
Sounds like something you'd do...

alt.hvac,alt.home.repair - messages and counting!