Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Cedar or PT wood

Support posts for my covered porch. Damp area that gets little
sunlight but lots of snow / thaw. Posts will be bracketed above the
concrete. Cedar or pressure treated? I'm a senior and don't want to do
this again. Cedar is almost 3x the price of PT around here. And one
other question if I may - the posts are going on existing concrete. I
plan on boring a hole in center to accept the bracket for the post. Is
there a caulking type adhesive that can hold the bracket lag in or do
I go with hydraulic (sp) cement?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 7:09*pm, jim wrote:
Support posts for my covered porch. Damp area that gets little
sunlight but lots of snow / thaw. Posts will be bracketed above the
concrete. Cedar or pressure treated? I'm a senior and don't want to do
this again. Cedar is almost 3x the price of PT around here. And one
other question if I may - the posts are going on existing concrete. I
plan on boring a hole in center to accept the bracket for the post. Is
there a caulking type adhesive that can hold the bracket lag in or do
I go with hydraulic (sp) cement?

Thanks

You might look at some of the 'manufactured' wood products.
I would use treated southern yellow pine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message
Support posts for my covered porch. Damp area that gets little
sunlight but lots of snow / thaw. Posts will be bracketed above the
concrete. Cedar or pressure treated? I'm a senior and don't want to do
this again. Cedar is almost 3x the price of PT around here. And one
other question if I may - the posts are going on existing concrete. I
plan on boring a hole in center to accept the bracket for the post. Is
there a caulking type adhesive that can hold the bracket lag in or do
I go with hydraulic (sp) cement?

Thanks

I'd use PT. Depending on how senior you are, plain old pine may last you.
PT can last 40+ years.

As for the bracket, drill a hole (with a masonry bit) in the concrete and
use an anchor to hold it in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"jim" wrote in message

Support posts for my covered porch. Damp area that gets little
sunlight but lots of snow / thaw. Posts will be bracketed above the
concrete. Cedar or pressure treated? I'm a senior and don't want to do
this again. Cedar is almost 3x the price of PT around here. And one
other question if I may - the posts are going on existing concrete. I
plan on boring a hole in center to accept the bracket for the post. Is
there a caulking type adhesive that can hold the bracket lag in or do
I go with hydraulic (sp) cement?

Thanks

I'd use PT. Depending on how senior you are, plain old pine may last you.
PT can last 40+ years.

As for the bracket, drill a hole (with a masonry bit) in the concrete and
use an anchor to hold it in place.

Cypress is used in southern states and stands up well in damp or wet
areas. I used it for fence posts and had no problems after 30 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cedar or pressure treated?
PT and throw on a coat of stain if desired.

the posts are going on existing concrete. I

plan on boring a hole in center to accept the bracket for the post.

"Bore the center" of the post.. or the concrete ?

Maybe this is what you're describing ?

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...nada/RCPS.html