Posted to alt.home.repair
K Y K Y is offline

Default Sound proofing/deading

My husband and I recently moved into a new home. We love the house. But
it sits next to a steep hill to one side. We're thinking of planting a
row or 2 of evergreens, I thinkg they're called abortives..? to help
screen the road noise.

We're also going to add the thickest type of curtain we can find. But
I'm mostly hoping the evergrees will help a great deal not only with
privacey but with cutting the noise in half.?
Any one have such a vegatative screen and does it help..?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

K Y wrote:
My husband and I recently moved into a new home. We love the house.
But it sits next to a steep hill to one side. We're thinking of
planting a row or 2 of evergreens, I thinkg they're called
abortives..? to help screen the road noise.

We're also going to add the thickest type of curtain we can find. But
I'm mostly hoping the evergrees will help a great deal not only with
privacey but with cutting the noise in half.?
Any one have such a vegatative screen and does it help..?

I have three rows of arborvitae, standing 25 foot tall, which screens a road
to the side of our property. It is a very effective visual screen, but it
does little for the road noise. Insulated doors, and modern double or triple
glazed windows make the biggest difference.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 6:23*pm, (K Y) wrote:
My husband and I recently moved into a new home. We love the house. But
it sits next to a steep hill to one side. We're thinking of planting a
row or 2 of evergreens, I thinkg they're called abortives..? to help
screen the road noise.

We're also going to add the thickest type of curtain we can find. But
I'm mostly hoping *the evergrees will help a great deal not only with
privacey but with cutting the noise in half.?
Any one have such a vegatative screen and does it help..?
Thanks.

We have a porch that 'screens' the second floor effectively.
Our third floor, without porch gets much more street noise.

Can you build a deck or similar structure between you and the road?

Posted to alt.home.repair
K Y K Y is offline

No a deck would not be feesable.

After doing some more reading these things grow too slow to work before
our grandchildren are born.

Hubby put in one row so far for a visual screen wehn they do grow in.. I
think I'll try real heavy draperies as were still using some temps from
our old home.

We were in a hotel not long ago that had them and when I moved the
curtain back you could hear the diff. We do have double pane glass, but
its not widly spaced double pane..

Anyone using heavy draperies for sound. If so were do u get heavy ones?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 05 May 2008 06:10:47p, K Y told us...

No a deck would not be feesable.

After doing some more reading these things grow too slow to work before
our grandchildren are born.

Hubby put in one row so far for a visual screen wehn they do grow in.. I
think I'll try real heavy draperies as were still using some temps from
our old home.

We were in a hotel not long ago that had them and when I moved the
curtain back you could hear the diff. We do have double pane glass, but
its not widly spaced double pane..

Anyone using heavy draperies for sound. If so were do u get heavy ones?

There are insulated and sound deadening drapery available. The effective
part is in the lining, not the surface fabric. Roc-Lon is one such brand
of lining. Search for "sound deadining drapery".

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"K Y" wrote

Anyone using heavy draperies for sound. If so were do u get heavy ones?

If it helps, layered drapery also works well. Thats where you have an inner
layer and an outer layer.

As a college student long ago, I had an apartment a bit like you describe.
Having little money, I used a set of flannel flat sheets for an inner layer
against the windows and 'behind' the fairly thick ones the apartment came
with. It helped fair amount more than just the thick ones alone. Grin,
I'm sure you can get more fancy than a flannel sheet but I was a poor
college student....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 7:12�am, "cshenk" wrote:
"K Y" wrote

Anyone using heavy draperies for �sound. If so were do u get heavy ones?

If it helps, layered drapery also works well. �Thats where you have an inner
layer and an outer layer.

As a college student long ago, I had an apartment a bit like you describe.
Having little money, I used a set of flannel flat sheets for an inner layer
against the windows and 'behind' the fairly thick ones the apartment came
with. �It helped �fair amount more than just the thick ones alone. �Grin,
I'm sure you can get more fancy than a flannel sheet but I was a poor
college student....

a white noise generator indoors can also help, since its consistent
and drownds out the engine tire variable sounds.

espically good when sleeping, eventually you will adjust and your
brain ignore the noise
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 5:23*pm, (K Y) wrote:
My husband and I recently moved into a new home. We love the house. But
it sits next to a steep hill to one side. We're thinking of planting a
row or 2 of evergreens, I thinkg they're called abortives..? to help
screen the road noise.

We're also going to add the thickest type of curtain we can find. But
I'm mostly hoping *the evergrees will help a great deal not only with
privacey but with cutting the noise in half.?
Any one have such a vegatative screen and does it help..?
Thanks.

A sheet of Acrilic-plexiglass attached to the window will do the most,
carpet and the correct furniture and rug wall hangings will absorb
sound. But now im sure it warm and you need fresh air.

Sound proofing I need some advice. Obsidion Home Repair 3 July 28th 07 03:14 AM
Sound proofing 1st floor blue UK diy 3 July 23rd 07 08:48 PM
sound proofing [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 19th 07 08:09 PM
Sound proofing. Matthew UK diy 14 March 31st 06 12:43 PM
sound proofing Gerald Lamb Home Repair 4 January 1st 05 12:59 AM