Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any water pump guru's here??

Would a 1 1/2 HP centrifugal pool pump work to pull water (aprox 3 - 4ft in
elavation) from lake for watering lawn and garden?? RM~

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rob Mills" wrote in message
Would a 1 1/2 HP centrifugal pool pump work to pull water (aprox 3 - 4ft
in
elavation) from lake for watering lawn and garden?? RM~

Depends on the pump. Some will. Elevation is one factor, but distance can
be too. Are you talkign having the pump right above the water or sucking
through a hose that slopes that 4 feet elevation over 200 feet away?

Be sure to put a foot valve on too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 May 2008 13:39:05 -0600, "Rob Mills"
wrote:

Would a 1 1/2 HP centrifugal pool pump work to pull water (aprox 3 - 4ft in
elavation) from lake for watering lawn and garden?? RM~

A above ground pool pump is below the surface level of the water
so that that type of pump need not be good at creating a vacuum
at the inlet.

I would think that that type of pump would have a difficult time self
priming at four feet. Try to locate the pump as close to the level of
the water as possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Are you talkign having the pump right above the water or sucking

through a hose that slopes that 4 feet elevation over 200 feet away?

I purchased it at an estate sale, thought it was a shallow well pump
until I got it home and read the fine print. Duh!
Anyhow, don't have a real big investment ($10) but it's in a like new
condition. I had planned to set pump in a storage building about 20ft
from lake and I doubt the rise in elevation is much more than 3 ft..

Thanks to all who responded, Rob Mills

PS, It's a Dayton 9K614 1 &1/2 HP 110/230 volt pump. Actually
it looks husker than the shallow well pumps sold at HD and is not
made of plastic.

Analog guru's? Controling adjustable regulator with DAC output? Christopher Ott Electronic Schematics 3 April 11th 08 01:28 PM
source for water to water heat pump franz frippl Home Repair 3 September 20th 07 07:01 PM
Electrical guru's? John UK diy 16 July 28th 07 10:55 AM
Several things wrong with new flat - no central heating, low hot water pressure even with water pump, noisey pump kiich UK diy 69 July 13th 05 07:36 PM
Any Solid Surface Guru's out there? Russ Penrose Woodworking 4 February 26th 05 12:55 AM