Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Urethane Particle Board Vanity?

I recently installed a nice bathroom sink vanity that is constructed
with particle board. To protect the board and guard against
under-the-sink damage from leaks, mold, bathroom humidity, etc, I am
thinking of using (oil based) polyurethane on the interior, which is not
painted. Is this a good idea? Are there reasons why this should not be
done?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jennifer wrote:
I recently installed a nice bathroom sink vanity that is constructed
with particle board. To protect the board and guard against
under-the-sink damage from leaks, mold, bathroom humidity, etc, I am
thinking of using (oil based) polyurethane on the interior, which is not
painted. Is this a good idea? Are there reasons why this should not be
done?

Thanks!

You used 'nice' and 'particle board' in the same sentence. There is no
such thing. :^/

But since you have it, and it is installed- painting the interior is
pretty pointless. Under certain circumstances, it could make things
worse, by trapping water in there from the edges (mainly against floor)
that you can't paint, and that soak up water like a sponge. BTW, I have
never seen even a particle board vanity with NOTHING on the inside
surfaces- they usually at least put that glorified contact paper stuff
in there.

The way to get the most life out of this will be, to NEVER let water sit
on the floor, and to buy a shallow plastic tray/washtub of some sort in
the housewares aisle, and keep that under the sink trap/faucet
connections in case of leaks. Good idea anyway, for holding cleaning
supplies or whatver, since if those leak, they will eat right through
the floor of the cabinet. Exposed particle board can suck moisture right
out of the air, so always use the exhaust fan when showering and such.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jennifer wrote:

I recently installed a nice bathroom sink vanity that is constructed
with particle board. To protect the board and guard against
under-the-sink damage from leaks, mold, bathroom humidity, etc, I am
thinking of using (oil based) polyurethane on the interior, which is not
painted. Is this a good idea? Are there reasons why this should not be
done?

Thanks!

It should definitely be protected, and would have been best done before
you installed it. Particle
board will crumble if it becomes wet, including at seams in coverings
like formica. If you have a hard
floor, then caulking around the base is also a good idea - there will
invariably be spills on a bathroom
floor, at some point, and p.b. will bulge first when wet and then start
crumbling because the binder
dissolves. If there are joints at the bottom inside of the cabinet,
caulking there, also, would be a good
idea. I would prime and paint it, but at least two coats of something
should be applied.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jennifer" wrote

I recently installed a nice bathroom sink vanity that is constructed
with particle board. To protect the board and guard against
under-the-sink damage from leaks, mold, bathroom humidity, etc, I am
thinking of using (oil based) polyurethane on the interior, which is not
painted. Is this a good idea? Are there reasons why this should not be
done?

Much better would be to buy a piece of vinyl flooring ... they sell it
in small rolls for just this purpose ... and line the bottom. I have my
kitchen sink lined with that, and I have a basin under the pipes. Taking
no chances. I've never bothered because I have stuff on top of the
flooring material, but you might want to staple down the corners to
keep it flat.

nancy

Can I bake particle board at 350 F? Norm Dresner Woodworking 10 November 30th 07 04:36 PM
Burning particle board SteveB Home Repair 38 November 11th 07 04:19 PM
Particle Board Woes Bill Woodworking 18 October 22nd 07 12:40 AM
Old particle board subfloor [email protected] Home Repair 13 June 14th 07 01:01 AM
hardwood over particle board steven Home Repair 3 July 4th 06 06:34 PM