Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default breaker box cover

I need a breaker box cover the will fit the existing box, but now
that the wall has been finished the wall is about 1 -1.5" out in front
of the box. Where can I find a box cover that will fit the box but
the flange be in front of the wall ?

Thanks

Sid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/3/2008 2:32 PM sid said the following:
I need a breaker box cover the will fit the existing box, but now
that the wall has been finished the wall is about 1 -1.5" out in front
of the box. Where can I find a box cover that will fit the box but
the flange be in front of the wall ?

Thanks

Sid.

Make a small door that will attach to the finished wall. A piece of
plywood, a latch, and a couple of hinges will do.
The door is just to keep unwanted hands (of kids and uninformed people)
out of the box.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
I need a breaker box cover the will fit the existing box, but now
that the wall has been finished the wall is about 1 -1.5" out in front
of the box. Where can I find a box cover that will fit the box but
the flange be in front of the wall ?

Thanks

Sid.

You can't. You can install the existing cover and cover the opening with a
picture or something. The panel should have been moved out prior the
finishing the walls, and a flush cover ordered for the panel

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 3, 1:32*pm, sid wrote:
I need a breaker box cover the will fit the existing box, *but now
that the wall has been finished the wall is about 1 -1.5" out in front
of the box. * Where can I find a box cover that will fit the box but
the flange be in front of the wall ?

Thanks

Sid.

Any electrical distributor can order you one from the manufacturer.
You may need extra long mounting screws to compensate for the extra
wall thickness.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:
I need a breaker box cover the will fit the existing box, but now
that the wall has been finished the wall is about 1 -1.5" out in front
of the box. Where can I find a box cover that will fit the box but
the flange be in front of the wall ?

Thanks

Sid.

Any electrical distributor can order you one from the manufacturer.
You may need extra long mounting screws to compensate for the extra
wall thickness.

Joe

So, the circuit breakers will be an inch and a half back from the panel
cover!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On May 3, 5:48*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

I need a breaker box cover the will fit the existing box, but now
that the wall has been finished the wall is about 1 -1.5" out in front
of the box. Where can I find a box cover that will fit the box but
the flange be in front of the wall ?

Thanks

Sid.

Any electrical distributor can order you one from the manufacturer.
You may need extra long mounting screws to compensate for the extra
wall thickness.

Joe

So, the circuit breakers will be an inch and a half back from the panel
cover!!

Joe, Thats what I thought, but I was not finding anything like that
on my web searches.
(I was sure I had seen them before, but did not remember where)
The box is SquareD 40 breakers (pretty generic I think).
Is there anyplace to order one online, or would the cost be
unreasonable ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

[...]

Some Square D covers can be purchased separately, however as RBM mentions
the breakers will be too far back. Also you cannot have that much drywall
exposed on the edges to the interior of the panel. Put the cover on set
back in the wall. Check the panel label for the correct cover model number
and contact a Square D distributor. The Square D web site has their
complete catalog online, but it is a little confusing to find things.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On May 3, 8:06*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

[...]

complete catalog online, but it is a little confusing to find things.- Hide quoted text -

When I search Square-Ds' E-Catalog for panel covers, I get 1004
hits.
What term do they call a panel cover like this ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

[...]

Here's a link:
http://www.squared.com/us/products/load_centers.nsf/unid/316B0C14F3A5014785256A1D0068B96D/$file/loadcentersFrameset.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

"sid" wrote in message

On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

[...]

Here's a link:http://www.squared.com/us/products/l...6B0C14F3A5...- Hide quoted text -

Was the link broken or did I miss something ? All I saw was standard
boxes. Nothing about speciality covers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

"sid" wrote in message

On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

[...]

FWIW, in over 35 years in the electrical business, I've never seen what
you're looking for. Other manufacturers have covers with a self-adjusting
spring loaded center panel that will adjust about 1/2", but all the "D"
covers I've seen are fixed, and must be mounted metal to metal

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

[...]

Here's a link:http://www.squared.com/us/products/l...C14F3A5...Hide quoted text -

Was the link broken or did I miss something ? *All I saw was standard
boxes. Nothing about speciality covers.- Hide quoted text -

If understanding the problem correctly we would go and see a handy
sheet metal worker to have them make a special 'dished' cover of
sufficient size to extend out over and around the protruding wall, but
with the cut out aperture for the breakers set back by that one to 1.5
inches. Probably requires some careful measuring. Estimated cost
probably $25???? Made to measure, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

[...]

BTW we have three square D panel in this house; but the two ath are in
a finished wall are set a) In such a way that they are flush with the
plasterboard. b) The circuit breakers if I recall correctly can be
'levelled' slightly to allow them to line up with the panel cover.
Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 11:48*am, terry wrote:
On May 4, 10:46*am, sid wrote:

"sid" wrote in message

On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:

Here's a link:http://www.squared.com/us/products/l...4F3A5...quoted text -

Was the link broken or did I miss something ? *All I saw was standard
boxes. Nothing about speciality covers.- Hide quoted text -

If understanding the problem correctly we would go and see a handy
sheet metal worker to have them make a special 'dished' cover of
sufficient size to extend out over and around the protruding wall, but
with the cut out aperture for the breakers set back by that one to 1.5
inches. Probably requires some careful measuring. Estimated cost
probably $25???? *Made to measure, eh?- Hide quoted text -

BTW we have three square D panel in this house; but the two that are
in
finished walls are; a) Set in such a way that they are flush with
the
plasterboard. b) The circuit breakers if I recall correctly can be
'levelled' slightly to allow them to line up with the panel covers.
Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

To my knowledge no one makes custom breaker panel covers. It can
even get very difficult to get covers for old panels.

RBM is a licensed electrician. He has already told you all of
this. He suggested you get a factory cover back on the panel.
You never indicated whether you have a surface mount cover or
flush mount cover, that is a change that you may be able to do
depending on age of panel.

Your choices would seem to be:
1. Move the existing panel forward the proper distance to work.
2. Install the lid you own correctly, and cover over the recesses
lid with a picture or door.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

On May 3, 5:48 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

On May 3, 1:32 pm, sid wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
To my knowledge no one makes custom breaker panel covers. It can
even get very difficult to get covers for old panels.

RBM is a licensed electrician. He has already told you all of
this. He suggested you get a factory cover back on the panel.
You never indicated whether you have a surface mount cover or
flush mount cover, that is a change that you may be able to do
depending on age of panel.

Your choices would seem to be:
1. Move the existing panel forward the proper distance to work.
2. Install the lid you own correctly, and cover over the recesses
lid with a picture or door.

Hmmm,
Could enclose the whole panel in a nice wooden box quick with door access.
I wonder why he needs cover? It'll be a hinderance when quick access to
breaker is needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
DanG wrote:
To my knowledge no one makes custom breaker panel covers. It can even
get very difficult to get covers for old panels.

RBM is a licensed electrician. He has already told you all of this. He
suggested you get a factory cover back on the panel. You never indicated
whether you have a surface mount cover or flush mount cover, that is a
change that you may be able to do depending on age of panel.

Your choices would seem to be:
1. Move the existing panel forward the proper distance to work.
2. Install the lid you own correctly, and cover over the recesses lid
with a picture or door.

Hmmm,
Could enclose the whole panel in a nice wooden box quick with door access.
I wonder why he needs cover? It'll be a hinderance when quick access to
breaker is needed.

The NEC requires a cover, and requires it to be made of non combustible
material, and listed for the purpose

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Could enclose the whole panel in a nice wooden box quick with door access.
I wonder why he needs cover? It'll be a hinderance when quick access to
breaker is needed.

The NEC requires a cover, and requires it to be made of non combustible
material, and listed for the purpose

Not to mention opening the "nice wooden box" door to expose the live
innards of the box isn't really all that cool, Code or no Code...

Some things even ordinary common sense says are just silly...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
RBM wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Could enclose the whole panel in a nice wooden box quick with door
access.
I wonder why he needs cover? It'll be a hinderance when quick access
to breaker is needed.

The NEC requires a cover, and requires it to be made of non combustible
material, and listed for the purpose

Not to mention opening the "nice wooden box" door to expose the live
innards of the box isn't really all that cool, Code or no Code...

Some things even ordinary common sense says are just silly...

--

Hmmm,
I misunderstood. Was that the front cover to hide wires and breaker
terminals? Wow! then of course. My apology. My idea was wooden box
after metal front cover is on.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 3, 1:32*pm, sid wrote:
I need a breaker box cover the will fit the existing box, *but now
that the wall has been finished the wall is about 1 -1.5" out in front
of the box. * Where can I find a box cover that will fit the box but
the flange be in front of the wall ?

Thanks

Sid.

After reading through all the sage advice and implacable code
requirements in this thread, seems to me serious remounting of this
electrical service is in order. Given those parameters, I would remove
a section of drywall sufficient to access the rear of the panel and
install spacers behind it to permit mounting the regular flush cover.
Most panels are only held in with four screws and sliding a 12"
nominal 2 x 2 horizontally top and bottom behind the box should bring
it perfectly flush to the drywall. There should be no problem with
entering wire runs with this small movement. Including drywall
repairs, it should only take two or three hours for the job for most
competent handymen. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On May 7, 1:47*pm, Joe wrote:
On May 3, 1:32*pm, sid wrote:

[...]

The feeders from outside are in rigid conduit (1.5 – 2”), not to
mention all the 1/2" conduit that would have to move.
You would attempt to move all that stuff ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 8, 12:28*pm, sid wrote:
On May 7, 1:47*pm, Joe wrote:

On May 3, 1:32*pm, sid wrote:

[...]

That does make the project trickier, but not impossible. The large
conduit probably goes to a meter base. If so. the meter could be
pulled, feed wires disconnected and the 2" nipple removed. A
replacement nipple 1 1/2" longer then gets screwed back in place
lightly while the spacers are installed. Unless you have an absolute
forest of EMT into the box, there is usually enough give in the EMT to
allow modest movement. If that is so, then the new nipple gets
tightened, feed wires replaced, meter installed and you're in
business. In the worst case, some wires in the panel could be
temporarily removed and offset conduit connectors used. Would that
work for you?

Joe

Electric BBQ breaks GFI 20 Amp breaker yet works fine with non-GFI breaker. BoyntonStu Home Repair 10 May 26th 07 06:56 PM
Hot Tub Cover JaxDawg Home Ownership 1 February 14th 07 07:33 PM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 07:34 PM
Cover this Ralph Henrichs Metalworking 1 May 18th 05 12:23 AM
Circuit breaker tester maps to wrong breaker!! Joe Doe Home Repair 7 November 30th 04 01:47 AM