Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PS33 Homelite Chainsaw has on chain brake

I was surprised to find that my chainsaw, a Homelite PS33, does not
have a chain brake. Homelite confirmed that this model does not have
a chain brake. Is this typical of a low cost chainsaw? I would think
in this day and age that such a safety feature would be government
mandated.

alt.home.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Probably false confidence. Like the low kickback chain that allows you to
operate unsafely.

Hi,
Of course. Nothing is 100%.
Use the thing between our two ears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"eganders" wrote in message

I hear you, but isn't a chain brake a really good idea, or is it just
something that would give false confidence? *Sounds like a real good
idea on the surface. *I was not even thinking about one until I
realized that my saw was one of the few that did not have one.

I put many hours (at least one day/week when weather permits) using
one. I would not run a saw that doesn't have an operating one. And
that is from someone who ran saws for 20 years before I got my first
saw _with_ a brake on it.

I consider people who speak against chain brakes in the same category
as those who refuse to wear seat belts.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"eganders" wrote in message

I hear you, but isn't a chain brake a really good idea, or is it just
something that would give false confidence? *Sounds like a real good
idea on the surface. *I was not even thinking about one until I
realized that my saw was one of the few that did not have one.

I put many hours (at least one day/week when weather permits) using
one. *I would not run a saw that doesn't have an operating one. And
that is from someone who ran saws for 20 years before I got my first
saw _with_ a brake on it.

I consider people who speak against chain brakes in the same category
as those who refuse to wear seat belts.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

I think I would agree. I am real nervous now. Based on the scary way
the instruction manuals are written for chain saws, I would compare
the chain brake to at least the use of seat belts, maybe even a higher
level. Does the brake stop the chain fast enough that the chain would
be stopped, during kickback, before the chain would hit your body?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"eganders" wrote in message

[...]

be stopped, during kickback, before the chain would hit your body?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, if you are holding the saw properly...and assuming the brake is
in operational order.

On kickback, there is no way anyone has reflexes fast enough to stop
one. It is possible to 'stiff arm' a saw such that it will only kick
up a bit but that stance is not one that can be sustained very long.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 1:51*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That's why you stay out of line of the saw. They put the blade to the far
right, for a reason. And it's not cause liberals suck. Well, they do, but
that's not why the saw blade.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K" wrote in message

Yes, if you are holding the saw properly...and assuming the brake is
in operational order.

On kickback, there is no way anyone has reflexes fast enough to stop
one. *It is possible to 'stiff arm' a saw such that it will only kick
up a bit but that stance is not one that can be sustained very long.

Harry K

I see you don't run saws much.

Harry K