Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resurface Asphalt Driveway for $1.67/SF - Fair & Reasonable?

An asphalt paver in the Northern VA area just gave me a price quote of
$5,495 for applying a 2 1/2 inch layer of state approved asphalt on my
20-year old driveway with 3,285 suare feet, and I'm wondering if this
price is fair. That works out to about $1.67 per square foot. Here is
his complete proposal:

1. trim grass back along edges
2. remove loose broken asphalt as needed and patch, roll & compact (60
sf)
3. cut back existing asphalt at transition points, etc.
4. clean complete surface of dirt and debris
5. apply tack coat to bond new asphalt with old
6. even up low and uneven areas (440 sf)
7. resurface with 2 1/2 inches of SM-9.5A V-DOT state approved asphalt
machine installed with hand finished edges
8. rolled and compacted with static rollers for maximum compaction
9. handstamp edges at approx. 45 degree angle for extra support
10. widen at apron on both sides (60 sf)

The quote seems high to me, but with today's soaring oil prices, maybe
the asphalt has just gone up that much. I was budgeting for a quote
at about $3,500 only.

Thanks for any feedback.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 May 2008 05:21:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a lot, but I haven't priced asphalt lately. Just for fun,
see what a concrete driveway would cost. Concrete is a step-up from
asphalt and would increase your property value. Also, for something
that costly, get 3 or 4 written quotes (quotes are free!). With
several quotes you will know a fair price and then you have a
comparison. You may save more than you think. Pay after the work is
completed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

2.5 inches over 3,285 ft2 is 684 ft3, or 48.9 tons of asphalt. Just
got a quote for road paving at $67/ton which says you're looking at
$3,278 in asphalt alone. (This is up from $54/ton last year.)
Considering the additional prep work, labor, OH, and profit I don't
think the price is wildly out of line.

Boden

Asphalt Driveway Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 2 March 31st 08 10:05 PM
New asphalt driveway Lonnie Home Ownership 3 September 15th 07 01:14 PM
RE Asphalt Driveway joe Home Repair 1 July 21st 06 11:15 PM
Asphalt Driveway PHroGman Home Repair 2 March 22nd 04 08:00 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 12:38 AM