Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

Default What is exactly is the "gubamint"?

Someone used this term recently. What does it mean?
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

() wrote in news:08274f7e-3262-4a91-8ebd-
:

Someone used this term recently. What does it mean?

Obviously a misspelling of "gubmint", as in "gubmint cheese."

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

On Apr 30, 3:45 pm, Bert Hyman wrote:
() wrote in news:08274f7e-3262-4a91-8ebd-
:

Someone used this term recently. What does it mean?

Obviously a misspelling of "gubmint", as in "gubmint cheese."

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Yeah, wyte trash ijits don't know how ta spell good...
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

Colbyt wrote:
"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
() wrote in news:08274f7e-3262-4a91-8ebd-
:

Someone used this term recently. What does it mean?

Obviously a misspelling of "gubmint", as in "gubmint cheese."

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Nah!

That is redneck talk for government.

Nah. It's what effete, urban snobs stereotype as redneck speak.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

On Apr 30, 12:33*pm, wrote:
Someone used this term recently. *What does it mean?

Do you mean guvamint? It costs half your earnings and is supposed to
freshen your breath, but doesn't work. And you're required to buy it.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

Someone used this term recently. What does it mean?

I always call it gooberment. It's where you send your taxes.

I'd clarify: it is where you send your US state taxes.
The election for state governor is called the "gubernatorial election"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gubernatorial
gubernatorial \GOO-ber-nuh-TOR-ee-uhl\, adjective:
Of or pertaining to a governor.

so I guess the winner is the state Goober!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goober_Pyle
Goober was the fictional auto mechanic for the town of Mayberry
in the 1960s American TV sitcom The Andy Griffith Show
and its later spin-off series Mayberry RFD. He was played by George Lindsey.
"Goober" is an Americanization of the West African Kongo language word
"Nguba", meaning Peanut.

Goobers is also a snackfood:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate-coated_peanut
Chocolate-coated (or chocolate-covered) peanuts are a popular bulk
vending product. They consist, as the name suggests, of peanuts coated in a
shell of milk chocolate.

http://www.nestleclassics.com/product_goobers.asp
and they're usually next to
http://www.nestleclassics.com/product_raisinets.asp

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

Jeff Jonas wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Is it some kind of mint? Like a spearmint?
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

and thus Jeff Jonas inscribed ...
Someone used this term recently. What does it mean?

I always call it gooberment. It's where you send your taxes.

"Goober" is an Americanization of the West African Kongo language word
"Nguba", meaning Peanut.

I guess I am confused as to the linguistic pathway where someone needed to americanize a West African Kongo "Peanut".
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, consul -x- poetry.dolphins-cove.com
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

On Apr 30, 12:59 pm, ~consul wrote:
and thus Bert Hyman inscribed ...

() wrote in news:08274f7e-3262-4a91-8ebd-
Someone used this term recently. What does it mean?

Obviously a misspelling of "gubmint", as in "gubmint cheese."

Personally, I've always used it as "guvmint"

I always use gov't in writings.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

On Apr 30, 4:08*pm, (Reggie) wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:57:58 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 30, 3:45 pm, Bert Hyman wrote:
() wrote in news:08274f7e-3262-4a91-8ebd-
:

Someone used this term recently. *What does it mean?

Obviously a misspelling of "gubmint", as in "gubmint cheese."

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Yeah, wyte trash ijits don't know how ta spell good...

How 'bout jigaboos?

He loves all jigaboos. He's been told by his TV that it makes
him feel superior.