DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Roof question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/248013-roof-question.html)

JonP April 29th 08 10:47 PM

Roof question

I just received a re-roofing quote from a contractor that says that the job
will require 17 squares. The property is 950sqft under roof and the pitch is
4.5/12.

Is it possible that a 950sqft house can have a 1,700sqft roof? I'd measure
it myself but it's a 500 mile trip to the house.

LouB April 29th 08 11:36 PM

Roof question

JonP wrote:
I just received a re-roofing quote from a contractor that says that the job
will require 17 squares. The property is 950sqft under roof and the pitch is
4.5/12.

Is it possible that a 950sqft house can have a 1,700sqft roof? I'd measure
it myself but it's a 500 mile trip to the house.

Get a couple of more quotes.

Erma1ina April 30th 08 12:35 AM

Roof question

JonP wrote:

I just received a re-roofing quote from a contractor that says that the job
will require 17 squares. The property is 950sqft under roof and the pitch is
4.5/12.

Is it possible that a 950sqft house can have a 1,700sqft roof? I'd measure
it myself but it's a 500 mile trip to the house.

Given that pitch, 17 square for the roof seems VERY high for a 950 sqft
house.

Check out this calculator. The results are rough -- no accounting for
type (hip, gable, etc) of roof -- but it won't be wildly off:

http://www.servicemagic.com/resource...oofing.13.html

benick[_2_] April 30th 08 01:03 AM

Roof question

"Erma1ina" wrote in message
JonP wrote:

I just received a re-roofing quote from a contractor that says that the
job
will require 17 squares. The property is 950sqft under roof and the pitch
is
4.5/12.

Is it possible that a 950sqft house can have a 1,700sqft roof? I'd
measure
it myself but it's a 500 mile trip to the house.

Given that pitch, 17 square for the roof seems VERY high for a 950 sqft
house.

Check out this calculator. The results are rough -- no accounting for
type (hip, gable, etc) of roof -- but it won't be wildly off:

http://www.servicemagic.com/resource...oofing.13.html

I JUST had my roof done...24X42(1008 sq. Ft.) Raised Ranch with a 5 pitch
roof...15 square did it....Stripped and re-roofed 2,100 dollars for labor..I
bought the materials....(about 1500. bucks)

Norminn April 30th 08 01:20 AM

Roof question

Erma1ina wrote:

JonP wrote:

I just received a re-roofing quote from a contractor that says that the job
will require 17 squares. The property is 950sqft under roof and the pitch is
4.5/12.

Is it possible that a 950sqft house can have a 1,700sqft roof? I'd measure
it myself but it's a 500 mile trip to the house.

Given that pitch, 17 square for the roof seems VERY high for a 950 sqft
house.

Check out this calculator. The results are rough -- no accounting for
type (hip, gable, etc) of roof -- but it won't be wildly off:

http://www.servicemagic.com/resource...oofing.13.html

I dusted off some brain cells I haven't used in a while and tried to
calculate based on the geometry
I can remember......close, but my calc. was under 1,000. Even with a 2'
overhang and 10% waste,
it comes to around 12 squares. If the roofer is known and reputable,
nothing wrong with questioning
the estimate. Could be something as simple as a typo. If he tries to
explain it away, then another
roofer is in order.

Red Green April 30th 08 01:59 AM

Roof question

Norminn wrote in
m:

Erma1ina wrote:

JonP wrote:

[...]

Just x**2+Y**2=r**2 is all ya need to dust off. Remember ol' Pythagoras?