Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterproofing New Chimney...

Last November I had the roof stripped and shingled and the chimney re-built
above the roofline and the guy that did it said I should get up there and
waterproof the chimney in the spring when it's warmer. Well it's spring and
I want to do it but I was wondering what I should use? I have used
Thompson's in the past(mixed results) but was wondering if that is the best
stuff to use. What do the Pro's use? Thanks for any help.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
Last November I had the roof stripped and shingled and the chimney
re-built above the roofline and the guy that did it said I should get up
there and waterproof the chimney in the spring when it's warmer. Well
it's spring and I want to do it but I was wondering what I should use? I
have used Thompson's in the past(mixed results) but was wondering if
that is the best stuff to use. What do the Pro's use? Thanks for any
help.....

I capped mine to keep out water and animals and chimney guy sealed top
with a waterproof grout where cement was getting crumbly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had my chimney tuckpointed a few years ago and the guy gave me the
same spiel. He applied a sealant.

Well, 3 years later and all the pointed mortar has fallen out and I'm
doing it myself this time. So I guess my comment would be, they've
been building masonary houses for hundreds of years and didnt use
sealants back then so what has changed to make them necessary now? It
obvoisuly didnt work in my case.

Back to your question. I was just in Home Depot buying new mortar and
saw gallon jugs of Masonary/Concrete Sealant sitting on the shelve
next to the bags premixed mortars. I'd use that. I'd never use
Thompsons due to past bad experiences.

-dickm

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:06:47 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

Last November I had the roof stripped and shingled and the chimney re-built
above the roofline and the guy that did it said I should get up there and
waterproof the chimney in the spring when it's warmer. Well it's spring and
I want to do it but I was wondering what I should use? I have used
Thompson's in the past(mixed results) but was wondering if that is the best
stuff to use. What do the Pro's use? Thanks for any help.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

t...

wrote:

Last November I had the roof stripped and shingled and the chimney
re-built
above the roofline and the guy that did it said I should get up there and
waterproof the chimney in the spring when it's warmer. Well it's spring
and
I want to do it but I was wondering what I should use? I have used
Thompson's in the past(mixed results) but was wondering if that is the
best
stuff to use. What do the Pro's use? Thanks for any help.....

I had the chimney COMPLETELY torn down to just below the roof line and
re-built with new brick,flashing ect. The bricks on the old chimney were
like yours was falling apart...700 bucks well spent..IMO...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 2:06*pm, "benick" wrote:
Last November I had the roof stripped and shingled and the chimney re-built
above the roofline and the guy that did it said I should get up there and
waterproof the chimney in the spring when it's warmer. Well it's spring and
I want to do it but I was wondering what I should use? I have used
Thompson's in the past(mixed results) but was wondering if that is the best
stuff to use. What do the Pro's use? Thanks for any help.....

Brick and mortar must breath or water can be held in and freeze and
ruin brick, chimneys go bad from in and outside, inside if the cap and
no liner is used

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

Last November I had the roof stripped and shingled and the chimney
re-built above the roofline and the guy that did it said I should get up
there and waterproof the chimney in the spring when it's warmer. Well
it's spring and I want to do it but I was wondering what I should use? I
have used Thompson's in the past(mixed results) but was wondering if
that is the best stuff to use. What do the Pro's use? Thanks for any
help.....

Thompsons is paraffin in an organic solvent. I used it on a
deck...once about 20 years ago. A mistake I won't make again. There
are several good masonry sealers available that are made from heavy
silanes. They are a much more appropriate choice.