DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stihl Gas-Powered String Trimmer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/247979-stihl-gas-powered-string-trimmer.html)

David April 29th 08 04:16 PM

Stihl Gas-Powered String Trimmer

I'm considering buying a Stihl Gas-Powered String Trimmer. I am looking at
two models, the FS 45 and the FS 45C Easy2Start. The only difference is the
FS 45C has spring assisted starting and the ability to add new line without
removing the spool.

The difference in price is $30. Do you think these two features are worth
the extra money? Why or why not?

Thanks for your replies.

David

The Reverend Natural Light April 29th 08 05:04 PM

On Apr 29, 11:16 am, "David" wrote:
I'm considering buying a Stihl Gas-Powered String Trimmer. I am looking at
two models, the FS 45 and the FS 45C Easy2Start. The only difference is the
FS 45C has spring assisted starting and the ability to add new line without
removing the spool.

The difference in price is $30. Do you think these two features are worth
the extra money? Why or why not?

I have one with the easy-start and a traditional spool. The easy-
start was somebody's good idea but I don't think it's necessary. The
engine starts so easily that it's just not needed. The normal spool
is easier to load than most others I've worked with and it works
great. Use the biggest shaped line that'll fit. Each manufacturer
has come up with their own improvement on the old spool but you end up
with something either more complicated or something that takes special
($$) line or blades.

Anyways, I'd recommend the model without the additional features.

That said, it's a great choice for a trimmer. They're commercial
grade but targeted to the consumer - which is an entirely different
level of quality and performance than what you'll get at a box store.
I bought the cheapest one they had and it's the best trimmer I've ever
used. Absolutely worth the money.

ransley April 29th 08 06:46 PM

On Apr 29, 10:16*am, "David" wrote:
I'm considering buying a Stihl Gas-Powered String Trimmer. I am looking at
two models, the FS 45 and the FS 45C Easy2Start. The only difference is the
FS 45C has spring assisted starting and the ability to add new line without
removing the spool.

The difference in price is $30. Do you think these two features are worth
the extra money? Why or why not?

Thanks for your replies.

David

try both before you buy