DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sheet Rock Screws (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/247977-sheet-rock-screws.html)

B. Johnson April 29th 08 04:06 PM

Sheet Rock Screws

In the past 2 or 3 years we have hung new sheet rock in a few of the
rooms in our home. We have noticed that you can now see where the
screw heads are. They look like dark spots on the walls. The screws
aren't pushing through they are just showing through. Any ideas on
what we are doing wrong? Thanks!

LouB April 29th 08 04:46 PM

Sheet Rock Screws

B. Johnson wrote:
In the past 2 or 3 years we have hung new sheet rock in a few of the
rooms in our home. We have noticed that you can now see where the
screw heads are. They look like dark spots on the walls. The screws
aren't pushing through they are just showing through. Any ideas on
what we are doing wrong? Thanks!

Did you put tape and spackle over the tape?
Try Google on installing sheet rock.

Lou

David Nebenzahl April 29th 08 07:01 PM

Sheet Rock Screws

On 4/29/2008 8:46 AM LouB spake thus:

B. Johnson wrote:
In the past 2 or 3 years we have hung new sheet rock in a few of the
rooms in our home. We have noticed that you can now see where the
screw heads are. They look like dark spots on the walls. The screws
aren't pushing through they are just showing through. Any ideas on
what we are doing wrong? Thanks!

Did you put tape and spackle over the tape?
Try Google on installing sheet rock.

Google won't help you if you don't know not to put tape over screws.
Tape goes over joints; you just use mud (not "spackle") over screws.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

benick[_2_] April 29th 08 07:41 PM

Sheet Rock Screws

""Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ :)"" wrote in
message ...
B. Johnson wrote:
In the past 2 or 3 years we have hung new sheet rock in a few of the
rooms in our home. We have noticed that you can now see where the
screw heads are. They look like dark spots on the walls. The screws
aren't pushing through they are just showing through. Any ideas on
what we are doing wrong? Thanks!

Perhaps you didn't screw them in far enough to get enough plaster over the
heads.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

I agree...Give them a quarter or half a turn hit and them with joint
compound 3 times and touch up the paint. In the future use a drywall
screwgun that will set them at the proper depth. Not to deep though or they
will pop through the sheetrock.... Good luck....

LouB April 29th 08 07:46 PM

Sheet Rock Screws

B. Johnson wrote:
In the past 2 or 3 years we have hung new sheet rock in a few of the
rooms in our home. We have noticed that you can now see where the
screw heads are. They look like dark spots on the walls. The screws
aren't pushing through they are just showing through. Any ideas on
what we are doing wrong? Thanks!

Did you put tape and spackle over the tape?
Try Google on installing sheet rock.

Google won't help you if you don't know not to put tape over screws.
Tape goes over joints; you just use mud (not "spackle") over screws.

You are right but screws are often very near joints.

dpb April 29th 08 07:58 PM

Sheet Rock Screws

B. Johnson wrote:
In the past 2 or 3 years we have hung new sheet rock in a few of the
rooms in our home. We have noticed that you can now see where the
screw heads are. They look like dark spots on the walls. The screws
aren't pushing through they are just showing through. Any ideas on
what we are doing wrong? Thanks!

Didn't set them deeply enough and mud them sufficiently, most likely.
Need to dimple the paper, but not pull through to break it.

John Gilmer April 29th 08 08:12 PM

Sheet Rock Screws

Didn't set them deeply enough and mud them sufficiently, most likely.
Need to dimple the paper, but not pull through to break it.

If the wood studs weren't dry enough when installed, they still do a little
bit of shrinking. This will tend to cause even screws to get a little
higher. The problem is worse for LONGER screws so you only use screws
long enough to hold.