DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing Oven Door (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/247873-removing-oven-door.html)

Ian[_4_] April 29th 08 02:48 AM

Removing Oven Door

In order to get the city to pick up my old oven (Jennair built-in
unit) I need to remove the door.

I know it requires some sort of lifting maneuver but I can't seem to
get it.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Ian

dpb April 29th 08 03:15 AM

Removing Oven Door

Ian wrote:
In order to get the city to pick up my old oven (Jennair built-in
unit) I need to remove the door.

I know it requires some sort of lifting maneuver but I can't seem to
get it.

Any tips?

Never had one of them, but the GE self-cleaning I'm familiar with have
one or two screws on the door that has to come out, then they just lift
off. The really old non-self-cleaning just lifted off--no screws.

Sometimes they are a little stuck and take some jostling to get started
if it's been quite a while since they've been off...

Norminn April 29th 08 03:35 AM

Removing Oven Door

Ian wrote:

In order to get the city to pick up my old oven (Jennair built-in
unit) I need to remove the door.

I know it requires some sort of lifting maneuver but I can't seem to
get it.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Ian

My ovens have always had doors that slide off the hinges - just open the
door and pull straight
out on the plane of the door. If that doesn work, check out Jennaire
website, as they usually
have users manuals for download.

Red Green April 29th 08 04:37 AM

Removing Oven Door

Ian wrote in news:bc64117d-1479-42a8-9747-2c05322874c1
@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

In order to get the city to pick up my old oven (Jennair built-in
unit) I need to remove the door.

I know it requires some sort of lifting maneuver but I can't seem to
get it.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Ian

What's wrong with you people? Even if it has doors that slide off the
hinges so what.

We are always fixin' broken ****. Just beat the **** out of it with a
sledge hammer. And if you're in an area where you can legally discharge a
rifle, a shotgun can conjure up some hardy laughs. Have some fun.

SteveB April 29th 08 07:53 AM

Removing Oven Door

"Ian" wrote in message
In order to get the city to pick up my old oven (Jennair built-in
unit) I need to remove the door.

I know it requires some sort of lifting maneuver but I can't seem to
get it.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Ian

Those mechanisms are like a Rubik's cube sometimes. You have to take these
two screws out so you can slide the hammusframmer to get at the REAL
setscrew that holds it on. And usually after you get it out, you see how
simple it really is. They are designed that way so dirt and crud don't
accumulate. It's old and worthless. Just start taking screws out. Many
times, after you take out screws, you just pull on the door, and it pulls
off the flatbar side arms it is screwed to, but are inside the door and you
can't see. And sometimes you have to lay down or stand on your head to see
the vital screws.

Steve

Jim Elbrecht April 29th 08 02:39 PM

Removing Oven Door

Ian wrote:

In order to get the city to pick up my old oven (Jennair built-in
unit) I need to remove the door.

I know it requires some sort of lifting maneuver but I can't seem to
get it.

Any tips?

3' crowbar? 8' digging bar? 10lb sledge? Acetylene? Angle grinder?
tow chain?

Taint brainsugery, it's going in the trash.

Jim

willshak April 29th 08 03:29 PM

Removing Oven Door

on 4/28/2008 9:35 PM Norminn said the following:
Ian wrote:

In order to get the city to pick up my old oven (Jennair built-in
unit) I need to remove the door.

I know it requires some sort of lifting maneuver but I can't seem to
get it.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Ian

My ovens have always had doors that slide off the hinges - just open
the door and pull straight
out on the plane of the door. If that doesn work, check out Jennaire
website, as they usually
have users manuals for download.

What he said, but some have latches on each hinge that hold the door to
the hinge mechanism. My Kenmore wall oven has the latches.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

HeyBub[_3_] April 29th 08 04:28 PM

Removing Oven Door

Ian wrote:
In order to get the city to pick up my old oven (Jennair built-in
unit) I need to remove the door.

I know it requires some sort of lifting maneuver but I can't seem to
get it.

Doesn't matter - the city won't pick it up anyway.

The city won't get the chance!

The urban faeries will get it before the city can put on their boots. Same
with water heaters, refrigerators, junked cars, whatever.

These untouchables make a passable living, evidently, prowling the streets
looking for scrap metal.

-------
My city has an ordinance that before they'll pick up a refrigerator it has
to have a notice that the refrigerant has been removed in a safe,
non-polluting, recoverable manner by a certified technician ordained by Al
Gore himself. I asked the head of Solid Waste Disposal (not the police
department, the other one) how many refrigerators they pick up a year and he
said about a hundred or so.

This in a city of two million.

Smitty Two April 29th 08 05:36 PM

Removing Oven Door

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Ian wrote:
[...]

So your refrigerators last about 20,000 years, MTBF? What brand did you
say that was?