Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Default Celotex? Old roof underlayment

Under the very old asphalt shingles on my house is 2 layers of 1/2 inch
sheet board, marked "Weyerhaeuser" "insulation sheathing board" "1B"
"R1.92" and "COMBUSTIBLE MAY SMOLDER OR BURN IF IGNITED" (and indeed it
does burn easily). It appears to be wood fiber composition board. It
may be 30+ years old. A small patch of it is rotted and below that is
good tongue and groove board, which may or may not be the very same T&G
boards that make up the exposed rafter ceiling of the room below. I have
no idea yet if there is one or two courses of T&G, but I do know there
is electrical wiring in the ceiling so it is either sandwiched between
courses of T&G or it is lying between the T&G and this sheathing board
stuff.

The roofer says this sheathing board is not up to current building code
and should be removed. What is this sheathing board called? The roofer
calls it celotex (?) but the celotex I find on the web seems to be an
entirely different product...?

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Celotex was a brand name that made siding and roofing stuff. I believe they
went bankrupt long ago and someone bought their name.

"Una" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Art wrote:
Celotex was a brand name that made siding and roofing stuff. I believe they
went bankrupt long ago and someone bought their name.

Sure. Weyerhaeuser is still in business, though. Anyway, my questions
are along the lines of:

What is this product called? The brand name or the general class name.
What is its R value?
Is it more flamable than what we might replace it with?
Is the product on my roof in good condition or bad condition?
Does it tend to rot? (The roof leaks, and may have done so for years.)

It is brown, except the upper surface which is black and oily. The
printed text on the upper surface is brown on the black and in places
still easy to read. The board feels rather soft and crumbles easily.

The roofer proposes to strip this stuff off completely, put on a 4 inch
insulation, put a 1/2 inch plywood or OSB decking on top of that, then
felt and shingle.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Una wrote:

The roofer proposes to strip this stuff off completely, put on a 4 inch
insulation, put a 1/2 inch plywood or OSB decking on top of that, then
felt and shingle.

Sounds like good plan to me -- the celotex is probably still fine except
for the places it is obviously not, but it is of marginal R value (I
don't know the numbers ottomh, but it wasn't really an insulating
product but an inexpensive sheathing product).

Consequently, what the roofer is proposing will probably save more in
heating/cooling costs in a relatively short time than the expense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
[...]

I didnt see the roofer proposing 4" of insulation, which is worthless
in a vented attic

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Unheated attics are to be insulated at the floor, unless I missed
something
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ransley wrote:
On Apr 28, 7:08 pm, dpb wrote:
Una wrote:

The roofer proposes to strip this stuff off completely, put on a 4 inch
insulation, put a 1/2 inch plywood or OSB decking on top of that, then
felt and shingle.

Sounds like good plan to me -- the celotex is probably still fine except
for the places it is obviously not, but it is of marginal R value (I
don't know the numbers ottomh, but it wasn't really an insulating
product but an inexpensive sheathing product).

Consequently, what the roofer is proposing will probably save more in
heating/cooling costs in a relatively short time than the expense.

--

Unheated attics are to be insulated at the floor, unless I missed
something

Cathedral roof sounds to me...t&g showing in the interior.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ransley wrote:
On Apr 28, 7:03 pm, (Una) wrote:
Una wrote:

I didnt see the roofer proposing 4" of insulation, which is worthless
in a vented attic

Guess you didn't see the "good tongue and groove board, which may or may
not be the very same T&G boards that make up the exposed rafter ceiling
of the room below", either. There is no attic afaict.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Correct, no attic. It is a low angle roof over cathedral ceiling with
exposed structural members and tongue and groove planking. That room is
cold in winter and hot in summer; a well insulated roof would pay for
itself in just a few years. I guess my questions are mostly academic,
but I also wonder if stripping off the fiber board is really necessary.
I suppose it presents a technical problem if 4 inch insulation is to be
put on above deck. And I would like to be sure that new insulation
will make a significant difference.

Una
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Una wrote:
Correct, no attic. It is a low angle roof over cathedral ceiling with
exposed structural members and tongue and groove planking. That room is
cold in winter and hot in summer; a well insulated roof would pay for
itself in just a few years. I guess my questions are mostly academic,
but I also wonder if stripping off the fiber board is really necessary.
I suppose it presents a technical problem if 4 inch insulation is to be
put on above deck. And I would like to be sure that new insulation
will make a significant difference.

If there was no insulation other than the celotex before, it will make a
significant difference. A quick look didn't find data in my handbook,
but I'm comfortable an inch of old celotex isn't anything remotely
approaching an inch of a modern solid-foam in effectiveness.

One disadvantage I see given what you've already stated in leaving it
there is you can't see the condition of the sheathing underneath before
you cover it back up -- you've already mentioned it's leaked before and
there is visible damage in places. I'd want to know what else is there
hidden before putting the new back on.

I'm still of the opinion sounds like your roofer is doing you well--I'd
go with him on this one from all I can tell from here (which, of course,
isn't a lot ) but I think his is the right call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Una wrote:
[...]

Second the recommendation to follow the roofers plan, what he suggests
is very reasonable. 4" of rigid foam insulation will be a huge
improvement.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Celotex is a brand name for a wood fiber sheathing board. It comes in 4 foot
x 8, 10, 12 foot lengths, sometimes for roofing it is available in smaller
sizes. It is made in various versions, in the early 50s it had a very smooth
surface and was used for wall covering before drywall was popular. I still
see the tar impregnated version use as exterior wall sheathing under siding
or brick veneer. It is generically known as "insulboard" and a common brand
name of "ten-test" in many areas and is used in many cheaper building
techniques but has been replaced by many newer products. Its original name
of "insulboard" implied it added insulation value, but it was miniscule.

"Una" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

From original post:

Under the very old asphalt shingles on my house is 2 layers of 1/2
inch sheet board, marked "Weyerhaeuser" "insulation sheathing board"
"1B" "R1.92"

I'm guessing that the old stuff has an R value of 1.92.

The 4" foam would be much better, and keeping this old stuff really wouldn't
help much.

Sounds like you've got a good roofer.

HTH,
Vicki
Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Victoria Heisner wrote:
I'm guessing that the old stuff has an R value of 1.92.

You think? :-)

Well, the job is finished. The old inch of fiber board is gone. On
the whole it was in very good condition but in some areas it was mush.
The T&G under the fiber board was in very good condition throughout.
Whew!

Thanks for the feedback, all!

Una