Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Woodchuck Bombs

There's a woodchuck living under my shed. Bugger burrowed under the
wall into the lean-to, then dug front and back doors to his home under
the main shed.

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

I'd like to toss one in the hole under my shed and suffocate the SOB,
but I also don't want to set the shed on fire... Anybody know if these
smoke bombs actually burn with open flame, get really hot, or what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

Could you use CO2 to suffocate him, since it's heavier than air?

Too bad they don't make M80's any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 6:03*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,

wrote:
There's a woodchuck living under my shed. Bugger burrowed under the
wall into the lean-to, then dug front and back doors to his home under
the main shed.

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

I'd like to toss one in the hole under my shed and suffocate the SOB,
but I also don't want to set the shed on fire... Anybody know if these
smoke bombs actually burn with open flame, get really hot, or what?

* The ones that I set off about 30 years ago worked by burning of a
mixture of red phosphorus and some oxidizer. *They do get hot. *There is
definitely a flame, though I don't see it. *The flame may be dim and
obscured by the smoke.

*- Don Klipstein )

Giant Destroyer, if its in a hole you wont have a fire, I used them in
my home, a basement to kill thousands of spiders, and I saw squirels
come out coughing, { it reallty was funny} the squatting ****ers
wouldnt leave. Its poison to you also, and I bet will kill termites,
as it killed a dirt basements million bugs as I rehabbed it. For a
basement, put in metal bucket, and that bucket in a metal bucket of
water, and leave for a day, No More Bugs, no more termites, you need
to use a pack or 2, and fume will kill ya, so run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

Could you use CO2 to suffocate him, since it's heavier than air?

Too bad they don't make M80's any more.

Tried lots of things on local pocket gophers. Am currently making a
oxygen/propane device to flood the tunnel and ignite it. Down side is that
you don't want to use it anywhere close to buildings, as a couple of
Canadians recently found out. 20 acres burned and $200,000 damage to
outbuildings and machinery. They got off with a $1500 fine each, IIRC.

Try exhaust. Lawnmower, tiller, ATV, car, whatever you got.

They can throw up a blockage in a tunnel in a heartbeat, so it may take a
couple of three tries to get them.

The tunnel exploders have an advantage in that they collapse a lot of the
tunnel, burying the occupants, and not just hanging out a "Burrow Empty"
sign for the next interloper. But not that close to any structure. I've
gotten some pretty good low "thump" sounds from deep explosions, and then
some shallow surface ones that sounded like a .357 Magnum with a short
barrel close to your ear. If the gas goes out a vent, it hugs the ground
and can ignite grass or anything flammable, as was the case with the
Canadians. If it fills a shed, you got one of them Mythbusters explosions.

Steve

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 4:59*pm, wrote:
There's a woodchuck living under my shed. Bugger burrowed under the
wall into the lean-to, then dug front and back doors to his home under
the main shed.

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

I'd like to toss one in the hole under my shed and suffocate the SOB,
but I also don't want to set the shed on fire... Anybody know if these
smoke bombs actually burn with open flame, get really hot, or what?

Could you try flooding the little ******* out with a garden hose?
Being that it's a shed, water shouldn't really cause a problem to the
structure unless it is also close to your house?? Then when he comes
out just be ready with a club or something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 2:59*pm, wrote:
There's a woodchuck living under my shed. Bugger burrowed under the
wall into the lean-to, then dug front and back doors to his home under
the main shed.

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

I'd like to toss one in the hole under my shed and suffocate the SOB,
but I also don't want to set the shed on fire... Anybody know if these
smoke bombs actually burn with open flame, get really hot, or what?

If yiou can find a local pest control with a 'gopher getter" (I think
that's the name) it does a very good job. Pumps liquid ammonia
nitrate (fertilyzer) in. doesn't take much, it turns to gas and kills
almost instantly.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't remember the name of this device. It looks like a big metal
detector. It floods the burrows with flammable gas, then ignites it.

The concussion kills everything instantly.

I thought it was something like The Ratinator, but I didn't find
anything like that.

I do remember that they were availble for rent.

If you shoved a ferret down there, who would win?
Posted to alt.home.repair

YEAH!

RODENATOR!

http://www.rodenator.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

how about a havehart trap and move the resident far away.

its your own fault if you had poured a concrete floor a room for rent
sign wouldnt be outside your shed.......

as a neighbor of mine found out.

i put in a concrete floor, he cheaped out on wood and has had all
sorts of residents.

just curious exactly how is his presence damaging you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
I can't remember the name of this device. It looks like a big metal
detector. It floods the burrows with flammable gas, then ignites it.

The concussion kills everything instantly.

I thought it was something like The Ratinator, but I didn't find
anything like that.

I do remember that they were availble for rent.

If you shoved a ferret down there, who would win?

Rodenator. Google it, and watch the videos. Impressive, but a little
ambiguous, and some safety practices of theirs concern me. Notice how close
the guy is to the hole he's putting gas in. Like standing close to the
muzzle of a cannon.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message
On Apr 28, 4:59 pm, wrote:
There's a woodchuck living under my shed. Bugger burrowed under the
wall into the lean-to, then dug front and back doors to his home under
the main shed.

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

I'd like to toss one in the hole under my shed and suffocate the SOB,
but I also don't want to set the shed on fire... Anybody know if these
smoke bombs actually burn with open flame, get really hot, or what?

Could you try flooding the little ******* out with a garden hose?
Being that it's a shed, water shouldn't really cause a problem to the
structure unless it is also close to your house?? Then when he comes
out just be ready with a club or something?

I've done that and gotten them, and then just ran water into a hole for two
hours with no sign of where it's coming out.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
There's a woodchuck living under my shed. Bugger burrowed under the
wall into the lean-to, then dug front and back doors to his home under
the main shed.

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

I'd like to toss one in the hole under my shed and suffocate the SOB,
but I also don't want to set the shed on fire... Anybody know if these
smoke bombs actually burn with open flame, get really hot, or what?

Turn it into a pet?

I met "Harriet" at an Audubon Society sanctuary near Pittsburgh - just kind
of ambling about, just doing her thing. Since we don't have those in Texas,
I offered to trade an armadillo for a ground hog. The executive director was
aghast!

"No way!" he said. "Can you imagine what would happen if an armadillo
wandered out in front of a little old lady walking our nature trails?"

As an aside, I did see one clever item at the Audubon Society. Take a
three-sided aquarium (you can find them next to the dumpsters at apartment
houses), line these three sides with one-way window film. Fashion a top and
mount the whole thing in your breakfast room window.

Open the top, dump in some bird seed, replace the top.

Presently, the little birdies will come to join you for breakfast! They see
only their reflection, but you see them, really up close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote in
:

wrote in message
news
I can't remember the name of this device. It looks like a big metal
detector. It floods the burrows with flammable gas, then ignites it.

The concussion kills everything instantly.

I thought it was something like The Ratinator, but I didn't find
anything like that.

I do remember that they were availble for rent.

If you shoved a ferret down there, who would win?

Rodenator. Google it, and watch the videos. Impressive, but a little
ambiguous, and some safety practices of theirs concern me. Notice how
close the guy is to the hole he's putting gas in. Like standing close
to the muzzle of a cannon.

Steve

I want to come by, bring a kettle BBQ, lawn chair, some dogs, chips and
drinks for this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 12:10*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
As I understand, woodchuck bombs are to get em to the surface, so you can
shoot them. I tried a couple in a farmers field, one time. No woodchuck came
out.

My trailer had (past tense) a woodchuck. I got two buckets of rock from a
farmer's field. Lit a 15 minute highway road flare "fusee" and stuffed that
in the hole. Quick, dump two bucket of rocks in, and back fill with dirt. No
more woodchuck.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

There's a woodchuck living under my shed. Bugger burrowed under the
wall into the lean-to, then dug front and back doors to his home under
the main shed.

We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

I'd like to toss one in the hole under my shed and suffocate the SOB,
but I also don't want to set the shed on fire... Anybody know if these
smoke bombs actually burn with open flame, get really hot, or what?

You could put the bomb in a long pipe with one end closed and have
only the gas come out, since it burns like a flair maybe a 6ft pipe,
how about mothballs or amonia or a radio.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote in
:

wrote in message
news
I can't remember the name of this device. It looks like a big metal
detector. It floods the burrows with flammable gas, then ignites it.

The concussion kills everything instantly.

I thought it was something like The Ratinator, but I didn't find
anything like that.

I do remember that they were availble for rent.

If you shoved a ferret down there, who would win?

Rodenator. Google it, and watch the videos. Impressive, but a little
ambiguous, and some safety practices of theirs concern me. Notice how
close the guy is to the hole he's putting gas in. Like standing close
to the muzzle of a cannon.

Steve

I want to come by, bring a kettle BBQ, lawn chair, some dogs, chips and
drinks for this.

Me, or the Rodenator? In the videos, they appear to do an effective job.
Yet a couple of times, you see the operator take a face shield full of dirt.
They use full face shields and ear protection, but anything that will blow
dirt fifty feet in the air will blow a rock fast enough to put a hurt on
you.

I've done this four times now, and learned enough to reconfigure the device.
It's getting to be gopher time around here, and I want to arrive at a final
design so I can try to make some money with this. I already have a couple
of ranchers interested. I just want it to work when I go out to do it, and
not have any nasty surprises.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote in
:

wrote in message
news I can't remember the name of this device. It looks like a big metal
[...]

Take a cell phone if they work there. Hopefully you still in shape enough
to call!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 6:32 pm, wrote:
We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

Could you use CO2 to suffocate him, since it's heavier than air?

Too bad they don't make M80's any more.

They still make M-44s...
http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps3025/fsm44.html
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 6:10*pm, ransley wrote:
You could put the bomb in a long pipe with one end closed and have
only the gas come out, since it burns like a flair maybe a 6ft pipe,
how about mothballs or amonia or a radio.

I like the pipe idea.

I've tried all the non-lethal remedies like mothballs, Irish Spring
soap, and a spice-based repellant concoction that's sold by Home
Depot. The little ******* took a shower with the soap, packed his
winter clothes with the mothballs, and used the repellant to season
his food!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, recently I've seen self-built smoke bombs at instructables.com
made of sugar (caramel, so to say) and saltpeter. This smoke
production is a redox-reaction between the components. I expect that
there is no other oxygen needed. After ignition it shouldeven burn
when covered.

virtpuPIC
--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
http://www.airspace-v.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gpsman" wrote in message
On Apr 28, 6:32 pm, wrote:
We used to use "woodchuck bombs" to kill woodchucks in the fields.
These are just glorified smoke bombs, woodchuck sized. Haven't seen
one in 20 years, and don't remember how they worked.

Could you use CO2 to suffocate him, since it's heavier than air?

Too bad they don't make M80's any more.

They still make M-44s...
http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps3025/fsm44.html
-----

- gpsman

There's a case here in Utah where a man tugged on a cyanide device, not
knowing what it was. It discharged, causing him permanent impairment.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 3:17 am, "SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:
"gpsman" wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:32 pm, wrote:

Too bad they don't make M80's any more.

They still make M-44s...
http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps3025/fsm44.html

There's a case here in Utah where a man tugged on a cyanide device, not
knowing what it was. It discharged, causing him permanent impairment.

He should have stuck to tugging on what he was good at.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gpsman" wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:32 pm, wrote:

Too bad they don't make M80's any more.

They still make M-44s...
http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps3025/fsm44.html

There's a case here in Utah where a man tugged on a cyanide device, not
knowing what it was. It discharged, causing him permanent impairment.

He should have stuck to tugging on what he was good at.
-----

- gpsman

He was on federal land. Land he actually owned.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

feed garden hose into tunnell hole.pour gallon of bleach then quart of
amonia .dont breath it.lucas