Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decorative painting

On 4/28/2008 1:22 PM Ray K spake thus:

I plan to use the sponge-on technique, with one or two coats over the
latex base coat. Almost everything I've read talks about using glazes
over the base coat, with glaze meaning a transparent "paint" that I
would tint to which ever color I choose, using separately bought
coloring agents.

Rather than going to this trouble and expense, why can't I simply have a
paint dealer tint a latex paint of the same sheen to the color I want,
selected from one of those ubiquitous color cards that all paint stores
display?

Or why can't you even just mix it yourself? I've done a little faux-type
painting this way, just experimenting with mixing my own colors. For a
glaze, start with white and mix in colors. Think it for a glaze-y look.
Try it out on a test surface, and just play with it until you get some
good results. No need to use the "official" glazes.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:

I plan to use the sponge-on technique, with one or two coats over the
latex base coat. Almost everything I've read talks about using glazes
over the base coat, with glaze meaning a transparent "paint" that I
would tint to which ever color I choose, using separately bought
coloring agents.

Rather than going to this trouble and expense, why can't I simply have
a paint dealer tint a latex paint of the same sheen to the color I
want, selected from one of those ubiquitous color cards that all paint
stores display?

Thanks,

Ray

You can't get precisely the same effect using glaze vs. paint. Some
techniques require the base color to show and take on only a trasparent
effect of the glaze color. For sponging, unless you want a very suble
effect, paint would be the best choice. A glaze with a heavy mix of
paint sponged on might give you more of the second color than if you
take straight paint and sponge it on very lightly. The whole idea of a
glaze is to be able to give a transparent tint - if you thinned paint
with water for the transparent effect, it wouldn't have enough binder to
stick, thus the glaze. Your way sounds fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K writes:

I plan to use the sponge-on technique, with one or two coats over the
latex base coat. Almost everything I've read talks about using glazes
over the base coat, with glaze meaning a transparent "paint" that I
would tint to which ever color I choose, using separately bought
coloring agents.

Rather than going to this trouble and expense, why can't I simply have
a paint dealer tint a latex paint of the same sheen to the color I
want, selected from one of those ubiquitous color cards that all paint
stores display?

I've used paint over paint. Works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:29:10 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

Ray K wrote:

[...]

This is a good question for the ladies at the beauty shop...)

My limited understanding is that without using a glaze, one color
paint can absorb another color. By glazing you maintain the base
color. As mentioned the transparency / translucence effect.

If colors bleed together; it may not be what you desired.

Housewives I've seen that faux paint, always include the glazing
process.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
I plan to use the sponge-on technique, with one or two coats over the
latex base coat. Almost everything I've read talks about using glazes
over the base coat, with glaze meaning a transparent "paint" that I
would tint to which ever color I choose, using separately bought
coloring agents.

Rather than going to this trouble and expense, why can't I simply have
a paint dealer tint a latex paint of the same sheen to the color I
want, selected from one of those ubiquitous color cards that all paint
stores display?

Thanks,

Ray

Thanks, everyone.

This is the only site of the dozen or so I've visited that actually
recommended latex second and third coats rather than glazes for sponging on.
http://www.artsparx.com/sponging.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:21:59 -0500, Ray K
wrote:

Ray K wrote:
I plan to use the sponge-on technique, with one or two coats over the
latex base coat. Almost everything I've read talks about using glazes
over the base coat, with glaze meaning a transparent "paint" that I
would tint to which ever color I choose, using separately bought
coloring agents.

Rather than going to this trouble and expense, why can't I simply have
a paint dealer tint a latex paint of the same sheen to the color I
want, selected from one of those ubiquitous color cards that all paint
stores display?

Thanks,

Ray

Thanks, everyone.

This is the only site of the dozen or so I've visited that actually
recommended latex second and third coats rather than glazes for sponging on.
http://www.artsparx.com/sponging.html

Sponging with colors; is not the same as faux panting with glaze. You
will do fine.

With a sponge and a dab of paint you can make the job look any way you
want. Hard to mess it up

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 3:22*pm, Ray K wrote:
I plan to use the sponge-on technique, with one or two coats over the
latex base coat. Almost everything I've read talks about using glazes
over the base coat, with glaze meaning a transparent "paint" that I
would tint to which ever color I choose, using separately bought
coloring agents.

Rather than going to this trouble and expense, why can't I simply have a
paint dealer tint a latex paint of the same sheen to the color I want,
selected from one of those ubiquitous color cards that all paint stores
display?

Thanks,

Ray

Thats what pros do, but a final coat might be different, its all
paint, cheap water base stuff, tint is free, or go where it is,