Posted to alt.home.repair
D J D J is offline

Default Locating Pipes in wall

Folks,

I am getting a new gas line in my house. So far everything is electric
(heat, water heater, cook range everything). You can understand my
aggression to go for Gas due to the electric bills.

I called up the utility company and they will run the gas line to my
house for free. Now, I have to run it inside the house (no basement).

I located a nipple outside the house, which is generally used for Gas.
One plumber also said the same.

problem is, I don't know if previous owner(s) really ran the line
already or it was just for something else.

I need to find out if the metal gas pipes are already running in my
house so before gutting the wall, I can save some money.

any ideas on how to locate it without much disturbance to walls? would
infrared cameras work?

Thanks,
DJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

D J wrote:
[...]

You may be able to use a metal detector (treasure hunting)
to locate within wall.

But I'm very suspicious. Why would a previous owner
have run gas lines thru the house when there wasn't service?

If you do find any, you'll need to verify by pressure testing.
(I imagine the utility will want evidence of testing before
they will set the meter anyway.)

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 7:55*am, Speedy Jim wrote:
D J wrote:
[...]

Jim-

The previous owner or builder could have the run the gas line for
"future use" or when access was available due to other work because
"now is the time to do it".

It is not inconceivable that someone would run gas line or conduit and
then not use it for a long time.

But the existing needs to be pressure tested and located before
"hotting".

OP-

Is you house slab on grade or crawl space construction?

Some of the higher end "stud finders" can locate power runs, fresh
water, drains & gas lines.........my stud finder identifies them but
not with super good reliability.

IR cameras display temperature differences, if the gas line is in an
interior wall it might not cause enough temperature difference at the
wall surface for the camera to pick it up.

I'd suggest the stud finder & then SJ's metal detector suggestion
next.

If you don't have a decent stud finder these are pretty good
multifunction units. It generally get me pretty close & I verify with
drill or ice pick.

http://www.zircon.com/products/center.html

I think mine is the 500 or 520

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

IF, and that is IF that is a gas line, it must go somewhere. Look for a
capped pipe where the kitchen stove, dryer or heater would be installed. If
the end is buried in the wall, it will be impossible to locate. If you have
a crawl space follow the pipe and see where it goes. If your house is on a
slab, the pipe should not be under the concrete like water pipes but should
run within the walls and or ceiling to the point of use. Also what size is
the pipe, you really don't want a line that is less than a nominal 1" size
if you are going to have multiple uses, which would be a little less than 1
1/4" in outside diameter.

"D J" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

D J wrote:

[...]

Check with the municipality to see of they have original plans or
permits on file for the home. Our
town has blueprints on file for our condo, with all wiring, plumbing, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

D J wrote:
Folks,

I am getting a new gas line in my house. So far everything is electric
(heat, water heater, cook range everything). You can understand my
aggression to go for Gas due to the electric bills.

I called up the utility company and they will run the gas line to my
house for free. Now, I have to run it inside the house (no basement).

I located a nipple outside the house, which is generally used for Gas.
One plumber also said the same.

problem is, I don't know if previous owner(s) really ran the line
already or it was just for something else.

I need to find out if the metal gas pipes are already running in my
house so before gutting the wall, I can save some money.

any ideas on how to locate it without much disturbance to walls? would
infrared cameras work?

As one poster essentially said: the other end of the pipe has to be
somewhere. If you can find another capped pipe, it should be a simple matter
to discover whether the two ends are connected (Hint: use a 12-volt
transformer and a doorbell).

Just thought of something: If you take off the existing nipple, does water
come out? If so, that's not the pipe you want.

If you could feed some sound into the pipe, maybe a stethoscope could track
its path? Have someone flog the exposed pipe with a reciprocating saw (no
blade). That should generate sufficient din to be heard down the block!

Posted to alt.home.repair

D J wrote:
[...]

Bingo! I don't remember the exact years, but there was a period of a
couple 3 years 20-30 years ago, where you couldn't GET new gas service
in parts of the country. Any houses being built at the time had to make
other arrangements in a hurry.

I don't remember the cause- something related to the first oil crisis,
probably.

--
aem sends...