Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC broken!

My AC is broken, as the temperature rise above the threshold I can hear the
click and the AC unit starts to have a small hum and also the water dripping
and static noises but no air blowing.

Does it sound like something common or I need a pro to diagnose? I think I
need a pro but no one on Sunday so have to wait till next week, but if
anyone has some idea of simple things to check would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

kust a shot, put the fan to run position. spin the fan blower by hand to
get it started. if it starts you can run with it on all the time till
you get capacitor changed. just set ac to auto ,fan on run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:05 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
My AC is broken, as the temperature rise above the threshold I can hear the
click and the AC unit starts to have a small hum and also the water dripping
and static noises but no air blowing.

Does it sound like something common or I need a pro to diagnose? I think I
need a pro but no one on Sunday so have to wait till next week, but if
anyone has some idea of simple things to check would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

MC

If you are knowledgable enough about electrical stuff to be safe, you
can try checking the contactors that control the fans.
You have two fans: one for the outside condensor and one for the
inside evaporator (this one moves the air in the house).

In my AC, the contactors are easily accessible on the outside unit.
If the coil fails, the contactor won't pull closed. If the contacts
themselves are bad, they close but the fan doesn't operate.

If the outside unit hums, but the fans aren't turning, I have been
advised that you don't want to let this happen very long, or the
compressor fails and your repair just got a lot bigger. It has to do
with high pressures in the refrigerant lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 12:18*pm, wrote:
kust a shot, put the fan to run position. spin the fan blower by hand to
get it started. if it starts you can run with it on all the time till
you get capacitor changed. just set ac to auto ,fan on run.

----------------------------------------------------------------http://www..minibite.com/america/malone.htm

how could water be dripping if the blower isnt moving air over the
coil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

My AC is broken, as the temperature rise above the threshold I can hear the
click and the AC unit starts to have a small hum and also the water dripping
and static noises but no air blowing.

Does it sound like something common or I need a pro to diagnose? I think I
need a pro but no one on Sunday so have to wait till next week, but if
anyone has some idea of simple things to check would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Try posting your question at:

alt.hvac

You'll probably get lots more answers there.

Jeff (Can't resist...)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:

My AC is broken, as the temperature rise above the threshold I can
hear the click and the AC unit starts to have a small hum and also the
water dripping and static noises but no air blowing.

Does it sound like something common or I need a pro to diagnose? I
think I need a pro but no one on Sunday so have to wait till next
week, but if anyone has some idea of simple things to check would
really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Try posting your question at:

alt.hvac

You'll probably get lots more answers there.

Jeff (Can't resist...)

Hi,
What kinda unit? Central a/c, window mount? Ductless?
Sounds like motor capacitor is gone bad. This is easy fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:54:31 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Try posting your question at:

alt.hvac

You'll probably get lots more answers there.

Jeff (Can't resist...)

BFG! Before, I did that I would check for a dirty filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try posting your question at:

alt.hvac

You'll probably get lots more answers there.

Jeff (Can't resist...)

BFG! Before, I did that I would check for a dirty filter.

Hi,
Actually good place to go is forum at www.hvacmechanic.com.
Very good folks there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I am not too comfortable with things electrical, guess I will get a
pro here in the morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

What did they find? Was it a defective blower motor?
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC broken! ALL EXPERTS

Thanks. I am not too comfortable with things electrical, guess I
will get a pro here in the morning.

What did they find? Was it a defective blower motor?

Mine..on different thread..was a dead START CAPACITOR.

I got the BEST INTERNET ADVICE I' VE EVER SEEN at www.allexperts.com

I can't say how well these guys do over there. Asking here is OK but of
course, we aren't all EXPERTS. The guy there sent me info and
diagrams(websites) that walked me right thru it. A local "air" guy had come
by and said it was probably the motor (part, no labor $ 185.00)
I went and bought the appropriate capacitor ( $ 2.57 !! ) Yes.. TWO
DOLLARS.
The original one was Made in the USA (1990) but since the new one was Made
in China, I got TWO for $ 5.00.
It took me about half an hour to remove the old one, plug in the new one and
away it went..Fixed for $ 5.00

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Was a bad capacity. Paid $185.00 for a 30 minute visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:19:40 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I checked the breakers and no problem. Finally called an AC guy and
diagnosed to be a dead capacitor. Now it's working, after $185.00.

In Miami; you saved money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

MiamiCuse wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
et...

wrote:

kust a shot, put the fan to run position. spin the fan blower by hand
get it started. if it starts you can run with it on all the time till
you get capacitor changed. just set ac to auto ,fan on run.

Yes, if you get a hum and water i.e. condensation dripping the
compressor and refrigerant are probably ok. Don't let it run like that
since it will eventually freeze up without airflow. If it's just the
fan
that's not working it should be fairly easy to fix. BTW, it would help
to specify if this is a window unit vs. central since that makes some
difference in the diagnosis.

It's central air. Fan is not working I manually switched fan from "Auto"
"On" and nothing.

That changes the prognosis quite a bit since unlike a window unit, the
inside and outside unit fans for central are of course separate. Is it
the inside fan only that is not working, and the outside fan is ok? If
it's just the inside air handler that isn't running, it could be as
simple as a tripped or shut off circuit breaker, since the inside and
outside units are typically on different circuits.

I checked the breakers and no problem. Finally called an AC guy and
diagnosed to be a dead capacitor. Now it's working, after $185.00.

Hi,
Most common problem. Often you can visually point to a bad. There two,
for starting and run for the motor. Some times there are two separte
ones or two in one can. Capacitor is not that expensive. If you can
match exact parts for caps, always use higher value one.

I got the BEST INTERNET ADVICE I' VE EVER SEEN at www.allexperts.com

I can't say how well these guys do over there. Asking here is OK but
of course, we aren't all EXPERTS. The guy there sent me info and
diagrams(websites) that walked me right thru it. A local "air" guy
had come by and said it was probably the motor (part, no labor $
185.00) I went and bought the appropriate capacitor ( $ 2.57 !! )
Yes.. TWO DOLLARS.
The original one was Made in the USA (1990) but since the new one was
Made in China, I got TWO for $ 5.00.
It took me about half an hour to remove the old one, plug in the new
one and away it went..Fixed for $ 5.00

Well I wan't as lucky as you but I got something good out of it. One of
the HUD Wrecks I had a few years ago had the blower go out in a split
heat pump. Same thing. Humm from the motor in the air handler. Had used
this company before. Described problem and that it didn't work on cool,
heat or air. Gave him all the equipment info on phone.

He comes by and says if I'm lucky it's just the start cap and that's
maybe 15 bucks plus 75 trip charge. NG :-( Had to put blower motor in.
200 parts, labor and trip charge. Brought proper cap and motor since I
gave him equipment info beforehand.

So what did I get good? An honest troubleshooting. He told me about it
and tried the cap first. That's worth something. That's why he's the one
putting the new HVAC system in this HUD wreck in a couple of weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Geesh! What was the cost for the trip charge? Where are you located? Of
course, I could guess Miami.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Was a bad capacity. Paid $185.00 for a 30 minute visit.

Thats CAPACITOR...too bad, I fixed (replaced) mine in half an hour..the part
was $ 2.57

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote: In Miami; you saved money.
,since capactors are about 3.00 each in store.

broken nut 3G Home Repair 5 April 25th 07 08:35 PM
I think its BROKEN!!! [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 2nd 07 11:22 PM
Trinitron Monitor Broken - Made Clicking Noises, Now Broken [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 05 11:57 PM
FA: Broken PIONEER DVL-V888 Laserdisc DVD / Broken sharp VL-H860U Hi8camcorder w/ LCD Screen robotron -X- Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 04 04:30 AM