DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Battery back up sump pump question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/247689-battery-back-up-sump-pump-question.html)

Steve April 27th 08 06:35 PM

Battery back up sump pump question

Hello, I have a Wayne battery back up sump pump model ESP15 and it
eats up a brand new deep cycle marine battery about every 1 - 2 years
whether it gets used or not. I think it is because the AC charger is
always plugged in and over time will "cook" the battery to death. Has
anyone else had this experience with this pump? What type of battery
is best to use in this location? Would one of the new "dry" cell
batteries work better? Would it be better to charge the battery to
full condition and then unplug the charger and check for charge
condition every week or so and charge as needed? Thanks for any
suggestions!
Steve

dpb April 27th 08 06:49 PM

Steve wrote:
Hello, I have a Wayne battery back up sump pump model ESP15 and it
eats up a brand new deep cycle marine battery about every 1 - 2 years
whether it gets used or not. I think it is because the AC charger is
always plugged in and over time will "cook" the battery to death. Has
anyone else had this experience with this pump? What type of battery
is best to use in this location? Would one of the new "dry" cell
batteries work better? Would it be better to charge the battery to
full condition and then unplug the charger and check for charge
condition every week or so and charge as needed? Thanks for any
suggestions!

A couple, many others or variations of the above are possible.

Ideally, get a charger that is sensitive to battery state so doesn't
charge except when required.

Alternatively, your solution helps albeit w/ some "bother factor". A
timer could reduce that some.

I'd also recommend using the pump on some periodic frequency both as a
test of the pump's availability if/when required and the cycling of the
battery will help its condition as well.

Alternatively, consider the venturi-style water-driven backup if it's an
emergency-only situation and could ditch the battery altogether.

Rich April 27th 08 06:52 PM

"Steve" wrote in message
Hello, I have a Wayne battery back up sump pump model ESP15 and it
eats up a brand new deep cycle marine battery about every 1 - 2 years
whether it gets used or not. I think it is because the AC charger is
always plugged in and over time will "cook" the battery to death. Has
anyone else had this experience with this pump? What type of battery
is best to use in this location? Would one of the new "dry" cell
batteries work better? Would it be better to charge the battery to
full condition and then unplug the charger and check for charge
condition every week or so and charge as needed? Thanks for any
suggestions!
Steve

If you are on city water look into a pump from Zoellar sp it runs off of
city water and pumps one gallon for every gallon it uses from the city. No
moving parts and just sits there waiting to be used. Saved my butt two
times. It's basicly a foot valve from a water system with reverse sensing
(turns on when water is high enough to float it's weighted float).

Rich

Steve April 27th 08 07:08 PM

On Apr 27, 11:52*am, "Rich" madeyoulook@localhost wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

I am on a well system so not sure if that would help me or not??
However, I will look up info on that pump. This must be what "dpb"
suggests also?

I may have caused myself some of the problem as I have not been
'testing" the pump as much as I should have been and thus not
discharging the battery every so often. I am planning to buy my 3rd
battery in about 5 - 6 years so just wondering if I should get a
really good one with lots of reserve time (200 minutes) or a middle of
the road battery (140 - 160 minutes)?? I will put on the calander
each month a day that will be to run down the battery. I have always
used the plug in low voltage charger that came with the pump. Maybe
there is something better??
Thanks!

Steve

ransley April 27th 08 07:09 PM

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Zoeller and basepump make water powered pumps, if he has city water,
they outpump battery pumps.

Steve April 27th 08 07:21 PM

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

they outpump battery pumps.- Hide quoted text -

I just looked up Zoeller pumps and they have a battery back up pump
with a Quoted "Unlike a car or marine battery, the battery supplied as
part of the UltraSump backup sump pump system is specially engineered
to withstand long periods of remaining unused. So if you're
considering an alternate system, be sure that the battery connected to
your sump pump system is not simply a car or marine battery." Could
this battery be the "dry cell" type???

Thanks again!
Steve

ransley April 27th 08 07:57 PM

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

it could be overcharging or undercharging it should charge to 13.3 or
so and go to maybe 12.6, lower than that it will sulfate, unused it
should last maybe 30 years or more. Probably a bad charger.

Bob F April 27th 08 08:29 PM

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

If it is overcharging, the OP could put it on a timer to only charge an hour a
day. Bypass the charger for a day after significant use.

ransley April 27th 08 09:01 PM

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

day. Bypass the charger for a day after significant use.- Hide quoted text -

No he needs a good smart charger, and to test volts himself, no need
to guess on it, 1 hr could be too much.

[email protected] April 27th 08 11:10 PM

Battery back up sump pump question

if the home is higher than the street run a underground line to
daylight.

gravity is highly reliable and it will end your flood concerns:)

amazing how many people have sump pumps and homes sit above
grade......

easy fix no more batteries needed

or if elevation is marginal you can run a sump overfill spill line to
somewhere convenient

Steve April 27th 08 11:16 PM

On Apr 27, 2:01*pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:29*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

to guess on it, 1 hr could be too much.- Hide quoted text -

Have any of you had any experience with "Optima" brand batteries?
They supposedly are 3X longer lasting than regular lead acid batteries
and can hold a full charge for months if not used. They are totally
sealed batteries except for an overpressure safety vent. Probably
what Zoeller uses in their battery back up system although they don't
specifically say so??

Steve April 27th 08 11:28 PM

On Apr 27, 4:10*pm, " wrote:
if the home is higher than the street run a underground line to
daylight.

Yes my house is higher than the surrounding area --- but my basement,
where the sump pump is, sits in a big hole.

gravity is highly reliable and it will end your flood concerns:)

Gravity is highly reliable to bring ground water into my basment and
cause a flood.

amazing how many people have sump pumps and homes sit above
grade......

My next house will not have a basement, nor will it need to have a
sump pump because it will sit above grade.

easy fix no more batteries needed

Yea right!

or if elevation is marginal you can run a sump overfill spill line to
somewhere convenient

There's nothing lower around here except my neighbors basement. Not
very convenient.

Thanks for a good laugh though! :-)

Steve

Banty April 27th 08 11:36 PM

Battery back up sump pump question

In article ,
says...

if the home is higher than the street run a underground line to
daylight.

Doesn't mean where the sump pump is, is above grade.

Banty

Worn out Retread April 29th 08 04:34 PM

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Look for a charging system that shuts itself off untill a predetermined
voltage is reached before recharging. There are also charging systems that
will "cycle" the battery down to a low voltage on a regular basis to
exercise the battery a bit.

--
Ron P

If we are what we eat then: I'm fast,