Posted to alt.home.repair
DJW DJW is offline

Default Trying to match old mortar

I have a 55-year-old cut squared block stone house. The stone is in
need of tuck-pointing in some areas.

First off is it called tuck-pointing when it is not brick but stone?
The other thing is how do I go about to try to mix matching mortar? It
looks like a lot of aggregate (sand) was used in the motor.

Is there a good site about how to mix mortar to match old mixes? Or is
there a service where I can send a piece of the mortar and get a
formula for its mix. Because of its age am I actually seeing it aged
in color too and a pigment may be needed also? Is there mortar that is
only lime and no cement? Help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 1:25*pm, DJW wrote:
I have a 55-year-old cut squared block stone house. The stone is in
need of tuck-pointing in some areas.

First off is it called tuck-pointing when it is not brick but stone?
The other thing is how do I go about to try to mix matching mortar? It
looks like a lot of aggregate (sand) was used in the motor.

Is there a good site about how to mix mortar to match old mixes? Or is
there a service where I can send a piece of the mortar and get a
formula for its mix. Because of its age am I actually seeing it aged
in color too and a pigment may be needed also? Is there mortar that is
only lime and no cement? Help!

Talk to local masons , cement yards, a city paid architect-free, For
my Indiana Limestone it took White portland and tint, plus it should
not be harder than the stone itself. Its a real tough job to match
it , but ive done it 20 times. Research with your city, and go for it
done right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 2:25*pm, DJW wrote:
I have a 55-year-old cut squared block stone house. The stone is in
need of tuck-pointing in some areas.

First off is it called tuck-pointing when it is not brick but stone?
The other thing is how do I go about to try to mix matching mortar? It
looks like a lot of aggregate (sand) was used in the motor.

Is there a good site about how to mix mortar to match old mixes? Or is
there a service where I can send a piece of the mortar and get a
formula for its mix. Because of its age am I actually seeing it aged
in color too and a pigment may be needed also? Is there mortar that is
only lime and no cement? Help!

Make a soft mortar with 2 -3parts lime to 1 part portland and 8 parts
sand. portland comes in white or gray. If you can dissolve out a
sample of the existing mortar with acid you can get a better look at
the sand originally used.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DJW DJW is offline

On Apr 26, 7:38 pm, beecrofter wrote:
On Apr 26, 2:25 pm, DJW wrote:

I have a 55-year-old cut squared block stone house. The stone is in
need of tuck-pointing in some areas.

First off is it called tuck-pointing when it is not brick but stone?
The other thing is how do I go about to try to mix matching mortar? It
looks like a lot of aggregate (sand) was used in the motor.

Is there a good site about how to mix mortar to match old mixes? Or is
there a service where I can send a piece of the mortar and get a
formula for its mix. Because of its age am I actually seeing it aged
in color too and a pigment may be needed also? Is there mortar that is
only lime and no cement? Help!

Make a soft mortar with 2 -3parts lime to 1 part portland and 8 parts
sand. portland comes in white or gray. If you can dissolve out a
sample of the existing mortar with acid you can get a better look at
the sand originally used.

What would I be using to try to devolve the sand out?

Match the old paint tom Home Repair 8 September 12th 07 03:28 AM
What is Match Board TheScullster UK diy 10 May 18th 07 02:51 PM
just match ur profile Vicky Home Repair 0 November 25th 06 02:13 PM
How to match this moulding? [email protected] Home Repair 15 July 27th 06 03:38 AM
Mortar doesn't match... what to do? PWizard Home Ownership 3 February 5th 05 12:44 AM