DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replace toilet base (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/247533-replace-toilet-base.html)

[email protected] April 26th 08 03:55 PM

Replace toilet base

I am replacing toilet in 35 year old bathroom.
When I took the toilet off I removed the wax ring. The wax ring sat
on a black base part that sits on the floor and goes into the
drainage. It broke and I need a new one. It seems to have two parts
with the upper part that sits on the floor and the lower part that is
like a short tub going into the drainage area. Is this a univeral
part and do I need to put any special silicone on the new one when I
put it in?

Speedy Jim[_2_] April 26th 08 04:21 PM

Replace toilet base

wrote:
I am replacing toilet in 35 year old bathroom.
When I took the toilet off I removed the wax ring. The wax ring sat
on a black base part that sits on the floor and goes into the
drainage. It broke and I need a new one. It seems to have two parts
with the upper part that sits on the floor and the lower part that is
like a short tub going into the drainage area. Is this a univeral
part and do I need to put any special silicone on the new one when I
put it in?

The part in the floor is the "closet flange".
Black means ABS plastic (likely).

You will need more info.

You *may* be able to use an expansion flange like:
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/O.../84441/Cat/156

or: http://tinyurl.com/3ze4nz

Or one of these:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html
Maybe just "repair" the broken flange edge with replacement ring.

The again, you could be in over your head. You decide...

Jim

[email protected] April 26th 08 04:39 PM

Replace toilet base

Thanks,

For the closet flange it looks similiar to what I have with the tube
part that goes into the drainage at 4 inches wide and the whole part
is 3.5 inches height.
Do I need any silicone when I put it in? And if I need the tube part
that connects to drainage what kind of silicone do I use?

Speedy Jim[_2_] April 26th 08 08:26 PM

Replace toilet base

wrote:

Thanks,

For the closet flange it looks similiar to what I have with the tube
part that goes into the drainage at 4 inches wide and the whole part
is 3.5 inches height.
Do I need any silicone when I put it in? And if I need the tube part
that connects to drainage what kind of silicone do I use?

The first one with the rubber seal at the bottom doesn't need any
sealant.

The plastic fittings are normally "solvent welded" using a special
glue. For the black plastic, it is ABS cement. Silicone sealant (RTV)
*could* be used, but it's not a recognized method.

The flange should be anchored to the floor, if possible.

cm April 27th 08 03:04 PM

Replace toilet base

Yes you could use RTV sealant like Speedy Jim said and then go back later
after the RTV sealant fails and do the whole job over again.

cm

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. ..

Mark H April 27th 08 07:00 PM

Replace toilet base

wrote in message
I am replacing toilet in 35 year old bathroom.
When I took the toilet off I removed the wax ring. The wax ring sat
on a black base part that sits on the floor and goes into the
drainage. It broke and I need a new one. It seems to have two parts
with the upper part that sits on the floor and the lower part that is
like a short tub going into the drainage area. Is this a univeral
part and do I need to put any special silicone on the new one when I
put it in?

35 years old I would say its cast iron

[email protected] April 27th 08 08:44 PM

Replace toilet base

On Apr 26, 10:55�am, " wrote:
I am replacing toilet in 35 year old bathroom.
When I took the toilet off �I removed the wax ring. �The wax ring sat
on a black base part that sits on the floor and goes into the
drainage. �It broke and I need a new one. �It seems to have two parts
with the upper part that sits on the floor and the lower part that is
like a short tub going into the drainage area. � Is this a univeral
part and do I need to put any special silicone on the new one when I
put it in?

sounds like the flange is broke, i have had that happen..........

cast iron normally has leaded in connection not DIY friendly.........

it cant be gooed together and ust be replaced