DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   plastic shelf/top-of-bottom-drawer cracked: how to fix? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/247459-plastic-shelf-top-bottom-drawer-cracked-how-fix.html)

David Combs April 26th 08 03:58 AM

plastic shelf/top-of-bottom-drawer cracked: how to fix?

Someone a few years (10) ago gave us an old refrig that
we use as 2nd refrig.

That bottom drawer -- slides out -- stationary shelf that
it slides in and out under is clear plastic (other shelves
are made of matrix of metal rods) are of course strong,
not likely to ever break or even bend.

But this bottom (cheap) plastic shelf is cracked and
bending down in the middle.

What can I do to fix it before it completely fails?

What, try to find another piece of hard plastic to
bond to it? Where would I find that?

Of course I could google for replacement, but
it's so old, etc, not really worth too much.

Nice cheap fix would be really great!

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

Edwin Pawlowski April 26th 08 04:55 AM

"David Combs" wrote in message
Someone a few years (10) ago gave us an old refrig that
we use as 2nd refrig.

That bottom drawer -- slides out -- stationary shelf that
it slides in and out under is clear plastic (other shelves
are made of matrix of metal rods) are of course strong,
not likely to ever break or even bend.

But this bottom (cheap) plastic shelf is cracked and
bending down in the middle.

What can I do to fix it before it completely fails?

What, try to find another piece of hard plastic to
bond to it? Where would I find that?

Ten years ago you were given a use refrigerator so now it is 15 to 20 years
old and yet you call the broken part "cheap plastic"

Try supporting the middle if you can. You can try epoxy, but not much of
anything sticks to the plastics generally used inside of appliances. You
may have better luck with a mechanical fastener.

Robert Neville April 26th 08 05:45 AM

(David Combs) wrote:

What, try to find another piece of hard plastic to
bond to it? Where would I find that?

Go to one of the big box stores and buy a sheet of plexigas cut to the rough
size. Trace the current shelf and cut to match. Toss the broken shelf. If the
shelf also has guides for the drawers, you may need make those as well.

Frank April 26th 08 01:17 PM

David Combs wrote:
Someone a few years (10) ago gave us an old refrig that
we use as 2nd refrig.

That bottom drawer -- slides out -- stationary shelf that
it slides in and out under is clear plastic (other shelves
are made of matrix of metal rods) are of course strong,
not likely to ever break or even bend.

But this bottom (cheap) plastic shelf is cracked and
bending down in the middle.

What can I do to fix it before it completely fails?

What, try to find another piece of hard plastic to
bond to it? Where would I find that?

Of course I could google for replacement, but
it's so old, etc, not really worth too much.

Nice cheap fix would be really great!

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

I patch things occasionally with a piece of glass fabric impregnated
with epoxy. Mesh tape used for drywall cracks could work. Plain glue
would be no good as you need to beef up the old plastic's structure.
Won't be pretty but will be functional.

aemeijers April 26th 08 02:10 PM

Frank wrote:
David Combs wrote:
[...]

Nobody else said it, so I will- if this is a garage or basement fridge
that doesn't need to be pretty, just cut a wide 1x board or two to
replace the shelf. Rub in food-grade mineral oil (like on a
butcher-block counter) to give it some moisture resistance. You can
probably figure some way to reattach the drawer slides, or McGyver
something out of the junk box that will do the same thing.

If the thought of wood in the fridge horrifies you, just buy a
suitably-sized plastic cutting board to gusset the shelf with, and
fasten it to the existing shelf with stainless steel pop rivets and
washers. The others are right- trying to glue greasy old plastic like
that falls into the 'life is too short' category.

--
aem sends...

clot April 26th 08 11:45 PM

aemeijers wrote:
Frank wrote:
David Combs wrote:
[...]

I'm with you on this. I am surprised that there's a need for the question. A
bit of marine plywood shaped to fit seems to be the way to go.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] April 27th 08 12:24 AM

plastic shelf/top-of-bottom-drawer cracked: how to fix?

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 03:45:36p, Clot told us...

Someone a few years (10) ago gave us an old refrig that
we use as 2nd refrig.
That bottom drawer -- slides out -- stationary shelf that
it slides in and out under is clear plastic (other shelves
are made of matrix of metal rods) are of course strong, not likely
to ever break or even bend.

But this bottom (cheap) plastic shelf is cracked and
bending down in the middle.

What can I do to fix it before it completely fails?

What, try to find another piece of hard plastic to
bond to it? Where would I find that?

Of course I could google for replacement, but
it's so old, etc, not really worth too much.

If it were mine, I'd have a piece of tempered glass cut to fit. It's
really not that expensive, and minimal effort on your part. I just
wouldn't bother with trying to fix a piece of old plastic.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

beecrofter[_2_] April 27th 08 01:56 AM

plastic shelf/top-of-bottom-drawer cracked: how to fix?

On Apr 26, 7:24*pm, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
[...]

Interesting trick, how do they cut tempered glass?

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] April 27th 08 03:27 AM

plastic shelf/top-of-bottom-drawer cracked: how to fix?

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 05:56:01p, beecrofter told us...

wrote:
[...]

I don't really know, but it's done everyday, and I've had pieces cut. The
last "project" was to replace some awful flimsy plastic shelves in two
medicine cabinets. I needed the tempered for strength.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 1dys 5hrs 35mins
Some People, like Flowers, Give
Pleasure Just by Being.

Red Green April 27th 08 04:50 AM

plastic shelf/top-of-bottom-drawer cracked: how to fix?

aemeijers wrote in news:8RFQj.130186$D_3.7093
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Frank wrote:
David Combs wrote:
[...]

Now that's classy - woodgrane frig shelves.

Smitty Two April 27th 08 07:29 AM

plastic shelf/top-of-bottom-drawer cracked: how to fix?

wrote:
[...]

No, it's cut first, then tempered.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] April 27th 08 07:34 AM

plastic shelf/top-of-bottom-drawer cracked: how to fix?

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 11:29:21p, Smitty Two told us...

wrote:
[...]

Well, whatever, it works.

--
Wayne Boatwright