Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Humidity in crawl space

I don't have a basement and have little storage space in my small,
one-story home in upstate New York.

I've been storing a lot of things in the crawl space under the house
but the humidity down there has been taking its toll. The crawl space
"floor" is just dirt (covered by plastic sheeting) -- there is no
floor as such. The crawl space is mostly below ground level, but there
are two small windows near the ceiling of the space.

I want to buy a dehumidifier, but would face the problem of having to
carry buckets of water (while doubled over) through the crawl space
and up several steps to ground level.

I guess I need some sort of device to pump the water out of one of
the windows, but need advice about what to get to do the job.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 3:41*pm, wrote:
I don't have a basement and have little storage space in my small,
one-story home in upstate New York.

I've been storing a lot of things in the crawl space under the house
but the humidity down there has been taking its toll. The crawl space
"floor" is just dirt (covered by plastic sheeting) -- there is no
floor as such. The crawl space is mostly below ground level, but there
are two small windows near the ceiling of the space.

I want to buy a dehumidifier, but would face the problem of having to
carry buckets of water (while doubled over) through the crawl space
and up several steps to ground level.

I guess I need some sort of *device to pump the water out of one of
the windows, but need advice about what to get to do the job.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Be sure it has a drain built in hook a hose to it, and I bet the temp
down there is often below 68f be sure to get a Low Temp unit, most
freeze at about 68f
Posted to alt.home.repair

A "Condensate Pump"http://www.filterace.com/detail.aspx?ID=1119

(probably at BigBox too)

The dehumid "bucket" likely has a knockout or cap
to permit attaching a garden hose for draining.

If you order a pump with a "safety switch",
it can sound an alarm if the pump fails or,
with a relay, shut off the dehumid.

Jim

Whirlpool has a more expensive ($81.70 at ABT.com) pump kit that
includes 25 feet of plastic tubing and which Whirlpool claims can pump
"up to 18 vertical feet." I don't see any tubing or hose in the
picture or description of the pump that you linked to -- do you know
if it has such tubing and if it can pump high enough to get the water
through a window that's almost five feet off the floor?

Many thanks.

Nolan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 6:09 pm, ransley wrote:

Be sure it has a drain built in hook a hose to it, and I bet the temp
down there is often below 68f be sure to get a Low Temp unit, most
freeze at about 68f

The Whirlpool dehumidifiers that I'm looking at supposedly don't
freeze when it's 38 degrees or warmer.