Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clothes Dryer - lube rollers?

Hi,

While I'm cleaning the lint inside the dryer and have access to the moving
parts, I'm wondering if I should lube the shaft on which the support rollers
ride. The only con I see, is that grease would attract lint.

What do the pros do?

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:57:58 -0400, RichK wrote:
Hi,

While I'm cleaning the lint inside the dryer and have access to the moving
parts, I'm wondering if I should lube the shaft on which the support rollers
ride. The only con I see, is that grease would attract lint.

What do the pros do?

Pull the cover and do proper maintenance, if any is required.

If you really want to try and do some maintenance, I suggest you do a
websearch for your dryer make and model and get instructions. At the very
least, you must remove the covers. There is nothing intelligent that you
can do until you have access.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:57:58 -0400, RichK wrote:
Hi,

While I'm cleaning the lint inside the dryer and have access to the moving
parts, I'm wondering if I should lube the shaft on which the support rollers
ride. The only con I see, is that grease would attract lint.

What do the pros do?

Pull the cover and do proper maintenance, if any is required.

If you really want to try and do some maintenance, I suggest you do a
websearch for your dryer make and model and get instructions. At the very
least, you must remove the covers. There is nothing intelligent that you
can do until you have access.

Since he's discussing the roller shafts, it would seem that he's gotten
it apart...

I remember reading that these shouldn't be lubricated. I replaced mine
about eight years ago and it got rid of about 3/4 of the noise the dryer
makes when operating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Barr wrote:

I remember reading that these shouldn't be lubricated. I replaced mine
about eight years ago and it got rid of about 3/4 of the noise the dryer
makes when operating.

Yep. Lube won't last anyway and will lead to fires. As long as you have the
dryer open, go pick up a roller kit, replace the rollers and the felt strip and
be done with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

I remember reading that these shouldn't be lubricated. I replaced mine
about eight years ago and it got rid of about 3/4 of the noise the dryer
makes when operating.

Yep. Lube won't last anyway and will lead to fires. As long as you have

the
dryer open, go pick up a roller kit, replace the rollers and the felt

strip and
be done with it.

OK, thanks. Yes I did have it apart, to replace the igniter. Cleaned all
the lint, including inside the fan housing. Dryer was not making excessive
noise, so I was not thinking of replacing the rollers, but thought grease
may be the thing to do. Wasn't certain, that's why I asked here.

Regards,

RichK