Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The great ant invasion of 2008

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

Same here in St. Charles Mo, 30 miles west of St. Louis. All the rain we
have had I hink drove them in the house. The neighbors have the same
problem.

-----
John
www.cjsealing.com/help.htm
DIY Driveway repair and sealing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

Maybe 30 years ago, Time magazine had a cover story titled, IIRC, "The
insects are coming." Said that eventually, they'd take over the planet.
They can mutate very quickly, within a couple of generations, so they
adapt to changes in the environment that eventually kill off ostensibly
"higher" forms of life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

Try dry grits on the mounds in dry weather. Kills the ants and wont harm
anything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:42:42 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

wrote

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

Try dry grits on the mounds in dry weather. Kills the ants and wont harm
anything else.

Ants carry the dry grits into the mound. Moisture causes the grits too
swell. It kills them.

Waste of a good grit!

*What's a grit?* (G)

Posted to alt.home.repair

OMG!
I found a chocolate chip cookie in the utility closet. Covered with
about a trillion ants.

Life with a 2-year-old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 6:24 pm, wrote:
OMG!
I found a chocolate chip cookie in the utility closet. Covered with
about a trillion ants.

Life with a 2-year-old.

If you are using Terro that you bought last year, it won't work. I
have found that I have to buy a fresh supply every year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

I had a springtime invasion long ago - three kids who made their own
snacks, imperfect housekeeping.
I got a bottle of Terro - first time I had tried it. The ants were
really awful - like the army ants in a movie
I saw once - marching across my kitchen toward the sandwich-making
counter. When I put down some
Terro, near where they were coming in, it was like the general blew a
whistle and sounded retreat. It was
only a few minutes before they all started moving the other way. Pretty
amazing. Interesting critters )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:15:05 -0400, wrote:

Exactly! They love the stuff. They carry some back to the nest and share it,
which is how it wipes out the whole colony.

They're starting to taper off, finally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

You can probably get a few Horned Toads mail order.

Called the "Texas Ant-Eater," they live out of the way and gobble ants like
mad.

Scary looking critters, though. (About the size of a frog)

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...cies/thlizard/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:21:22 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

You can probably get a few Horned Toads mail order.

The how will we handle the Horned Toad explosion? :-)

I watched a documentary about the Kane Toad crisis in Australia. Scary
stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:50:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Years ago, I had good results with liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com
but this year, there are much smaller ants. And less interested in the blue
liquid. Not sure what to do.

Are they sweet-eating?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Years ago, I had good results with liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com
but this year, there are much smaller ants. And less interested in the blue
liquid. Not sure what to do.

I haven't seen Terro brand in quite a while, but have gotten the same
sort of product at HD, very small
bottle. Is is basic sugar and boric acid. For grease-eating ants, my
bottles suggests adding a drop of
cooking oil to the drop of bait. A drop of bait on a nice buttery
cookie crumb works fine. Tastes vary - I
think the adults avoid sugar but the kids go for it ) Really.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can probably get a few Horned Toads mail order.

The how will we handle the Horned Toad explosion? :-)

I watched a documentary about the Kane Toad crisis in Australia. Scary
stuff.

Might be a blessing in disguise, what with food shortages coming.
Perhaps sauteed with mushrooms? )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

Maybe 30 years ago, Time magazine had a cover story titled, IIRC, "The
insects are coming." Said that eventually, they'd take over the
planet. They can mutate very quickly, within a couple of generations,
so they adapt to changes in the environment that eventually kill off
ostensibly "higher" forms of life.

That's maybe related to that old story that after a nuclear war the only
forms of life left would be cockroaches and Keith Richards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

Maybe 30 years ago, Time magazine had a cover story titled, IIRC, "The
insects are coming." Said that eventually, they'd take over the
planet. They can mutate very quickly, within a couple of generations,
so they adapt to changes in the environment that eventually kill off
ostensibly "higher" forms of life.

That's maybe related to that old story that after a nuclear war the only
forms of life left would be cockroaches and Keith Richards.

What's the difference? Keith is my age but looks like he has about 100
more years of wear and tear.
Mick qualifies for Medicare this year )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:58:32 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

DGDevin wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen them
totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

Maybe 30 years ago, Time magazine had a cover story titled, IIRC, "The
insects are coming." Said that eventually, they'd take over the
planet. They can mutate very quickly, within a couple of generations,
so they adapt to changes in the environment that eventually kill off
ostensibly "higher" forms of life.

That's maybe related to that old story that after a nuclear war the only
forms of life left would be cockroaches and Keith Richards.

What's the difference? Keith is my age but looks like he has about 100
more years of wear and tear.
Mick qualifies for Medicare this year )

And Keith snorted his father's ashes, or so the story goes!

Mick will long be forgotten with big lips. Keith, he's another issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

I watched a documentary about the Kane Toad crisis in Australia.
Scary stuff.

Might be a blessing in disguise, what with food shortages coming.
Perhaps sauteed with mushrooms? )

Cane Toads excrete a posion. For all I know, they are entirely posion in a
toad sack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:07:33 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Norminn wrote:

I watched a documentary about the Kane Toad crisis in Australia.
Scary stuff.

Might be a blessing in disguise, what with food shortages coming.
Perhaps sauteed with mushrooms? )

Cane Toads excrete a posion. For all I know, they are entirely posion in a
toad sack.

Buffo toads in Miami; excrete and kill dogs that pick 'em up. They
were introduced by ships in the river.

Watch out for walking cat fish; Ft Lauderdale, circa '76. BTDT!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Norminn wrote:

I watched a documentary about the Kane Toad crisis in Australia.
Scary stuff.

Might be a blessing in disguise, what with food shortages coming.
Perhaps sauteed with mushrooms? )

Cane Toads excrete a posion. For all I know, they are entirely posion
in a toad sack.

That's OK. I don't eat toad ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in
m:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I get ants every spring, no big deal. But WOW! I've never seen
them totally devour every speck of Terro and still keep coming!

Maybe 30 years ago, Time magazine had a cover story titled, IIRC,
"The insects are coming." Said that eventually, they'd take over the
planet. They can mutate very quickly, within a couple of generations,
so they adapt to changes in the environment that eventually kill off
ostensibly "higher" forms of life.

That's maybe related to that old story that after a nuclear war the
only forms of life left would be cockroaches and Keith Richards.

He's still alive huh? Last time I saw him it was hard to tell.There was
movement but, you know, that could have been like one of those stupid
4ft Santa's that dance at the entrance of WalMart at Christmas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:19:55 -0400, wrote:

They got so specific they
would only eat Purina the dog had in his mouth (tasted the saliva I
guess) Then I baited that. Now I see an ant now and then but they
aren't eating anything.

Ants do the damndest things. The dog is in charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:11:26 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Wasn't that cockroaches and Teddy Kennedy?

--
Christopher A. Young

Christ, is there a reasonable reason too top post?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Wasn't that cockroaches and Teddy Kennedy?

--
Christopher A. Young

Christ, is there a reasonable reason too top post?

Only one reason.

Blatant disregard for others.