Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much damage can a House sill plate take?

Due to Termite and (believe it or not) Raccoon damage, my house sill
plate might need changing. The sill plate has certain sections that
have been eaten away at… none of these locations is under a rafter
location.

So, the question is, if my sill plate does NOT have rot and is NOT
disintegrating due to termites, is it possible to patch the sill
plate? Or should I undertake the expensive task of replacing it?

Thanks,
Raj
Posted to alt.home.repair

"So, the question is, if my sill plate does NOT have rot and is NOT
disintegrating due to termites, is it possible to patch the sill
plate? Or should I undertake the expensive task of replacing it?

The primary purpose of the sill place is the spread the load of the joist.

If "significant" wood has been eaten away your sill plate isn't really
spreading the load but only acting as a cushion between the joist and the
concrete.

Frankly, the odds are good that the termites have gotten into the joists
either through the sill plates or via the "end plates."

Do the "philips screwdriver" test and do some hard probing of the sill and
the joists. You may well find that what looks like sound wood is actually
hollow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks John, for your help... a few questions below:

On Apr 23, 10:01*am, "John Gilmer" wrote:
If "significant" wood has been eaten away your sill plate isn't really
spreading the load but only acting as a cushion between the joist and the
concrete.

Would you happen to have a magic number on the percentage of wood
damaged? 10%, 20%?

Frankly, the odds are good that the termites have gotten into the joists
either through the sill plates or via the "end plates."

What do you classify as an "end plate"?

Do the "philips screwdriver" test and do some hard probing of the sill and
the joists. * *You may well find that what looks like sound wood is actually
hollow.

I did the screwdriver test... existing wood is good... as you said,
I'll need to figure out the load, and if "patching" can help with the
load.

Thanks again,
Raj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 2:07 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

Do yourself a favor - spend a few bucks for a structural engineer to come
look at it.

Balderdash!

Post some decent pics, I'll fix it from here.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

gpsman wrote in
:

On Apr 23, 2:07 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

Do yourself a favor - spend a few bucks for a structural engineer to
come look at it.

Balderdash!

Post some decent pics, I'll fix it from here.
-----

- gpsman

You're good.

People have no idea what you can do with duct tape, tie wraps and baking
soda.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nah, sill plates don't spread any load. They're just a nailing
surface for the joists and wall studs. They're already flat against
the foundation, so they can't transfer any weight. If they sat up off
of the foundation, then yes, they'd be spreading load. Just bolt them
to the foundation and tie them into the neighboring sill plates.

Here's a garage sill plate DIY:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...age/rotted.htm