Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Better Junction Boxes

Hi,

I have discovered a junction box where a wire splits into 4. What a
MESS! It's got these huge nuts to hold the wires together and
everything is twisted and barely fits. And, of course, one of the
connections is broken.

Why don't there (seem to) exist better junction boxes? I envision a
box that looks more like a small panel where you get to connect the
hot wires together by inserting them into connected individual slots
and tightening with a bolt like you do in most breaks - and same for
neutrals and ground. I think that something like that would be much
more secure and easier to work with!

If what I envision does exist, I would very much appreciate a link.

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/23/08 02:31 am Aaron Fude wrote:

I have discovered a junction box where a wire splits into 4. What a
MESS! It's got these huge nuts to hold the wires together and
everything is twisted and barely fits. And, of course, one of the
connections is broken.

Why don't there (seem to) exist better junction boxes? I envision a
box that looks more like a small panel where you get to connect the
hot wires together by inserting them into connected individual slots
and tightening with a bolt like you do in most breaks - and same for
neutrals and ground. I think that something like that would be much
more secure and easier to work with!

If what I envision does exist, I would very much appreciate a link.

This is the kind of thing I recall from UK a few decades ago:

http://www.hager.co.uk/images/produc...sImage10_5.png

Wire nuts always struck me as a Rube Goldberg solution.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, that sort of thing.

Sure it would be a little more expensive, but I think it's necessary.
It can't be that much more expensive. I buy nice residential outlets
for $1.25 and those can essentially be used as junctions. In fact,
that's what I will probably do. Instead of a junction box, I'll put an
electrical box there with three outlets. I will use the home run wire
to power each outlet and use the remaining connections on the outlets
for the effective connections. Is this a bad idea for some reason.

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
Yes, that sort of thing.

Sure it would be a little more expensive, but I think it's necessary.
It can't be that much more expensive. I buy nice residential outlets
for $1.25 and those can essentially be used as junctions. In fact,
that's what I will probably do. Instead of a junction box, I'll put an
electrical box there with three outlets. I will use the home run wire
to power each outlet and use the remaining connections on the outlets
for the effective connections. Is this a bad idea for some reason.

You could simply use a split nut for solid connections or put a terminal
strip in an existing box or a deeper box to make it less crowded. There
are a myriad of terminal choices--check at your local electrical
distributor or look at Grainger or Square D or other online electrical
distributors to see catalogs.

Three outlets in one location simply for the terminals seems excessive
imo, but there's nothing specifically wrong about it. Don't know what
one would use all of them for, though...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Yes, that sort of thing.

Sure it would be a little more expensive, but I think it's necessary.
It can't be that much more expensive. I buy nice residential outlets
for $1.25 and those can essentially be used as junctions. In fact,
that's what I will probably do. Instead of a junction box, I'll put an
electrical box there with three outlets. I will use the home run wire
to power each outlet and use the remaining connections on the outlets
for the effective connections. Is this a bad idea for some reason.

It is permissible to do it that way as long as there is no multiwire circuit
involved. In that case the neutral would have to be spliced. Use good
quality receptacles as your loads from whatever is coming off of that
junction box will be passing through the outlets instead of the splices.