Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken sprinkler valve

I don't know much about sprinkler systems, but I know mine is broken.
I just turned it on and the main valve is leaking. There is a bell-
like thing on top and the water us gushing out from underneath that
bell. Is that something that can be repaired or do I just need to find
someone to replace the valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 22, 8:29*pm, "
wrote:
I don't know much about sprinkler systems, but I know mine is broken.
I just turned it on and the main valve is leaking. There is a bell-
like thing on top and the water us gushing out from underneath that
bell. Is that something that can be repaired or do I just need to find
someone to replace the valve?

Lacking the experience, call a professional. But for your own
enlightenment. ask if they mind if you observe the repair process
unobtrusively.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 9:29 pm, "
wrote:
I don't know much about sprinkler systems, but I know mine is broken.
I just turned it on and the main valve is leaking. There is a bell-
like thing on top and the water us gushing out from underneath that
bell. Is that something that can be repaired or do I just need to find
someone to replace the valve?

Not sure from the description, but maybe that's your pressure vacuum
breaker acting up. If so, here's a site that walks you through the
Spring start up:
http://www.pioneermidwest.com/irr/insman/startup.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have a broken Vacuum Relief valve. Some of the brass ones are
rebuildable, some are not. The plastic ones are most often not. If you
left it out in the winter and it froze, that's what caused the
problem. You're supposed to remove them and bring them inside.

You can buy a new one online at any sprinkler supplier. If you have
basic plumbing skills, you can install it yourself.