DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   is it ok to use alot of wirenuts in a subpanel. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/246470-ok-use-alot-wirenuts-subpanel.html)

gore[_2_] April 21st 08 09:27 PM

is it ok to use alot of wirenuts in a subpanel.

I need to replace a subpanel and the old one is smaller than the new one.
The old one is already maxed out with minis and has more than one circuit
fed from one half of the mini (more than one wire under each screw). there
is no more room in the closet for another subpanel. I purchased a bigger
panel with more slots, but most of the wires are too short now to reach the
new breaker slots. Can I just lengthen the wires using wirenuts to make them
reach the new breakers legally? This is the only way I can think to do it
without having a bunch of junction boxes up in the attic to feed the new
panel.

Thanks

John Grabowski April 21st 08 09:59 PM

"gore" wrote in message
I need to replace a subpanel and the old one is smaller than the new one.
The old one is already maxed out with minis and has more than one circuit
fed from one half of the mini (more than one wire under each screw). there
is no more room in the closet for another subpanel. I purchased a bigger
panel with more slots, but most of the wires are too short now to reach the
new breaker slots. Can I just lengthen the wires using wirenuts to make
them reach the new breakers legally? This is the only way I can think to do
it without having a bunch of junction boxes up in the attic to feed the new
panel.

Yes. Most likely the new subpanel has ample room compared to the old one.

Doug Miller April 21st 08 11:02 PM

In article , "gore" wrote:
I need to replace a subpanel and the old one is smaller than the new one.
The old one is already maxed out with minis and has more than one circuit
fed from one half of the mini (more than one wire under each screw). there
is no more room in the closet for another subpanel. I purchased a bigger
panel with more slots, but most of the wires are too short now to reach the
new breaker slots. Can I just lengthen the wires using wirenuts to make them
reach the new breakers legally? This is the only way I can think to do it
without having a bunch of junction boxes up in the attic to feed the new
panel.

As long as there's enough space in the panel to make the splices neatly, it's
Code-compliant.

--
Regards,

Join the UseNet Improvement Project: killfile Google Groups.
http://www.improve-usenet.org

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

BillGill April 22nd 08 02:06 PM

gore wrote:
I need to replace a subpanel and the old one is smaller than the new one.
The old one is already maxed out with minis and has more than one circuit
fed from one half of the mini (more than one wire under each screw). there
is no more room in the closet for another subpanel. I purchased a bigger
panel with more slots, but most of the wires are too short now to reach the
new breaker slots. Can I just lengthen the wires using wirenuts to make them
reach the new breakers legally? This is the only way I can think to do it
without having a bunch of junction boxes up in the attic to feed the new
panel.

Thanks

Just as an aside, in many, if not most, jurisdictions when you replace a
panel in a closet you are required to move the panel out of the closet,
because it does not meet code. The NEC requires a clear space in front
of the panel.

Bill

Pete C. April 22nd 08 03:53 PM

BillGill wrote:

gore wrote:
[...]

That would depend on the exact layout with the closet, as a door in
front of the panel is not counted as an obstruction. If you can open the
closet door and look straight at the panel, it's probably fine.

Pete C. April 22nd 08 06:27 PM

is it ok to use alot of wirenuts in a subpanel.

wrote:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:53:54 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Just as an aside, in many, if not most, jurisdictions when you replace a
panel in a closet you are required to move the panel out of the closet,
because it does not meet code. The NEC requires a clear space in front
of the panel.

Bill

That would depend on the exact layout with the closet, as a door in
front of the panel is not counted as an obstruction. If you can open the
closet door and look straight at the panel, it's probably fine.

It is still a NEC violation to have a panel in a clothes closet.

Cite?

The closest I can find is Article 230.70(2) which prohibits the service
disconnecting means from being installed in a bathroom. An AHJ might
interpret a clothes closet as not meeting the requirements of 230.70(1),
but that is local interpretation, not a NEC violation.

Speedy Jim[_2_] April 22nd 08 06:45 PM

wrote:

Just as an aside, in many, if not most, jurisdictions when you replace a
panel in a closet you are required to move the panel out of the closet,
because it does not meet code. The NEC requires a clear space in front
of the panel.

Bill

That would depend on the exact layout with the closet, as a door in
front of the panel is not counted as an obstruction. If you can open the
closet door and look straight at the panel, it's probably fine.

It is still a NEC violation to have a panel in a clothes closet.

Cite?

The closest I can find is Article 230.70(2) which prohibits the service
disconnecting means from being installed in a bathroom. An AHJ might
interpret a clothes closet as not meeting the requirements of 230.70(1),
but that is local interpretation, not a NEC violation.

240.24 (D)

See the long discussion he
http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/for...?TOPIC_ID=6773

Jim

Pete C. April 22nd 08 07:41 PM

Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Interesting, though the implication that clothing is easily ignitable
isn't really true. Most clothing seems to be self extinguishing as I've
found many times with welding slag, embers from charcoal, etc. Lots of
little burn holes, but I've never gone up in flames or had to extinguish
anything.