Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestion on New Washer

Hello,

I thought I would post this here as most people would know what
washers have the most problems. I'm looking to replace our horrible
Maytag Atlantis Washer MAV7504EWW since it has torn through the
majority of our clothes and leaves a lot of lint on them coming out of
the wash. This washing machine was prior to the acquisition from
Whirlpool

I was looking at the Whirlpool WTW5500 which seems that it may do
the job, but after talking with a rep I'm not sure if this is the
model that I want. I'm looking for a washer where the hot cycle will
take exactly that hot water and not mix it with cold. The only model
that Whirlpool has is the front loaders which have the sanitary cycle.
I want to avoid front loaders as I have read problematic issues with
them and want to avoid as may problems down the road as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to purchase or should I
stick with this model? The other option is to turn the cold water off
for the first cycle but that means I have to be around after the first
cycle is finished to turn the cold water on for the second cycle.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 21, 9:49*am, wrote:
[...]

Your first line of defense against crappy products is Consumer
Reports. Have you checked it out yet?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Robert Neville wrote:
Unfortunately, the hard data collected by Consumer Reports ...

supports my statement. Note the 20th best front loader listed had a total score
of 69, whereas the best top loader was 75. ...

I notice mostly that all the top loaders that score much over the front
loaders are roughly twice the price and that those in roughly equivalent
price range are no better and generally worse in the cleaning rankings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

I notice mostly that all the top loaders that score much over the front
loaders are roughly twice the price and that those in roughly equivalent
price range are no better and generally worse in the cleaning rankings.

There's some basic physics going on here. Top loaders can't tumble clothing very
well and the limited amount of water they can use is leading a lot of
manufacturers to delete the agitator which makes things worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/21/2008 12:29 PM said the following:
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:14:28 -0600, Robert Neville

I have a Fisher & Paykel top loader that equals or exceeds the
performance of front loaders, costs half as much and does not require
special expensive detergent to work properly.

Glad you like your FP.

Unfortunately, the hard data collected by Consumer Reports and shown at

http://www.greenerchoices.org/ratings.cfm?product=washer&orderbyw=OverallScore_D ESC&ordersetw=ASC,ASC,DESC,DESC,ASC,DESC#Cat2

supports my statement. Note the 20th best front loader listed had a total score
of 69, whereas the best top loader was 75. The only FP top load model listed had
a score of 63.

You better go look again. The FP is listed as 74 points and $900,
compared to the top rated frontloaders at 81 points and up to $1900.

The top rated front loader at $1500 and 81 points is an LG 'steam'
washer. The next best front loader is a regular LG without steam at 81
points and is $900. It also has better energy efficiency than the FP top
loader.
That's only if you even trust Consumer reports, who once picked the
stock factory am/fm cassette stereo in an AMC matador as the best car
stereo. Better than Alpine, Kenwood... better than everybody! They
also top rated a VCR, and bottom rated another one. Only problem was
that they were mechanically IDENTICAL and came off of the same
assembly line with two different brand names and slight cosmetic
differences. he factory service manual for both machines was the same
manual, as was the parts list. They liked some features on one and
criticized the same features on the other.

Glad you like whatever you got suckered into buying.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 9:49*am, wrote:
[...]

Nothing is made like it used to be, a commercial unit will get you
some hopefully real quality
Posted to alt.home.repair
stu stu is offline

wrote in message
[...]

If you are after a washer that is gentle on clothes and you want to do hot
water washes, I think you should have another look at front loaders. With a
front loader you will save about 80litres of hot water every load.(anyone
want to do the maths on heating 10C water to 70C in kWhrs?). The machine I
have uses so little water it heats its own, with a temp range from cold to
90C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:42:34 +1000, "stu" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Which make/model do you have? I have heard nothing but problems with
front loaders. The issues I have seen had to do with water staying at
the bottom after a wash cycle, musty odors, and circuit board errors.
I am not worried at spending money to heat the water, we have our
water heater set to a high hot water temp for our showers anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
stu stu is offline

wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:42:34 +1000, "stu" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Its an Asko6021. The top of the line Asko does have hot water in. The way
the machine fills(a little fill then stop, repeat)and the distance to my hot
water tank would make this almost a waste of time I think. I havent ever
used it over 40C so I dont know what its like above that. Had no problems
with musty odors, maybe its the way the door seals on the Asko? Have you
worked out what it costs to heat 80 litres of water?(My maths says it takes
60kWhr)

Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

On Apr 23, 9:57*pm, "stu" wrote:
wrote in message

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:42:34 +1000, "stu" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

60kWhr)- Hide quoted text -

Just out of curiousity, why do you need a straight hot water wash?
Seems awfully hard on your clothes, not to mention your energy bill. I
wash ours in just cold with soap designed for cold water, even gets my
two year old's muddy clothes clean.

I've read about the odour problems with front loaders. If you're
willing to invest the money in one, they're supposed to be better for
water efficiency, easier on your clothes since they have no agitator,
and get your clothes cleaner. But when you're not using it, leave it
open. It is obviously water-tight when it's closed, odour-tight too.
Let it air out is what I've read.

KD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stu" wrote in message news:480eda54$0$30466
If you are after a washer that is gentle on clothes and you want to do hot
water washes, I think you should have another look at front loaders. With a
front loader you will save about 80litres of hot water every load.(anyone
want to do the maths on heating 10C water to 70C in kWhrs?). The machine I
have uses so little water it heats its own, with a temp range from cold to
90C.

Which means it uses expensive electrically heated water, rather than the cheaper
gas heated water from the water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair
stu stu is offline

"Bob F" wrote in message

"stu" wrote in message news:480eda54$0$30466
If you are after a washer that is gentle on clothes and you want to do

hot
water washes, I think you should have another look at front loaders.

With a
front loader you will save about 80litres of hot water every

load.(anyone
want to do the maths on heating 10C water to 70C in kWhrs?). The machine

have uses so little water it heats its own, with a temp range from cold

90C.

Which means it uses expensive electrically heated water, rather than the

cheaper
gas heated water from the water heater.

Some people have electric hot water to. The cost depends on the rates where
you live. Thats why didnt meantion a $ amount. Do the maths for where you
live. My maths says that you will need about 73kWhrs to heat the water for a
top loader and about 13 kWhrs to heat the water for a front loader. With the
price of water there you also save about $0.30 a load in water. You may save
more you may save less.

Its also solves the problem of the OP wanting a machine that will do a very
hot wash without having to be there to open and close taps. I am not aware
of a top loader that does this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stu" wrote in message
u...

Some people have electric hot water to. The cost depends on the rates where
you live. Thats why didnt meantion a $ amount. Do the maths for where you
live. My maths says that you will need about 73kWhrs to heat the water for a
top loader and about 13 kWhrs to heat the water for a front loader. With the
price of water there you also save about $0.30 a load in water. You may save
more you may save less.

Its also solves the problem of the OP wanting a machine that will do a very
hot wash without having to be there to open and close taps. I am not aware
of a top loader that does this.

My old top loader certainly does. Maybe new ones don't, but I've never met one.

varnish suggestion Arthur 51 UK diy 7 November 20th 07 10:01 PM
I have a suggestion raden UK diy 22 July 13th 05 11:59 PM
Software suggestion plz. TCS Home Repair 1 February 20th 05 12:05 AM
uk-d-i-y Suggestion Pinot Grigio UK diy 45 January 7th 05 09:49 AM
Router bit suggestion? Mark & Shauna Woodworking 4 August 31st 04 03:27 AM