Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Krylon protection question

Bob wrote:

After having just spend many hours cleaning and polishing a couple
midsized brass bells, I would like to protect the bright shiny
finish.

My thought is to use Krylon, but I sure don't want something that
will yellow, become blotchy, or unsightly in some way. Also, it may
be tough to remove if it doesn't work out.

Has anyone had experience using Krylon spray in a similar
application?
I will appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Bob-tx

I'm not a fan of spray-can finishes, as I have trouble getting away from
bubbles and spatter.
Yellowing should be of little concern, as it would not seem likely to
show on brass. We live
near salt water and have brass numbers on the house. Last time I
finished them, about 4 yrs.
ago, I used clear polyurethane. The secret is to clean them
immaculately with brass polish,
degrease with denatured alcohol, and apply clear finish right away
before any oxidation can
start. After cleaning, they should not be handled with bare hands, as
fingerprints show easily.
If old finish needs to be removed, paint remover makes quick work of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 6:11*am, "Bob" wrote:
After having just spend many hours cleaning and polishing a couple
midsized brass bells, I would like to protect the bright shiny
finish.

My thought is to use Krylon, but I sure don't want something that
will yellow, become blotchy, or unsightly in some way. *Also, it may
be tough to remove if it doesn't work out.

Has anyone had experience using Krylon spray in a similar
application?
I will appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Bob-tx

Krylon what, they have alot of products, poly yellows fast on brass.
Laquer works but laquer and item must be at 70f or above or it can go
white,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 21 Apr 2008 04:11:07a, Bob told us...

After having just spend many hours cleaning and polishing a couple
midsized brass bells, I would like to protect the bright shiny
finish.

My thought is to use Krylon, but I sure don't want something that
will yellow, become blotchy, or unsightly in some way. Also, it may
be tough to remove if it doesn't work out.

Has anyone had experience using Krylon spray in a similar
application?
I will appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Bob-tx

I can't speak for why Krylon will do, but this is what I would use. It's
specifically meant for coating brass.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3260

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 04(IV)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 21, 6:11*am, "Bob" wrote:
After having just spend many hours cleaning and polishing a couple
midsized brass bells, I would like to protect the bright shiny
finish.

My thought is to use Krylon, but I sure don't want something that
will yellow, become blotchy, or unsightly in some way. *Also, it may
be tough to remove if it doesn't work out.

Has anyone had experience using Krylon spray in a similar
application?
I will appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Bob-tx

FWIW, Krylon has been my finish of choice for decades on antique
lamps, brass trim, whatever, after polishing. Never yellows, goes on
just fine, looks great.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

After having just spend many hours cleaning and polishing a couple
midsized brass bells, I would like to protect the bright shiny
finish.

My thought is to use Krylon, but I sure don't want something that
will yellow, become blotchy, or unsightly in some way. Also, it may
be tough to remove if it doesn't work out.

Has anyone had experience using Krylon spray in a similar
application?
I will appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Bob-tx

Back in the day, we made brass weight sets for triple-beam balances.
Sprayed 'em with Varathane (polyurathane.)