Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone know about Coraloy?

I was advised to use something called Coraloy (or perhaps Coroloy, see
below) on a construction project. I trust the person who gave me this
advice, but was trying to find something on-line about this stuff, and
was really surprised that I couldn't locate this product through a
Google search.

Searching *does* yield a couple of pages that discuss this material, but
no manufacturer's web site, no commercial sites offering it. Searching
for "coroloy" only brings up some pages in German. Strange.

It's a sheet plastic material used for shower pans, among other things.

Anyone know anything about this stuff? Where to get it? I'm going to
talk to my local tile shop about it tomorrow.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I was advised to use something called Coraloy (or perhaps Coroloy, see
below) on a construction project. I trust the person who gave me this
advice, but was trying to find something on-line about this stuff, and
was really surprised that I couldn't locate this product through a
Google search.

Searching *does* yield a couple of pages that discuss this material, but
no manufacturer's web site, no commercial sites offering it. Searching
for "coroloy" only brings up some pages in German. Strange.

It's a sheet plastic material used for shower pans, among other things.

Anyone know anything about this stuff? Where to get it? I'm going to
talk to my local tile shop about it tomorrow.

Google returns www.coreau.com which it appears is parent company. It
appears to be a French company. Their site uses Flash which I don't
load so here's about all I found.

http://www.equi-pump.com/site/01_ali...nea_Coreau.pdf.

5,Rue Paul Cézanne – 10120 Saint GERMAIN – FRANCE – www.coreau.com -

FABRICANTE DE BOMBAS DE ENGRANES COREAU®
CORILEX®
CORALOY®

Not clear this is the right one for the membrane, though as they seem to
be specialty pumps and gears.

Did find a tile forum that talks of it a couple of times -- if no luck
locally, might try the
www.johnbridge.com forum and ask the respondent
where it's from.

I'd say if it's that difficult to locate it probably isn't going to be
available w/o a whole lot of trouble so I'd go w/ a traditional pan or
other membrane product.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
It's a sheet plastic material used for shower pans, among other things.

I intended to add, look at Composeal Blue -- www.compotite.com

It's the one I've seen used recently.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

And a puzzle strikes me -- how come the recommender couldn't provide the
info?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2008 8:05 AM dpb spake thus:

And a puzzle strikes me -- how come the recommender couldn't provide the
info?

Heh; it helps if you look for the product under the correct name.

Today I called the local tile place here and asked about this stuff, as
the recommender told me they carry it. It's *Chloraloy*, made by Noble:

http://www.noblecompany.com/Products...8/Default.aspx

(The "chlor-" is because it's made of chlorinated polyethylene.)

The tile place (Import Tile in Berkeley) also suggested another
waterproofing membrane from Schluter called "Kerdi":

http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi.aspx

If anyone has had experience with either one of these products, or with
any similar waterproofing membranes, I'd appreciate hearing from you. In
the meantime I'm going back to my recommender with a new set of
questions. (Like what is "fat mud", which is what the tile people
recommended I use with the membrane on vertical surfaces?)

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I've used both Noble and Schluter products. Both work well, but my
sense is that Schluter is the better. Take advantage of their corner
pieces and pipe flanges too.

Boden