Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neutralize Muriatic acid

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:55:21 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Apr 23, 3:36*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 01:27:20 -0400, wrote:
If this acid has been in the bottom of your pool all week I doubt
there is really much acidity left anyway and you probably do have a
"ring" in the pool.

But the job hasn't started yet. I can't wash / spray with acid in 30
mph winds

Litmus paper will verify if you neutralise it. Acid may not make a
difference in looks, before you experiment you should test a section.
There are many other totaly safe ways to clean anything. As I said my
neighbor had to fill in with dirt his $100,000 pool from acid ruining
the main drain. How about your pump and boiler, etc., acid eats metal.
Get a garden sprayer to apply whatever you use and do a test, and
remember the Fumes will stay in the pool with you, even with a wind.
You are messing with nasty stuff that has burnt my lungs and ruined
the galvanised coating off of conduit that rusted a week later, but
was ok for 30 years. Dont kid around with acid, it bites back hard.

Once your skin or eyes are burned, it's too late. Whenever I use a
strong acid I work under a vented hood and use as small amounts as
possible. I see a danger with using acid to clean a large pool.
There are much safer chemicals to use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Apr 23, 3:36*pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

There are much safer chemicals to use.- Hide quoted text -

A vented hood- extremely smart idea pulling in good air , in a pool
unless he rents a blower with a extension tube in the pool he is F---
ed, getting ill from acid is no joke, ive been there many times. Even
in fresh air on a building!
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

A vented hood- extremely smart idea pulling in good air , in a pool
unless he rents a blower with a extension tube in the pool he is F---
ed, getting ill from acid is no joke, ive been there many times. Even
in fresh air on a building!

Doesn't muriatic give off hydrogen gas when it reacts with lime?
Chlorine gas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 7:52*pm, Norminn wrote:
clipped

A vented hood- extremely smart idea pulling in good air , in a pool
unless he rents a blower with a extension tube in the pool he is F---
ed, getting ill from acid is no joke, ive been there many times. Even
in fresh air on a building!

Doesn't muriatic give off hydrogen gas when it reacts with lime?
Chlorine gas?

Dont know, but it makes you sick