DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Please recommend hand tools brands (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/246136-please-recommend-hand-tools-brands.html)

varois83 April 20th 08 09:26 PM

Please recommend hand tools brands

Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

Thanks for the help

Patrick

ransley April 20th 08 09:41 PM

On Apr 20, 2:26*pm, varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

Thanks for the help

Patrick

Avg stuff can cost more in the long run especialy working on a car
which stresses and ruins cheap tools. If you will use it every week or
month get a lifetime warranty.

dpb April 20th 08 10:03 PM

varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.

01dyna April 20th 08 10:39 PM

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:03:23 -0500, dpb you wrote:

varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.

Master Mechanic comes with the same life time warranty from True Value
HW stores.

ransley April 20th 08 11:53 PM

varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.

Master Mechanic comes with the same life time warranty from True Value
HW stores.

I thought Craftsman had lost their lustre. *Somewhere I read/heard
that they are not what they were. *Off-shored, or what?

Your opinion?

Aspasia- Hide quoted text -

Ive returned broken craftsman hand tools with no reciept or questions
asked, like when using screwdrivers as crobars on stone.

dpb April 21st 08 12:14 AM

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:03:23 -0500, dpb you wrote:

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.

Master Mechanic comes with the same life time warranty from True Value
HW stores.

There are a number who offer lifetime warranties -- I have no direct
experience on how easy/difficult it is to collect on them from anybody
other than Sears. Sears, however, is still a trivial process I know.

Others may have experience on the working end of the warranties for some
of the others...

01dyna April 21st 08 12:29 AM

varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.

Master Mechanic comes with the same life time warranty from True Value
HW stores.

I thought Craftsman had lost their lustre. Somewhere I read/heard
that they are not what they were. Off-shored, or what?

Your opinion?

Aspasia

Many years ago, Craftsman was limited to specific tools. Later, Sears
branched out to more mass produced items and well as one-off items
that are manufactured off-shore. When that happened, their quality
suffered, however their warranty still stands.

I guess they figure that sheer numbers of units sold outweigh those
that ask for replacements.

01dyna April 21st 08 12:30 AM

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:14:05 -0500, dpb you wrote:

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:03:23 -0500, dpb you wrote:

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.

Master Mechanic comes with the same life time warranty from True Value
HW stores.

There are a number who offer lifetime warranties -- I have no direct
experience on how easy/difficult it is to collect on them from anybody
other than Sears. Sears, however, is still a trivial process I know.

Others may have experience on the working end of the warranties for some
of the others...

Master Mechanic is like Craftsman, in that you can go to any True
Value hardware store and swap them out on the spot. I believe you can
also send them to to Ace/True Value and they'll send you a
replacement.

Craftsman/K-Mart are now one and the same FWIW.

dpb April 21st 08 12:46 AM

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:06:52 -0700, aspasia you wrote:

Many years ago, Craftsman was limited to specific tools.

What do you define as "many"?

...Later, Sears
branched out to more mass produced items and well as one-off items
that are manufactured off-shore. When that happened, their quality
suffered, however their warranty still stands.

Hand tools ime are essentially the same quality they've always been and
the warranty is still applicable to Craftsman-labeled only, not
"Companion" or other lines.

It would be hard to find any of the others of comparable pricing and
warranty that aren't made offshore also, including I strongly suspect,
the M M branded items from T V. There's even a reasonable prospect
they're made by the same outfits in the same factories, simply to
different spec's and branded per customer.

dpb April 21st 08 12:51 AM

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:03:23 -0500, dpb you wrote:

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.
Master Mechanic comes with the same life time warranty from True Value
HW stores.

There are a number who offer lifetime warranties -- I have no direct
experience on how easy/difficult it is to collect on them from anybody
other than Sears. Sears, however, is still a trivial process I know.

Others may have experience on the working end of the warranties for some
of the others...

Master Mechanic is like Craftsman, in that you can go to any True
Value hardware store and swap them out on the spot. I believe you can
also send them to to Ace/True Value and they'll send you a
replacement.

How picky are they in accepting them? Require receipts, throw out cases
of what would obviously have been abuse, etc., etc., etc., ...?

Sears has a track record, not so sure how the others' stands up in
comparison is all...

Craftsman/K-Mart are now one and the same FWIW.

Not a thing in this context...

The point is, for a hand tool that would meet the objective of OP,
there's no doubt Craftsman will do the job at a reasonable price point.

There may be others w/ the combination of variety, warranty and value
that meet or come close; if so, recommend them. There's no reason to
try to denigrate Sears/Craftsman in the process--in this case its
unwarranted.

Aaron Eel April 21st 08 01:17 AM

On Apr 20, 4:03�pm, dpb wrote:
varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.

--

Yes but don't get sold on the Craftsman name just because their hand
tools are lifetime guaranteed. Their other tools are not. My brother

(Ehrin Lloyd)

dpb April 21st 08 01:47 AM

Aaron Eel wrote:
Yes but don't get sold on the Craftsman name just because their hand
tools are lifetime guaranteed. Their other tools are not. ...

Never said they were...

Frank[_9_] April 21st 08 01:49 AM

"Aaron Eel" wrote in message
On Apr 20, 4:03?pm, dpb wrote:
varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.

--

Yes but don't get sold on the Craftsman name just because their hand
tools are lifetime guaranteed. Their other tools are not. My brother
had the seals in the Craftsman floor jack that we bought him go bad
within the first 18 months.

(Ehrin Lloyd)

Craftsman hand tools are pretty good and warranted for life even without a
receipt as noted by others. The price is about 5X more than the no name
Chinese hand tools that is also warranted for life so Sears could afford to
replace a socket or a wrench once in a while. I noticed the steel on the
hand saws and cold chisels are not as good as from the 960s but still
warranted for life. Their floor jacks, dill bits and other non powered tools
are not warranted for life. With the exception of the Professional series,
my experience with Craftsman power tools are not good and its no wonder its
know as "Crapsman" by many.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2008&safe=off

HeyBub[_3_] April 21st 08 02:12 AM

varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

Right now my local HD has a set of about 110 screwdrivers for $20.00.

I got a set. Sold the square tipped ones (six) on Ebay for $4 + $4 shipping.
So a usable set of screwdrivers (104) cost me, net, about $13.00.

Perfectly adequate screwdrivers for normal or computer type work. The nice
thing about the set was it didn't have those goddamn "stubby" models.

HeyBub[_3_] April 21st 08 02:14 AM

varois83 wrote:
Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

Thanks for the help

It also depends on the use. For example, a set of 12 foam brushes from
Harbor Freight ($3) will work just as well as the kind that cost $1 each. A
$4 crowbar from the same place is just as functional as the $30 model at the
tool store.

Nate Nagel April 21st 08 02:19 AM

HeyBub wrote:
varois83 wrote:

Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

Thanks for the help

It also depends on the use. For example, a set of 12 foam brushes from
Harbor Freight ($3) will work just as well as the kind that cost $1 each. A
$4 crowbar from the same place is just as functional as the $30 model at the
tool store.

For pliers I prefer Klein or Channellock, for wrenches, sockets and such
stick with Craftsman, Kobalt, or Husky (more expensive pro stuff really
is better but more expensive; anything cheaper you'll be disappointed
in.) Screwdrivers - well I really don't have any good ones. I have
Craftsman and I'm really disappointed in them. Lifetime warranty is
nice, but I seem to trade in 2-3 of them every 6 mos. or so. One Torx
driver spun the handle the very first time I tried to use it and no I
was not using a socket on the handle, just turning it with my hand. I'm
not weak but I shouldn't be able to spin the handle on a T-15 torx.
Especially when I'm just popping the top off a carburetor.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

01dyna April 21st 08 03:07 AM

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:51:47 -0500, dpb you wrote:

How picky are they in accepting them? Require receipts, throw out cases
of what would obviously have been abuse, etc., etc., etc., ...?

...in another life, I worked part time at a local True Value. Their
policy is, if it's broke, replace it. No receipt is required.

Sears has a track record, not so sure how the others' stands up in
comparison is all...

....what track record is that? That they will replace a defective
and/or broken item? They're not unique in that market, just the best
marketing.

Craftsman/K-Mart are now one and the same FWIW.

Not a thing in this context...

The point is, for a hand tool that would meet the objective of OP,
there's no doubt Craftsman will do the job at a reasonable price point.

...I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. Just because
Craftsman has a "no questions asked warranty", that doesn't mean
they're better, or even good. Personally, I'd rather buy *really*
good tools over one with a great warranty.

Working on something that *must* be fixed *right now*, doesn't give me
the warm fuzzies when a critical tool snaps on me and I have to drive
across town for a (free) replacement. I've had three Craftsman box
wrenches and two socket wrenches crap out on me. Murhphys Law, it was
a Sunday evening and the local Sears store was closed. Fat lot of good
a replacement warranty did for me then.

There may be others w/ the combination of variety, warranty and value
that meet or come close; if so, recommend them. There's no reason to
try to denigrate Sears/Craftsman in the process--in this case its
unwarranted.

I already did mention one. You tried to discredit it by inferring that
their warranty isn't a good or as flexible. Hey, if you're partial to
Craftsman, knock yourself out. I personally don' t have anything
against Craftsman, but they're not the only tool in town. It's
apparent you have a soft spot for them to defend them so blindly.

Me, I like to keep an open mind.

Incidentally, if Craftsman were *that* good, you'd see more of them in
professional mechanics toolsets but you don't. They have to use those
tools *every day* and time down running across town to replace a tool
is money lost. Snap On tools are some of the *best*. MUCH more
expensive yes, but some day, I'd like replace everything (except my
Proto socket set), with Snap Ons.

01dyna April 21st 08 03:09 AM

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:46:35 -0500, dpb you wrote:

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:06:52 -0700, aspasia you wrote:

Many years ago, Craftsman was limited to specific tools.

What do you define as "many"?

20 years or more...I have Craftsman tools handed down to me that
are *at least* that old and they are FAR better quality than the ones
sold today.

...Later, Sears
branched out to more mass produced items and well as one-off items
that are manufactured off-shore. When that happened, their quality
suffered, however their warranty still stands.

Hand tools ime are essentially the same quality they've always been and
the warranty is still applicable to Craftsman-labeled only, not
"Companion" or other lines.

...hogwash. You make this up as you go along. Do you know *anything*
about hand tools?

It would be hard to find any of the others of comparable pricing and
warranty that aren't made offshore also, including I strongly suspect,
the M M branded items from T V. There's even a reasonable prospect
they're made by the same outfits in the same factories, simply to
different spec's and branded per customer.

...nope..made in USA with forged steel.

varois83 April 21st 08 03:11 AM

Please recommend hand tools brands

Hi

This is the original poster, lots of good answers and knowledgeable
people here I see. I have to admit for the use I will have of them
which is pretty casual when something needs fixing in the house or I
need to get a new battery, I like the craftsman for life warranty
idea.
Now some other cheaper ideas are attractive too like harborfreight or
cheaper sets at home depot. I will keep reading here and go in stores
to look around a little bit. Sears has a nice 154 pc set for $99 right
now on sale, I compared with online prices and it's a true sale as I
see that set for $150-$160 everywhere.

Thanks to all who posted and keep typing please I love reading it all.

Patrick

dpb April 21st 08 04:07 AM

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:51:47 -0500, dpb you wrote:

How picky are they in accepting them? Require receipts, throw out cases
of what would obviously have been abuse, etc., etc., etc., ...?

..in another life, I worked part time at a local True Value. Their
policy is, if it's broke, replace it. No receipt is required.

That's good, I've not had any of theirs so just checking it's same or at
least similar...

Sears has a track record, not so sure how the others' stands up in
comparison is all...

...what track record is that? That they will replace a defective
and/or broken item? They're not unique in that market, just the best
marketing.

That was the subject in question and marketing or no, they've been at it
far longer than T V or much of anybody else that I know of. _That_
track record of continuing the policy for something like 40 years or so
now...how long has T V had their policy in effect?

Craftsman/K-Mart are now one and the same FWIW.

Not a thing in this context...

The point is, for a hand tool that would meet the objective of OP,
there's no doubt Craftsman will do the job at a reasonable price point.

..I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. Just because
Craftsman has a "no questions asked warranty", that doesn't mean
they're better, or even good. Personally, I'd rather buy *really*
good tools over one with a great warranty.

There's no "jumping" to a conclusion whatsoever wrt Craftsman _hand_
tools about them being serviceable for the type of service OP requested
tools for. That, and that only, is the point of any response I've made
in this thread.

Whether your choice matches that of the OP isn't the question here.

Working on something that *must* be fixed *right now*, doesn't give me
the warm fuzzies when a critical tool snaps on me and I have to drive
across town for a (free) replacement. I've had three Craftsman box
wrenches and two socket wrenches crap out on me. Murhphys Law, it was
a Sunday evening and the local Sears store was closed. Fat lot of good
a replacement warranty did for me then.

Well, I've used a lot of Craftsman wrenches in very difficult
circumstances and can say have never managed to break one, even w/ the
hammer and/or cheater trick. You must be lucky that way, and I suspect
if the local Sears was closed on a Sunday evening odds are pretty high
your local T V was closed as well. Sometimes stuff happens.

There may be others w/ the combination of variety, warranty and value
that meet or come close; if so, recommend them. There's no reason to
try to denigrate Sears/Craftsman in the process--in this case its
unwarranted.

I already did mention one. You tried to discredit it by inferring that
their warranty isn't a good or as flexible.

I did nothing of the sort -- I simply asked for clarification as I've no
experience w/ theirs...

...Hey, if you're partial to
Craftsman, knock yourself out.

I'm not particularly partial to Craftsman, no...I stand by the original
recommendation to OP for his purpose, however.

apparent you have a soft spot for them to defend them so blindly.

I'm not defending them any more than I think your attacking is
unjustified for the purpose stated. I realize it is usenet protocol to
jump Sears, Wally-World, BORGs, etc., at a drop of the name, and where
justified I'll climb on board, too. In this instance I don't think it's
justified is all. You took a question for a personal attack, apparently.

Me, I like to keep an open mind.

Incidentally, if Craftsman were *that* good, you'd see more of them in
professional mechanics toolsets but you don't. They have to use those
tools *every day* and time down running across town to replace a tool
is money lost. Snap On tools are some of the *best*. MUCH more
expensive yes, but some day, I'd like replace everything (except my
Proto socket set), with Snap Ons.

I've Proto stuff inherited from grandfather and father that is clearly
far superior to anything Craftsman made in finish, etc., ... OTOH,
there's some Sears stuff of the same vintage that is every bit as
serviceable if not quite as pleasing to touch.

This is working farm so tools are one of the life blood items...

dpb April 21st 08 04:19 AM

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:06:52 -0700, aspasia you wrote:

Many years ago, Craftsman was limited to specific tools.

What do you define as "many"?

20 years or more...I have Craftsman tools handed down to me that
are *at least* that old and they are FAR better quality than the ones
sold today.

I've stuff that's at least 3X that...

...Later, Sears
branched out to more mass produced items and well as one-off items
that are manufactured off-shore. When that happened, their quality
suffered, however their warranty still stands.

Hand tools ime are essentially the same quality they've always been and
the warranty is still applicable to Craftsman-labeled only, not
"Companion" or other lines.

..hogwash. You make this up as you go along. Do you know *anything*
about hand tools?

Probably far more than you, I'm getting to feel... :(

Although on reflection, it's probably been nearly 20 years since I
bought any additional hand tools to speak of since I had my own which I
brought when came back to the farm where there was already an 80-year
accumulation of essentially everything needed.

I've swapped out one pair of electrician's pliers the son chipped a jaw
in by using them to try to cut #10 fencing wire instead of Cu and as
near as I can tell, their identical other than the handle cushion
material is slightly different to the pair that were probably on the
order of 20 years old, themselves.

OTTT, I think the only additional hand tools I've bought since I
returned was a full metric socket set for 1/2 and 3/4 drive as that was
the one place I was short and until recently most farm equipment was
still SAE so that was the place Dad was short, too.

On sale, their kits including another socket and breakover were cheaper
than anything else that I saw in town. Of course, we don't have a True
Value so couldn't go there...

ransley April 21st 08 04:29 AM

On Apr 20, 8:11*pm, varois83 wrote:
Hi

This is the original poster, lots of good answers and knowledgeable
people here I see. I have to admit for the use I will have of them
which is pretty casual when something needs fixing in the house or I
need to get a new battery, I like the craftsman for life warranty
idea.
Now some other cheaper ideas are attractive too like harborfreight or
cheaper sets at home depot. I will keep reading here and go in stores
to look around a little bit. Sears has a nice 154 pc set for $99 right
now on sale, I compared with online prices and it's a true sale as I
see that set for $150-$160 everywhere.

Thanks to all who posted and keep typing please I love reading it all.

Patrick

Harbor Freight, not for quality plus its mail order, local is better,
HD maybe, HDs ridgid line is lifetime warranty on cordless drills and
batteries, they might have a good hand tool line up.

SteveB April 21st 08 05:51 AM

"01dyna" wrote in message

[...]

I agree. I was raised on Craftsman and I'm sixty. But lately, I've had a
lot of Craftsman stuff crap out on me, and there's items that seem just a
little cheesy. They're an okay tool brand, but definitely not the best.

What's the best? Whatever works, doesn't break or strip out when you're
using it, and lasts until you have gotten your money's worth out of it.
That can mean a tool chest of mismatched tools. A good craftsman can make
lots of marginal tools terminate in a good ending. And then, a guy can have
good tools, and not be able to do a lot. Talent and training are worth far
more than tools. Of any brand.

Steve

Phisherman April 21st 08 01:19 PM

Please recommend hand tools brands

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:26:33 -0700 (PDT), varois83
wrote:

Hi

I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for
common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as
brands and prices?
I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good.
I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often,
wrenches, screw drivers and the likes.
Not sure what is a good deal or not either.

Thanks for the help

Patrick

"Made in USA" is better than "Made in China."

John Grabowski April 21st 08 11:16 PM

"varois83" wrote in message
Hi

This is the original poster, lots of good answers and knowledgeable
people here I see. I have to admit for the use I will have of them
which is pretty casual when something needs fixing in the house or I
need to get a new battery, I like the craftsman for life warranty
idea.
Now some other cheaper ideas are attractive too like harborfreight or
cheaper sets at home depot. I will keep reading here and go in stores
to look around a little bit. Sears has a nice 154 pc set for $99 right
now on sale, I compared with online prices and it's a true sale as I
see that set for $150-$160 everywhere.

Thanks to all who posted and keep typing please I love reading it all.

Patrick

It's nice to buy tools on sale and I have also got some great deals at
garage sales and contractor going out of business sales. Check Craigslist
periodically. One thing I have realized over the years is to not buy too
many tools until you actually need them. When I was much younger I would
buy tools just in case I might need them or because they were a on sale. I
can't tell you how many socket sets and wrenches I own that I have actually
never used, but it is a lot. You should also think about tool storage and
tool security. Tools disappear quickly when they are out in the open.

Red Green April 22nd 08 05:45 AM

Please recommend hand tools brands

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"01dyna" wrote in message

[...]

I'm tellin' ya Steve. It's that fat-ass Sears Whore Vila's fault.

Phisherman April 22nd 08 12:22 PM

Please recommend hand tools brands

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:45:14 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"01dyna" wrote in message

[...]

You need to check for the Craftsman warranty. I have a wooden hand
screw clamp (used for woodworking). The handle on it came loose. When
I tried to exchange it, they said it did not have a lifetime warranty
because it has moving parts. Craftsman wrenches and screwdrivers do
have the warranty. I would rate Craftsman hand tools as average (or
slightly higher than average) quality--certainly not as good as they
were 40 years ago.