Posted to alt.home.repair

Default contract with roofer

I'm having a rubberized roof installed on a 2 car garage at a cost of
$1900 and the roofer wants to install it over the rolled roofing,is
this a good idea and should I have a contract with this roofer stating
warranty?
Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

I don't have any idea about rubber over rolled, but you should absolutely
have a written contract and warranty and also make sure he is licensed -
don't take his word for it. Also check with the state to see if there are
any complaints against him.

cm
"drazenv" wrote in message
I'm having a rubberized roof installed on a 2 car garage at a cost of
$1900 and the roofer wants to install it over the rolled roofing,is
this a good idea and should I have a contract with this roofer stating
warranty?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 12:34*pm, drazenv wrote:
I'm having a rubberized roof installed on a 2 car garage at a cost of
$1900 and the roofer wants to install it over the rolled roofing,is
this a good idea and should I have a contract with this roofer stating
warranty?

You can put it over a flat roof without gravel and no rot, but your
roof is leaking, right, for how long and how bad, How old is roof and
garage because rotted wood is likely there that needs to be replaced
unless you can see from underneath all wood is sound, and it can be
found from above by pounding areas. 1900 for a regular 25x 25 garage
may be a bit much, you need a contract and what grade of rubber roof
and wood repair, clean up and all that is included. A contractor bid
mine with the better quality rubber, he had it in front of his truck,
I went on the roof and he snuck up the cheap stuff from the other side
and was roofing without replacing the rot he agreeed to. I took his
roofing and threw it off, I picked up his 5ft breaker bar and knocked
holes through all the rot, he was very ****ed, but he was a crook as
so many are, but it got done. Does he have insurance, you have to talk
to his broker to know, a cert can be faked. Likely he will be out of
business before you need the warranty, your best warranty is have
someone else you trust oversee his work. Like removing rot and bad
areas and using what he specified etc etc. A few minor leaks can be
fixed with a bucket of roof cement till you figure it all out. Go with
someone with a good reputation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 12:34 pm, drazenv wrote:
I'm having a rubberized roof installed on a 2 car garage at a cost of
$1900 and the roofer wants to install it over the rolled roofing,is
this a good idea and should I have a contract with this roofer stating
warranty?

EPDM rubber roofing should be glued down to fiber board underlayment.
If the old roof is sound, he could probably install the underlayment
over rolled roofing. A written contract that spells out your
expectations is always a good idea.

JK

Anyone know a roofer? salesguy UK diy 1 June 26th 07 11:36 AM
Do I need a roofer? [email protected] UK diy 3 March 16th 07 07:21 PM
Roofer Contract Dispute Lisa Taylor Home Ownership 20 June 17th 05 05:40 PM
Roofer Contract Dispute Lisa Taylor Home Repair 21 June 17th 05 05:40 PM
A Very Bad Roofer kiki Home Ownership 10 February 28th 05 10:47 PM