Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Going back to candlelight

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:06:05 -0500, wrote:

With these new compact florescent bulbs, we may as well all go back to
candle light. I have lived with these damn CF bulbs in my garage for
several years. I go in to get a tool, and have to stand for 5 minutes
waiting to be able to see what I'm doing. I started carrying a
flashlight to use while these damn bulbs got up to full brightness.
That's when I realized I may as well just use the flashlight, or a
candle. By the time these bulbs are bright enough to see anything I
am shutting them back off and leaving with my tools. The other night
I finally had enough. I replaced them with standard light bulbs. Now
I am no longer living in the dark and wasting my life away waiting to
see. Those CF bulbs might save energy, and might save me a few cents,
but the aggravation is not worth it. Except for lights that remain on
for long periods of time, I will not be using CF bulbs any longer.

One other thing, these bulbs are advertised to outlast standard bulbs.
I have not found that to be correct. None of them last any longer,
and many burn out sooner. I did find that those that take the longest
to get up to normal brightness seem to last longer than those that get
bright sooner. Either way, they are not practical except for security
lights that stay on for long periods of time, and their cost savings
are quickly used to replace these bulbs that cost 10 or more times the
cost of a standard bulb.

I have about a dozen CF bulbs around here. They do take longer to
reach usable brightness than incandescents, but I've never had one
take more than 3 seconds.

Could you be having some really cold weather?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 11:45*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:32:49 -0500, Mark Lloyd

wrote:
[...]

In REAL cold weather they dont light at all. *Or maybe a tiny bit
which is not worth the effort to turn them on. *My bic lighter is
brighter. *Right now it's in the 50's and it still takes forever to
get bright. *- Hide quoted text -

All 8 of mine get bright, fully bright at -10ft , and yours "dont
light at all" ok