Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Tool to Use For Vinyl Window Pane Removal

I have several pieces of glass I need to replace in some double hung,
double pane vinyl windows. Each pane has four vinyl strips which holds
the pane in place. I use a painters tool to remove these strips with
no problem. The other side of the pane is caulked (with silicon) which
holds it to a half inch vinyl casing. What tool is best to use to run
between this casing and the window to cut away the caulk? It looks
like some kind of sharp blade with a 45 or 90 degree angle would work
best. Any experienced window people out there have any suggestions for
the right tool? Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 18, 8:01*pm, gwtx2 wrote:
I have several pieces of glass I need to replace in some double hung,
double pane vinyl windows. Each pane has four vinyl strips which holds
the pane in place. I use a painters tool to *remove these strips with
no problem. The other side of the pane is caulked (with silicon) which
holds it to a half inch vinyl casing. What tool is best to use to run
between this casing and the window to cut away the caulk? It looks
like some kind of sharp blade with a 45 or 90 degree angle would work
best. Any experienced window people out there have any suggestions for
the right tool? Thanks in advance.

The right tool is your car or truck. Load up the project pieces and
take them to a professional glass shop. There are so many tricks to
the trade that your outcome on the repairs would be disappointing at
best. In our area the glass shops work fast and cheap. so it doesn't
make much sense to take that time away from more urgent work. Good
luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:01:34 -0700 (PDT), gwtx2
wrote:

I have several pieces of glass I need to replace in some double hung,
double pane vinyl windows. Each pane has four vinyl strips which holds
the pane in place. I use a painters tool to remove these strips with
no problem. The other side of the pane is caulked (with silicon) which
holds it to a half inch vinyl casing. What tool is best to use to run
between this casing and the window to cut away the caulk? It looks
like some kind of sharp blade with a 45 or 90 degree angle would work
best. Any experienced window people out there have any suggestions for
the right tool? Thanks in advance.

A 12" cake spatula, with one inch wide blade and a pair of gloves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have several pieces of glass I need to replace in some double hung,
double pane vinyl windows. Each pane has four vinyl strips which holds
the pane in place. I use a painters tool to remove these strips with
no problem. The other side of the pane is caulked (with silicon) which
holds it to a half inch vinyl casing. What tool is best to use to run
between this casing and the window to cut away the caulk? It looks
like some kind of sharp blade with a 45 or 90 degree angle would work
best. Any experienced window people out there have any suggestions for
the right tool? Thanks in advance.

A 12" cake spatula, with one inch wide blade and a pair of gloves.

Are you talking about a cake spatula that is used to cut a (birthday/
wedding) cake or do they make a similar "tool" with a sharper edge?
Nice idea. I'll give that a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 1:25 pm, Joe wrote:
On Apr 18, 8:01 pm, gwtx2 wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion Joe, but I'd already thought of that one.
The windows are single hung (not double hung as I originally said), so
the top portion can't be removed. Besides, I'd rather learn how to do
this myself. IF it becomes more than I'm comfortable with, then I'll
hire an expert to come in and take over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have several pieces of glass I need to replace in some double hung,
double pane vinyl windows. Each pane has four vinyl strips which holds
the pane in place. I use a painters tool to remove these strips with
no problem. The other side of the pane is caulked (with silicon) which
holds it to a half inch vinyl casing. What tool is best to use to run
between this casing and the window to cut away the caulk? It looks
like some kind of sharp blade with a 45 or 90 degree angle would work
best. Any experienced window people out there have any suggestions for
the right tool? Thanks in advance.

A 12" cake spatula, with one inch wide blade and a pair of gloves.

Are you talking about a cake spatula that is used to cut a (birthday/
wedding) cake or do they make a similar "tool" with a sharper edge?
Nice idea. I'll give that a try.

Not for cutting or serving, but one used in decoration.

This pic* is an offset type, but I prefer the simple straight one. You
really want to get under the silicon to separate the glass and caulk.
You can also break the glass, as with any expensive tool. Warm days
are better.

Wear gloves for protection. I've de glazed a number of windows with a
spatula.

Use the straight one, not offset* Check a dollar store.
http://www.cheflillian.com/wp-conten.../09/offset.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Maybe like the one on the right in this picture?

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=31797
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Exactly.

Work one side of the window a bit; then a little at the top or bottom.
Change back to a side and keep working the end of the spatula under
the silicon.

That is my go-to tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
gwtx2 wrote:

I have several pieces of glass I need to replace in some double hung,
double pane vinyl windows. Each pane has four vinyl strips which holds
the pane in place. I use a painters tool to remove these strips with
no problem. The other side of the pane is caulked (with silicon) which
holds it to a half inch vinyl casing. What tool is best to use to run
between this casing and the window to cut away the caulk? It looks
like some kind of sharp blade with a 45 or 90 degree angle would work
best. Any experienced window people out there have any suggestions for
the right tool? Thanks in advance.

If you haven't already located a tool, I'd recommend an artist's
palette knife. They come in several different styles, some of them bent
like you describe (or with an offset handle), and in several different
degrees of stiffness. Wouldn't be difficult to sharpen the working edge
for better cutting, but then I do that all the time to other edged
tools. YMMV.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work: