Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chirping Dryer

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 7:40 pm, "m_corbelli" wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Two ideas:
1) Support rollers (most likely)
2) Motor (less likely).

Good luck!
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400, "m_corbelli"
wrote:

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

The belt. Adjust tension/apply belt dressing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Probably the rear support bearing. Relatively easy to replace. A quick
temporary fix would be to flip up the top, and then drip a few drops
of oil on the bearing from above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:46:53 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:40 pm, "m_corbelli" wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Two ideas:
1) Support rollers (most likely)

I'll go with idler pulley as #2.

2) Motor (less likely).

If I was pulling it apart, first I'd buy the support rollers- idler
pulley & some lube. [get it from the parts place- it is a special
high-temp lube that doesn't attract lint]

Once it's apart they are fairly cheap and easy to install.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

the drum support rollers need lube.

"m_corbelli" wrote in message
. ..
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving
the wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m_corbelli wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's
driving the wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Depends.

Do you want to fix the dryer or the wife?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a chirping Maytag. I greased the roller bushings and it was quiet for
a day.
I bought new rollers online and did the replacement. It was an easy job
since
I had someone to help hold the drum during reassembly.

"m_corbelli" wrote in message
. ..
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving
the wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 7:40 pm, "m_corbelli" wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today.

The source of mine was the rear central drum "bearing", which is
basically just a pointed shaft on the back of the drum which fits into
a recess.

I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.

Along the way I discovered a lot of part prices made just buying a new
one seem the best solution, next time.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 18, 7:40 pm, "m_corbelli" wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today.

The source of mine was the rear central drum "bearing", which is
basically just a pointed shaft on the back of the drum which fits into
a recess.

I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.

There was likely supposed to be a nylon bushing in there in which the
shaft turns, not just packed w/ grease...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 11:18 am, dpb wrote:
gpsman wrote:

I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.

There was likely supposed to be a nylon bushing in there in which the
shaft turns, not just packed w/ grease...

Coulda been I reckon, but there weren't any remnants of it and IIRC it
was a fairly tight fit.

Been working fine for a little over a year... maybe it was a "pocket
bushing"...
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 11:18 am, dpb wrote:
gpsman wrote:

I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.

There was likely supposed to be a nylon bushing in there in which the
shaft turns, not just packed w/ grease...

Coulda been I reckon, but there weren't any remnants of it and IIRC it
was a fairly tight fit.

Been working fine for a little over a year... maybe it was a "pocket
bushing"...

What brand/model? It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes. Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 1:26 pm, dpb wrote:

What brand/model?

GE- DBXR453ET3WW

It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point

That does seem a bit odd, now that you mention it.

as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes.

Mmm... seems unlikely, given the location. Hasn't occurred anyway.

Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.

I agree. Maybe a guy who worked on it before tricked me.

I've already put it in the "fixed for $0" category, please don't burst
my fantasy...
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 1:26 pm, dpb wrote:
What brand/model?

GE- DBXR453ET3WW

It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point

That does seem a bit odd, now that you mention it.

as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes.

Mmm... seems unlikely, given the location. Hasn't occurred anyway.

Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.

I agree. Maybe a guy who worked on it before tricked me.

I've already put it in the "fixed for $0" category, please don't burst
my fantasy...

(I like that one...)

In the vein of not bursting bubble (or is that bauble?) I didn't take
the time to look up the actual model number, but I've had GE dryers for
"since forever" and they all have had a nylon bushing...

So, if it needs something again, look and see if the remnants of the old
one aren't still in there. The grounding strap that contacts the end of
the drum shaft comes loose and then there's a c-clip that holds the
drum. I have (once w/ one that was virtually completely gone) managed
to get the pieces out from the rear and push the new one in, but the
correct way is to pull the drum. That, as you have discovered, isn't
but a bout a 20 minute job start to finish on these puppies...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

The battery is getting weak.

It has to be replaced, just like in a smoke alarm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 3:06 pm, dpb wrote:
gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 1:26 pm, dpb wrote:
What brand/model?

GE- DBXR453ET3WW

[...]

If it needs anything else it's going to the scrap yard, but I cleaned
out the recess looking for metal shavings and there weren't nothing in
there but a small amount of old dirty grease.

That, as you have discovered, isn't
but a bout a 20 minute job start to finish on these puppies...

Heh. Took me about an hour, but I only work on a dryer every 10 years
or so. I've only got maybe 2 dryer repairs left in me, so I'm saving
them for a better dryer.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 3:06 pm, dpb wrote:
gpsman wrote:

So, if it needs something again, look and see if the remnants of the old
one aren't still in there.

If it needs anything else it's going to the scrap yard, but I cleaned
out the recess looking for metal shavings and there weren't nothing in
there but a small amount of old dirty grease.

Showing how slow a day it is, I did a search -- the picture looks quite
similar to the bracket on the old ones I've worked on, but two places
had only a full "kit" under your specific model number, not just the
nylon bearing. Since they wanted roughly $40 for that, I might just go
your route instead given the choice. For the ones I've replaced,
the bushing/bearing alone was available for about $6-7.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I fixed it (at least temporarily) by taking off the front panel and
shooting WD40 on all the rollers and pulleys. Hey, what's the deal
with all the spam on the group? Makes it darn near useless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 8:25 am, Mark wrote:
I fixed it (at least temporarily) by taking off the front panel and
shooting WD40 on all the rollers and pulleys.

That narrows it down.

Hey, what's the deal
with all the spam on the group?

Most often a product of overenthusiasm applied to a ridiculously poor
business model, and/or kids with peckers too sore to touch, I think.

Makes it darn near useless.

Eh, you can filter it out, so I'm told, with a good newsreader. I
just ignore it, but it does seem to irritate a lot of people.
-----

- gpsman