Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Chirping Dryer

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.


  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Chirping Dryer

On Apr 18, 7:40 pm, "m_corbelli" wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.


Two ideas:
1) Support rollers (most likely)
2) Motor (less likely).

Good luck!
Sam


  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,489
Default Chirping Dryer

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400, "m_corbelli"
wrote:

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.



The belt. Adjust tension/apply belt dressing.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 903
Default Chirping Dryer

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400, "m_corbelli"
wrote:

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Probably the rear support bearing. Relatively easy to replace. A quick
temporary fix would be to flip up the top, and then drip a few drops
of oil on the bearing from above.
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,595
Default Chirping Dryer

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:46:53 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:40 pm, "m_corbelli" wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.


Two ideas:
1) Support rollers (most likely)


I'll go with idler pulley as #2.

2) Motor (less likely).


If I was pulling it apart, first I'd buy the support rollers- idler
pulley & some lube. [get it from the parts place- it is a special
high-temp lube that doesn't attract lint]

Once it's apart they are fairly cheap and easy to install.

Jim


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 655
Default Chirping Dryer

the drum support rollers need lube.

s


"m_corbelli" wrote in message
. ..
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving
the wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.



  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,538
Default Chirping Dryer

m_corbelli wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's
driving the wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.


Depends.

Do you want to fix the dryer or the wife?


  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Chirping Dryer

I had a chirping Maytag. I greased the roller bushings and it was quiet for
a day.
I bought new rollers online and did the replacement. It was an easy job
since
I had someone to help hold the drum during reassembly.

"m_corbelli" wrote in message
. ..
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving
the wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.



  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 735
Default Chirping Dryer

On Apr 18, 7:40 pm, "m_corbelli" wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today.


The source of mine was the rear central drum "bearing", which is
basically just a pointed shaft on the back of the drum which fits into
a recess.

I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.

Along the way I discovered a lot of part prices made just buying a new
one seem the best solution, next time.
-----

- gpsman
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,595
Default Chirping Dryer

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 18, 7:40 pm, "m_corbelli" wrote:
We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today.


The source of mine was the rear central drum "bearing", which is
basically just a pointed shaft on the back of the drum which fits into
a recess.

I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.


There was likely supposed to be a nylon bushing in there in which the
shaft turns, not just packed w/ grease...

--


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 735
Default Chirping Dryer

On Apr 19, 11:18 am, dpb wrote:
gpsman wrote:

I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.


There was likely supposed to be a nylon bushing in there in which the
shaft turns, not just packed w/ grease...


Coulda been I reckon, but there weren't any remnants of it and IIRC it
was a fairly tight fit.

Been working fine for a little over a year... maybe it was a "pocket
bushing"...
-----

- gpsman
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,595
Default Chirping Dryer

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 11:18 am, dpb wrote:
gpsman wrote:

I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.

There was likely supposed to be a nylon bushing in there in which the
shaft turns, not just packed w/ grease...


Coulda been I reckon, but there weren't any remnants of it and IIRC it
was a fairly tight fit.

Been working fine for a little over a year... maybe it was a "pocket
bushing"...


What brand/model? It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes. Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.

--
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 735
Default Chirping Dryer

On Apr 19, 1:26 pm, dpb wrote:

What brand/model?


GE- DBXR453ET3WW

It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point


That does seem a bit odd, now that you mention it.

as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes.


Mmm... seems unlikely, given the location. Hasn't occurred anyway.

Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.


I agree. Maybe a guy who worked on it before tricked me.

I've already put it in the "fixed for $0" category, please don't burst
my fantasy...
-----

- gpsman
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,595
Default Chirping Dryer

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 1:26 pm, dpb wrote:
What brand/model?


GE- DBXR453ET3WW

It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point


That does seem a bit odd, now that you mention it.

as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes.


Mmm... seems unlikely, given the location. Hasn't occurred anyway.

Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.


I agree. Maybe a guy who worked on it before tricked me.

I've already put it in the "fixed for $0" category, please don't burst
my fantasy...


(I like that one...)

In the vein of not bursting bubble (or is that bauble?) I didn't take
the time to look up the actual model number, but I've had GE dryers for
"since forever" and they all have had a nylon bushing...

So, if it needs something again, look and see if the remnants of the old
one aren't still in there. The grounding strap that contacts the end of
the drum shaft comes loose and then there's a c-clip that holds the
drum. I have (once w/ one that was virtually completely gone) managed
to get the pieces out from the rear and push the new one in, but the
correct way is to pull the drum. That, as you have discovered, isn't
but a bout a 20 minute job start to finish on these puppies...

--
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,824
Default Chirping Dryer

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400, "m_corbelli"
wrote:

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the
wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance.


The battery is getting weak.

It has to be replaced, just like in a smoke alarm.


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 735
Default Chirping Dryer

On Apr 19, 3:06 pm, dpb wrote:
gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 1:26 pm, dpb wrote:
What brand/model?


GE- DBXR453ET3WW


It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point


That does seem a bit odd, now that you mention it.


as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes.


Mmm... seems unlikely, given the location. Hasn't occurred anyway.


Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.


I agree. Maybe a guy who worked on it before tricked me.


I've already put it in the "fixed for $0" category, please don't burst
my fantasy...


(I like that one...)

In the vein of not bursting bubble (or is that bauble?) I didn't take
the time to look up the actual model number, but I've had GE dryers for
"since forever" and they all have had a nylon bushing...

So, if it needs something again, look and see if the remnants of the old
one aren't still in there.


If it needs anything else it's going to the scrap yard, but I cleaned
out the recess looking for metal shavings and there weren't nothing in
there but a small amount of old dirty grease.

That, as you have discovered, isn't
but a bout a 20 minute job start to finish on these puppies...


Heh. Took me about an hour, but I only work on a dryer every 10 years
or so. I've only got maybe 2 dryer repairs left in me, so I'm saving
them for a better dryer.
-----

- gpsman
  #17   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,595
Default Chirping Dryer

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 3:06 pm, dpb wrote:
gpsman wrote:

....

So, if it needs something again, look and see if the remnants of the old
one aren't still in there.


If it needs anything else it's going to the scrap yard, but I cleaned
out the recess looking for metal shavings and there weren't nothing in
there but a small amount of old dirty grease.

....
Showing how slow a day it is, I did a search -- the picture looks quite
similar to the bracket on the old ones I've worked on, but two places
had only a full "kit" under your specific model number, not just the
nylon bearing. Since they wanted roughly $40 for that, I might just go
your route instead given the choice. For the ones I've replaced,
the bushing/bearing alone was available for about $6-7.


--
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Chirping Dryer

I fixed it (at least temporarily) by taking off the front panel and
shooting WD40 on all the rollers and pulleys. Hey, what's the deal
with all the spam on the group? Makes it darn near useless.
  #19   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 735
Default Chirping Dryer

On Apr 21, 8:25 am, Mark wrote:
I fixed it (at least temporarily) by taking off the front panel and
shooting WD40 on all the rollers and pulleys.


That narrows it down.

Hey, what's the deal
with all the spam on the group?


Most often a product of overenthusiasm applied to a ridiculously poor
business model, and/or kids with peckers too sore to touch, I think.

Makes it darn near useless.


Eh, you can filter it out, so I'm told, with a good newsreader. I
just ignore it, but it does seem to irritate a lot of people.
-----

- gpsman
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upstairs Radiator chirping every 1-2 minutes [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 23rd 08 09:18 PM
28PT4521 - Changing the TV-channel left me merely a chirping box. Luc V Electronics Repair 0 August 17th 05 03:17 AM
Newbie question on CRT moniter failure, chirping David Merryman Electronics Repair 3 July 9th 05 01:55 AM
Chirping noise from rear of TV... John Linneman Electronics Repair 3 May 21st 04 12:37 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"