Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher Broken - Which part should I order?

I have a Maytag QuietSeries 300 dishwasher, model MDB9600AWQ.

Several months ago, its display panel started acting funny (only part
of the green LED segments actually lit) but it continued working fine
- until today.

Today, when I tried to operate it as usual, pressing the Start button,
the dishwasher simply wouldn't react. As if the Start button was never
pressed.

The Delay button responds. All top buttons (the ones that select the
program type) respond. But the Start button seems to be "dead".

I searched http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...artsearch.aspx
for a logical part (panel or control or something along this) and all
I could find was "Board, control": Item # 1173225 and Item # 1074739.

They are both expensive (around $100) so obviously I would like to be
certain which part I need to order in order to repair this problem.

Your help regarding which part is defective and needs replacement
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam,

What tests have you done? I note that the service manual is available at
your site ( 1055095 ). It could be as cheap as the door switch.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

[...]

You never absolutely know for sure until you replace something and it
fixes it right? Repairclinic.com does allow returns. Just get what you
think could be it for one shipping charge and return the unused. You just
have to pay for return shipping.

....or call an appliance repair service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I searchedhttp://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/smartsearch.aspx
for a logical part (panel or control or something along this) and all
I could find was "Board, control": Item # 1173225 and Item # 1074739.

They are both expensive (around $100) so obviously I would like to be
certain which part I need to order in order to repair this problem.

Your help regarding which part is defective and needs replacement
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

You never absolutely know for sure until you replace something and it
fixes it right? Repairclinic.com does allow returns. Just get what you
think could be it for one shipping charge and return the unused. You just
have to pay for return shipping.

...or call an appliance repair service.

I actually found a better site - that not only lists the parts but
also displays the relevant diagrams - very helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/3hfxhc

http://www.partselect.com/Maytag-Dishwasher-Parts.htm

It seems that the Start "button" (low quality tactile-less pad that
convinced me that I will never by Maytag again) is what stopped
working. The problem is... this button cannot be replaced by itself -
it requires replacing the entire panel (P/N PS728446, "PANEL, CONTROL
(BSQ)")

http://tinyurl.com/4mfmbm

http://tinyurl.com/44e8jf

It costs $72.72 but it may be a good idea to replace it since the
"professional technician" that was sent by Maytag to repair the latch
2 years ago, actually broke the CHEAP plastic hinges that hold the
latch. So by replacing the anel I would actually fix two problems.

Thanks to all of you who responded.

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote :

[...]

Oh - and in http://www.searspartsdirect.com it is Part# 99002795 -
costs 79.79.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:35 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:09 am, "

" wrote :

[...]

and in http://www.mdappliance.com/WPL-99002795.html it costs only
$69.99 but it is listed not only as a Maytag part but also as
Whirlpool.

Also, repairclinic.com seems to *not* offer this part.

It can also purchased in partstore.com:

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Maytag...02795/New.aspx

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:42 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:35 am, "

wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:09 am, "

" wrote :

[...]

and in PartsTap.com it can be purchased for as low as 63.35

http://tinyurl.com/52smfo

but it looks slightly different from what I have.

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:47 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:42 am, "

wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:35 am, "

wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:09 am, "

" wrote :

[...]

Actually, this part is offered by RepairClinic.com (Item # 1012097,
$75.75) but it's not in stock. So there is no point in ordering from
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam,

What makes you think the problem is in that panel? It should be easy
enough to short across the switch that you suspect, so if shorting makes the
dishwasher start, then replace the panel.. You'll probably need to turn off
the water and jumper the door switch to test the start switch so I suggest
that you buy the manual. Or call a serviceman.
If the service technician broke a part during his repair work you should
have pursued that in a timely fashion.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

See if you can download the service or installation manual. When my Maytag
was installed I was looking at the installation manual and noticed by
entering some special codes (pushing the buttons in a certain sequence it
would do some self testing, etc. If I hadn't been home the manual would
have been trashed. Maybe yours has a similar feature.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 11:24*am, "David L. Martel" wrote:
Sam,

* *What makes you think the problem is in that panel?

Because the green LED display started acting finicky a few months
before the START "button" (if one insists on calling this cheap
membrane a button) decided to quit. All other "buttons" on the panel
work - except for the START one. The START "button" is by far the most
frequently used "button". So it makes sense that it would die first.

On the other hand...

It should be easy
enough to short across the switch that you suspect, so if shorting makes the
dishwasher start, then replace the panel.. You'll probably need to turn off
the water and jumper the door switch to test the start switch

It is still possible that it is only the door switch - if this
machine's logic is such that START would refuse to show any sign of
being pressed if the door is open.

Either way, isn't the door switch part of the panel? Thus if I replace
the panel, I will surely solve the problem. I just hope that the
faulty component is not the circuit board... (which costs over $100).
At any rate, if the problem turns out to be elsewhere, I can return
the item to the vendor, since I always buy from vendors that have a
good return policy.

Thanks,
Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 2:16*pm, "Jeff" wrote:
See if you can download the service or installation manual. *When my Maytag
was installed I was looking at the installation manual and noticed by
entering some special codes (pushing the buttons in a certain sequence it
would do some self testing, etc. *If I hadn't been home the manual would
have been trashed. *Maybe yours has a similar feature.

I did that. The Manual Function Test, which may be started by pressing
the NORMAL WASH key
5 times followed by the START key within 6 seconds, cannot be started
because... you guessed it - it requires the START key - and the START
key is dead. LOL :-)

The Sales Floor Demo Mode, which is started by pressing the EXTRA
RINSE keypad 5 times within 6 seconds, works well (except that green
LED segments are only partially lit, see previous posts), but it
cannot be stopped because... you guessed it - it requires pressing the
START key - and the START key is dead. LOL :-)

Thus, my original hunch that it is not the door switch but rather the
START key seems to be reinforced by these tests. I can only hope that
it is indeed the control PANEL and not the control BOARD.

I will let you know once the part comes in...

Regards,
Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 9:48 am, "
wrote:
[...]

And the answer is... :-) :-) :-)

Sure enough, it was the panel. I paid under $70 (including S&H) for a
totally brand new panel and it works beautifully. I am very happy. :-)

Thank you all for helping out with this issue.

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 12:28 am, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:36:12 -0700 (PDT),

" wrote:
[...]

Just order another new identical dishwasher. Start replacing parts
until it works. Then take back the rest of the new one and get a
refund for the parts not used.

LOL, as I posted yesterday, I have already solved the problem, using a
much less expensive method than the one you described:

It was the control panel, which can be ordered at PartsTap.com:

http://tinyurl.com/52smfo

Including S&H, it cost me less than $70.

Regards,
Sam