Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Urethaning a front wood door

I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and
urethaned again. This is the first time since the door was new
(originally stained and urethaned then). I managed to stain it again
nearly to my satisfaction (I'm picky) and I put one coat of urethane
(Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss) by brush on the door but I see a
little traces of brush marks in certain light. Is it okay to put a
2nd coat of urethane by brush on and will it lessen the brush marks?

2nd question- If I wanted to do it like a professional, do they sand
the door down to bare wood then stain it and urethane it? I'm not
100% satisfied with my own stain job but it's okay for most people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 2:33*pm, observer wrote:
I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and
urethaned again. *This is the first time since the door was new
(originally stained and urethaned then). *I managed to stain it again
nearly to my satisfaction (I'm picky) and I put one coat of urethane
(Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss) by brush on the door but I see a
little traces of brush marks in certain light. *Is it okay to put a
2nd coat of urethane by brush on and will it lessen the brush marks?

2nd question- *If I wanted to do it like a professional, do they sand
the door down to bare wood then stain it and urethane it? *I'm not
100% satisfied with my own stain job but it's okay for most people.

One coat is not enough protection anyway, one coat cant get a good
finish on wood. First coat soaks in, not unitil 3 is it realy
protecting. Not until maybe 5 can it look great. 1st coats should be
gloss since gloss is clear, satin finish is slightly cloudy. I would
build coats, sand with 200-220 inbetween, clean with a tack cloth,
maybe the last coat of satin finish if you dont like gloss. Dont
varnish the door warm, in sun, or when it will soon be in sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote in message
I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and
urethaned again. This is the first time since the door was new
(originally stained and urethaned then). I managed to stain it again
nearly to my satisfaction (I'm picky) and I put one coat of urethane
(Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss) by brush on the door but I see a
little traces of brush marks in certain light. Is it okay to put a
2nd coat of urethane by brush on and will it lessen the brush marks?

2nd question- If I wanted to do it like a professional, do they sand
the door down to bare wood then stain it and urethane it? I'm not
100% satisfied with my own stain job but it's okay for most people.

Try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-Mini-Mite...8549569&sr=8-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAbyaRgfRAg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:19:16 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. You made me think that when I was young my dad (a carpenter)
urethaned a hanging bay window (in his house) and I remember him
saying he must have urethaned the wood seat about 10 times. I think
he used a brush because it was in tight area inside the kitchen. I
don't recall seeing any brush marks on his finish but he was a
perfectionist and handy and I'm not .

I will take your advice and thank you again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote:
I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and
urethaned again. This is the first time since the door was new
(originally stained and urethaned then). I managed to stain it again
nearly to my satisfaction (I'm picky) and I put one coat of urethane
(Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss) by brush on the door but I see a
little traces of brush marks in certain light. Is it okay to put a
2nd coat of urethane by brush on and will it lessen the brush marks?

2nd question- If I wanted to do it like a professional, do they sand
the door down to bare wood then stain it and urethane it? I'm not
100% satisfied with my own stain job but it's okay for most people.

In addition to the other advice, take the door down - work on it while it's
horizontal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

observer wrote:
I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and
urethaned again. This is the first time since the door was new
(originally stained and urethaned then). I managed to stain it again
nearly to my satisfaction (I'm picky) and I put one coat of urethane
(Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss) by brush on the door but I see a
little traces of brush marks in certain light. Is it okay to put a
2nd coat of urethane by brush on and will it lessen the brush marks?

2nd question- If I wanted to do it like a professional, do they sand
the door down to bare wood then stain it and urethane it? I'm not
100% satisfied with my own stain job but it's okay for most people.

In addition to the other advice, take the door down - work on it while
it's horizontal.

I'd say horizontal has the best shot of minimizing brush marks as well as
do it in the shade of course and do it around the ideal temp recommended.
Helps to ensure "flow" right after it's put on. Do it quick. Don't go
back with the applicator and touch/contine any area that has been done
more than a few minutes ago. The poly surface is already setting and
flowing.

Depending on how picky you wanna get, there are options besides
brushing...the main surfaces anyway. Recently redid an oak wood floor.
Lambs wool (I think) pads were used. No marks but of course that's all
horizontal and flat/even. There are other non-brush applicators.

Front door - is this one OK? A.Lee UK diy 1 October 4th 07 11:37 PM
The front door George UK diy 4 July 6th 07 06:55 PM
Front Door-Steel-fiberglass-wood-Company-Power Windows and Siding Michael Muderick Home Repair 0 May 2nd 07 02:49 AM
Best place to buy wood front door? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 December 27th 04 05:38 PM
Wood or uPVC front door Lee Blaver UK diy 7 July 31st 03 10:59 PM