DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   plywood deflection rating (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/245528-plywood-deflection-rating.html)

Dan Espen April 18th 08 02:47 PM

plywood deflection rating

"Jeff D." writes:

I'm building a wall of storage shelving for my 45 record collection (appx.
20,000). The records are stored 200/box and each box is 16x8x9, weighing
15lbs. Will 3/4" plywood shelving 4 feet long support this load without
deflecting, each shelve will be loaded to 75lbs with supports on the ends
only.

WOW. Only about 350 45s here.
I recently finished transcribing them to disk and burning them to CDs.

Same with the Vinyl LPs.

I haven't done it yet, but I think I'm going to just toss them now.

I'd have to guess about the shelving. I think plywood by itself
will always sag. You'd need some solid wood to get stability.

jloomis April 18th 08 03:03 PM

plywood deflection rating

They may sag, and I would provide a strongback along the front
edege......You will be amazed how much this helps with rigidity. Strongback
like a 1x2 or 1x3.....
I also dado the shelves and glue into the sides and make sure to cleat or
nail the back.
Glue all members.....
jloomis

PeterD April 18th 08 03:07 PM

plywood deflection rating

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:27:37 -0500, "Jeff D."
wrote:

I'm building a wall of storage shelving for my 45 record collection (appx.
20,000). The records are stored 200/box and each box is 16x8x9, weighing
15lbs. Will 3/4" plywood shelving 4 feet long support this load without
deflecting, each shelve will be loaded to 75lbs with supports on the ends
only.

There are many different types of 3/4" ply, so there is no one
'correct' answer to your question.

Personally, I'd not expect a 4' span to support that much weight, over
a longer term. Eventually it *will* sag.

John Gilmer April 18th 08 03:43 PM

plywood deflection rating

"Jeff D." wrote in message
Not an expert on load tables but from what I can understand 3/4" at 4ft
between supports would only be good for about 30lbs ??

Yeah, that "sounds" about right.

With a 2' span, it would take 4 times the load to have the same deflection.
That's likely the way to go.

Smitty Two April 18th 08 04:15 PM

plywood deflection rating

In article ,
"John Gilmer" wrote:

"Jeff D." wrote in message
Not an expert on load tables but from what I can understand 3/4" at 4ft
between supports would only be good for about 30lbs ??

Yeah, that "sounds" about right.

With a 2' span, it would take 4 times the load to have the same deflection.
That's likely the way to go.

Maybe the OP can put support the shelves one foot in from each end, with
two feet between supports. Otherwise a little piece of angle iron bolted
to the bottom of each shelf will stiffen it.

S. Barker April 18th 08 04:34 PM

plywood deflection rating

They will sag with time. BUT if you finish both sides equally, then you can
turn them over now and then.

dadiOH[_3_] April 18th 08 05:24 PM

plywood deflection rating

Jeff D. wrote:
I'm building a wall of storage shelving for my 45 record collection
(appx. 20,000). The records are stored 200/box and each box is
16x8x9, weighing 15lbs. Will 3/4" plywood shelving 4 feet long
support this load without deflecting, each shelve will be loaded to
75lbs with supports on the ends only.

Plug in the numbers here and see...
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

hr(bob) [email protected] April 18th 08 05:42 PM

plywood deflection rating

tom April 18th 08 05:52 PM

plywood deflection rating

On Apr 18, 7:27 am, "Jeff D." wrote:
I'm building a wall of storage shelving for my 45 record collection (appx.
20,000). The records are stored 200/box and each box is 16x8x9, weighing
15lbs. Will 3/4" plywood shelving 4 feet long support this load without
deflecting, each shelve will be loaded to 75lbs with supports on the ends
only.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/demo/?rev.../sagulator.htm
Enjoy. Tom

Matt W. Barrow April 18th 08 08:52 PM

plywood deflection rating

"Jeff D." wrote in message
Not an expert on load tables but from what I can understand 3/4" at 4ft
between supports would only be good for about 30lbs ??

I have a work bench made with 3/4" plywood doubled over and supported by
metal legs five feet apart.

On top of that bench I have two machine presses that weight about 50-60 lbs
each and using them creates a hell of a lot of additional downward pressure.

It's been going fine for thirty years with zero problems.

ransley April 18th 08 09:37 PM

plywood deflection rating

On Apr 18, 9:27*am, "Jeff D." wrote:
I'm building a wall of storage shelving for my 45 record collection (appx.
20,000). The records are stored 200/box and each box is 16x8x9, weighing
15lbs. Will 3/4" plywood shelving 4 feet long support this load without
deflecting, each shelve will be loaded to 75lbs with supports on the ends
only.

It might be cheaper and less work to get steel pre made shelves

Jeff D. April 19th 08 01:04 PM

plywood deflection rating

Thanks for the suggestions, the sagulator is a great resource. Looks like
3/4 plywood with 2" edging front and back will work nicely.
I checked into steel shelving but the cost (discounting my labor) was higher
and couldn't find anything flexible enough to fit the space I'm using.

Joe April 19th 08 08:21 PM

plywood deflection rating

On Apr 18, 9:27*am, "Jeff D." wrote:
I'm building a wall of storage shelving for my 45 record collection (appx.
20,000). The records are stored 200/box and each box is 16x8x9, weighing
15lbs. Will 3/4" plywood shelving 4 feet long support this load without
deflecting, each shelve will be loaded to 75lbs with supports on the ends
only.

Consider some of the heavy duty shelving at Costco or Sam;s Club. The
product looks good, and will easily hold the weight you anticipate.
Other sources for that kind of shelving are salvage from store
remodelings, often seen on Craigslist or classifieds. Makes sense if
your talking storage and not furniture.

Joe

Rick Samuel[_2_] April 22nd 08 04:56 AM

plywood deflection rating

Same with the Vinyl LPs.

I haven't done it yet, but I think I'm going to just toss them now.

Toss them??? As in garbage?? Sell em, donate to your church garage sale,
Goodwill, anything.

Dan Espen April 23rd 08 12:15 AM

plywood deflection rating

"Rick Samuel" writes:

Same with the Vinyl LPs.

I haven't done it yet, but I think I'm going to just toss them now.

Toss them??? As in garbage?? Sell em, donate to your church garage sale,
Goodwill, anything.

I doubt they have any value.
They've all been played a lot.
The 45s lack the original sleeves.

Despite the condition, I was able to clean up the recordings I made,
sometimes quite well.