DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Solar Powered Roof Vent (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/245527-solar-powered-roof-vent.html)

Lou Leciejewski April 18th 08 03:21 PM

Solar Powered Roof Vent

Anyone here have any comments regarding Solar Roof Vents? I am looking to
install a Solar Powered Roof Vent made by GAF. Also, as a comparison, I am
looking at the Wind Powered Turbine Vent by GAF. Anyone have a Solar
Powered roof vent? I wonder how long the motors last ... I presume they do
not run constantly. Any comments would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Lou

John Gilmer April 18th 08 04:00 PM

Solar Powered Roof Vent

"Lou Leciejewski" wrote in message
. 102...
Anyone here have any comments regarding Solar Roof Vents?

Yeah! It's seems to be a winner!

You only need the power vents when the sun is heating your roof.

The wind powered vents always seems a bit silly as the wind is already
cooling the roof. The reason you want extra ventilation is that the roof
gets too hot and heats up the attic.

[email protected] April 18th 08 11:20 PM

Solar Powered Roof Vent

On Apr 18, 10:00*am, "John Gilmer" wrote:
"Lou Leciejewski" wrote in message

. 102...

Anyone here have any comments regarding Solar Roof Vents?

Yeah! * It's seems to be a winner!

You only need the power vents when the sun is heating your roof.

The wind powered vents always seems a bit silly as the wind is already
cooling the roof. * The reason you want extra ventilation is that the roof
gets too hot and heats up the attic.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I'd go with a good ridge vent and soffit vent solution before any type
of fan. I also have to disagree that the breeze that would drive a
turbin type fan is going to be sufficient to have any meaningful
effect on the attic space under the roof. With direct sunlight on
the roof and just a modest breeze attics still generate an enormous
amount of heat.

Bob F April 19th 08 04:13 AM

Solar Powered Roof Vent

"Lou Leciejewski" wrote in message
. 102...
Anyone here have any comments regarding Solar Roof Vents? I am looking to
install a Solar Powered Roof Vent made by GAF. Also, as a comparison, I am
looking at the Wind Powered Turbine Vent by GAF. Anyone have a Solar
Powered roof vent? I wonder how long the motors last ... I presume they do
not run constantly. Any comments would be most welcome.

The amount of air movement you will get from a tiny solar cell is minimal.
Better to invest in proper passive vents, half high and half low to get
convection going.

LouB April 19th 08 04:25 AM

Solar Powered Roof Vent

Bob F wrote:
"Lou Leciejewski" wrote in message
. 102...
Anyone here have any comments regarding Solar Roof Vents? I am looking to
install a Solar Powered Roof Vent made by GAF. Also, as a comparison, I am
looking at the Wind Powered Turbine Vent by GAF. Anyone have a Solar
Powered roof vent? I wonder how long the motors last ... I presume they do
not run constantly. Any comments would be most welcome.

The amount of air movement you will get from a tiny solar cell is minimal.
Better to invest in proper passive vents, half high and half low to get
convection going.

Have you actually seen one of those units??

Red Green April 19th 08 05:09 AM

Solar Powered Roof Vent

Lou Leciejewski wrote in
. 102:

Anyone here have any comments regarding Solar Roof Vents? I am looking
to install a Solar Powered Roof Vent made by GAF. Also, as a
comparison, I am looking at the Wind Powered Turbine Vent by GAF.
Anyone have a Solar Powered roof vent? I wonder how long the motors
last ... I presume they do not run constantly. Any comments would be
most welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Lou

I glanced at one. If I recall, they do not include the expensive solar
cells. If that's the case it's gonna take a long time to recoup the cost.
Have to be a hardcore granola head to go for it.

No Name April 20th 08 02:36 AM

Solar Powered Roof Vent

In article , louie_117
@yahoo.com says...
Anyone here have any comments regarding Solar Roof Vents? I am looking to
install a Solar Powered Roof Vent made by GAF. Also, as a comparison, I am
looking at the Wind Powered Turbine Vent by GAF. Anyone have a Solar
Powered roof vent? I wonder how long the motors last ... I presume they do
not run constantly. Any comments would be most welcome.

Boats have been using solar-powered vents for many years. My father's
sailboat has one on the cabin top, it's been working for years despite
sal****er exposure. It doesn't run all the time -- it runs slowly when
the sky is hazy, gets quite a breeze going when the sun is bright.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Shelly[_2_] April 21st 08 02:50 AM

Solar Powered Roof Vent

"Lou Leciejewski" wrote in message
.102...
Anyone here have any comments regarding Solar Roof Vents? I am looking to
install a Solar Powered Roof Vent made by GAF. Also, as a comparison, I am
looking at the Wind Powered Turbine Vent by GAF. Anyone have a Solar
Powered roof vent? I wonder how long the motors last ... I presume they do
not run constantly. Any comments would be most welcome.

12 inch solar powered fan works like a charm on roof of my 1600 sq ft
home, and I deducted some of the cost on 1040.
When there is early morning moisture on my FL shingles, the area
surrounding the vent is always dry - which tells me that it is
working. So far, (only 1 1/2 years old) no problem.
hth