DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glass top Range (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/245239-glass-top-range.html)

RicodJour April 17th 08 05:06 AM

Glass top Range

On Apr 17, 12:50 am, Terry wrote:
Anone wish they had not bought one?

Is there anything at all in this world where there isn't a difference
of opinion?
If you want some input, choose a specific model and check it out on
Epinions or Amazon. Both sites have reviews and you'll definitely get
both sides of the arguments.

Terry April 17th 08 05:50 AM

Glass top Range

Anone wish they had not bought one?

DA April 17th 08 09:07 AM

Glass top Range

DA had written this in response to
http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/...ge-300971-.htm
:
Terry wrote:

Anone wish they had not bought one?

Energy efficient and cleans really easy compared to other types: what's
not to like? Do you have a particular problem with it?

\//.
-------------------------------------

[email protected] April 17th 08 12:44 PM

Glass top Range

On Apr 17, 1:17*am, wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:50:50 -0500, Terry
wrote:

Anone wish they had not bought one?

Yes, mostly those that have dropped something on it and found out it
cost $300 for the new glass top part. Not saying you shouldn't buy
one, but they aren't well suited to some applications. For example, I
know someone who bought the whole range for $350 and had a renter
crack it within a few months. He chose to leave it with the chip and
crack, as it still works OK.

Just buy a black one. The white ones are a bitch to keep white.

Dan Espen April 17th 08 01:35 PM

Glass top Range

wrote:

Anone wish they had not bought one?

Just buy a black one. The white ones are a bitch to keep white.

Yep, I have a black one and really like the way it cleans up.

[email protected] April 17th 08 05:16 PM

Glass top Range

On Apr 16, 11:50 pm, Terry wrote:
Anone wish they had not bought one?

Been using it for past 7 years. The pluses: Very easy to clean. Looks
brand new even after cooking every single day for 7 years. I have a
black one made by GE.

Minuses: The cookware must be absolutely flat bottomed. Anything else
will wobble. I like to flame broil egg plant and bell peppers and
other things. You can't do that unless you have a grill. That's my
problem though.

I'm getting a gas range in my next house. I don't hate this one per se
but I want a gas range. that's all.

David B. April 17th 08 06:28 PM

Glass top Range

Just wished that I didn't choose a white Top !

cshenk April 17th 08 06:51 PM

Glass top Range

"Terry" wrote

Anone wish they had not bought one?

Many people find they do not like them but some do. What I notice is
cooking shows never use them.

They are supposed to be a bit more energy efficient (so I gather) but they
can be damaged ralatively easily and you have to have super perfect pots and
pans (very flat bottomed) to get a proper heating out of them.

I use cast iron pans and several kettles on my gas range. I'd have to
change my cooking style (pots etc) too much to want to ever think of getting
a glass top range. I actually turned down an apartment once because it was
all spiffy glass top stuff. Took a different place for 50$ more a month
with a real stove g. Thats just _my_ opinion though. I cook alot.

Jeff[_3_] April 17th 08 08:46 PM

Glass top Range

This thread seems to be edging towards gas vs. electric. That's a valid
enough topic for discussion but I'm assuming not really what the OP was
looking for.

I don't regret it. Ours is 12 years old and still looks pretty good. Of
course we try not to drop stuff on it but it has held up much better than I
had hoped for. Ours is a Whirpool with dark grey top.

It is a bit harder to clean now than when new and a small spot where a
platic bag melted onto the surface seems to be irremovable. On the other
hand it took much less than 12 years on our previous ring top stove to get
to the point where the bowls and chrome rings were beyond the ability to
bring back to fully clean.

The pots and pans they sell around here tend to have pretty flat bottoms
anyway so I think this limitation tends to be overdramatized. Here again I
think any limitation on types of pots used, round bottom woks or griddles
for instance, is related to gas vs. electric stove top as opposed to
electric cermaic vs. electric ring top stove.

Norminn April 17th 08 09:28 PM

Glass top Range

Jeff wrote:

[...]

It is easy, through a little carelessness, to get pans warped a little
bit, and that keeps them from
cooking properly. I hate glass top, would rather have gas burners.
When I had a gas range and
bought new anodized aluminum cookware, I discovered that I could cook
the same amount while
using about half as much gas - kept the burners turned very low in
comparison to former cookware.
It's taken me about 5 years to get used to my glass cooktop and a few
good fights with hubby
about why pans with warped bottoms are no good :o) On old stainless
with warped bottoms, I
can burn part of the food black and not even thaw the other half :o)

As for cleaning, a razor scraper gets the hard stuff. Denatured
alcohol gets the grease, even
burnt on. Barkeeper's for the rest.

Edwin Pawlowski April 18th 08 02:56 AM

Glass top Range

"Terry" wrote in message
Anone wish they had not bought one?

Most everyone I know that has/had one. Look pretty and they go down hill
from there. Easily broken, fussy about the cookware used.