Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What would you do?

My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I know
one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm about
to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out of
town.

What would you do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Major D." wrote in message
My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

Tell him to mind his own business or wear earplugs...

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I
know one of the neighbors called the city on him.

The neighborhood nanny who called the city is an asshole. It's his property
and if you don't like seeing it stop looking at it or BUY it...

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm
about to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out
of town.

Go ahead and punch him...He will then OWN your house or come back and shoot
you...

What would you do?

Mind my own business....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Me" wrote in message
"Major D." wrote in :

My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet
when I come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle
coming up the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get
home about 3 in the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and
there's absolutely nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard,
tarps all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a
dump! I know one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm
about to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk
out of town.

What would you do?

Try and be a little more quiet.

I'll second that. You are talking about 3 AM.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

Tell him to mind his own business or wear earplugs...

Agreed.

The neighborhood nanny who called the city is an asshole. It's his
property and if you don't like seeing it stop looking at it or BUY it...

Disagree. The biggest problem arising from a neighbors cluttered yard is
rats and other rodents/pests, whish will harbor into other yards. Therefore,
IT IS the business of the neighbors to take action before these vermints
start damaging their homes. Another problem arising is decreasing
property/home value. One home as well as surrounding homes have an impact on
a home for sale.

Go ahead and punch him...He will then OWN your house or come back and
shoot you...

What would you do?

Mind my own business....

How can he mind his own business when you already told him to tell the
neighbor to wear earplugs or mind his own business?

If I had to look at the yard everyday, I would join the others, call the
city and have him clean it. You can also tell him when he cleans his yard
and keeps it that way or puts up a privacy fence, then you will oil your
garage door and buy him some earplugs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

"Me" wrote in message

Try and be a little more quiet.

How can he be anymore quiet with a stock exhaust and garage door?

Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:
"Me" wrote in message

Try and be a little more quiet.

How can he be anymore quiet with a stock exhaust and garage door?

Park down the block.

Jeeze! Why do I have to think of everything?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in
news:a9mdnYkYQp40PZvVnZ2dnUVZ_v2pnZ2d@wideopenwest .com:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

Tell him to mind his own business or wear earplugs...

Agreed.

I'd suggest the disturbed neighbor buy one of those white noise generators
that mask common noises.
Sharper Image or other similar companies sell them.

Or just tune a bedside radio to a blank AM station for white noise,set the
volume to a low level that lets him sleep,and masks the outside noise.
Then he doesn't need earplugs.(and will be able to hear smoke
alarms,ringing phones,the morning wake-up alarm...)

If he doesn't like that;well,it's his problem.
There's not much else he can do about it.

small waterfalls also make a soothing,irritant-masking low-level noise,and
add a nice touch to one's property.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Major D." wrote in :

My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet
when I come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle
coming up the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get
home about 3 in the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and
there's absolutely nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard,
tarps all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a
dump! I know one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm
about to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk
out of town.

What would you do?

Buy a Harley and put straight pipes on it.

Based on your description of his consideration for others around him, f*
him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:34:43 -0400, "Major D."
wrote:

My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I know
one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm about
to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out of
town.

What would you do?

Ignore him, don't talk about him, say "OK" to him, but don't agitate
him either. Try to remember to turn off (or down) your car radio
before approaching the house at 3 AM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Major D. wrote:

What would you do?

Document it. Seriously, get it on paper in a form you can introduce in
court. Take date-stamped photos of his clutter, get signed statements from
neighbors, report him for code violations and so on. If push comes to shove
you need to be the one who can convince a judge that you aren't the one
being unreasonable and a bad neighbor, otherwise it can end up being your
word against his.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Major D." wrote in message
My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I
know one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm
about to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out
of town.

What would you do?

You have a few options.
Change jobs to one with hours that coincide with his sleep time
Buy a new car
Leave the car in the driveway
Offer to soundproof his bedroom windows

My favorite is:
Smile, thank him for letting you know of the problem, and then ignore the
SOB.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Em" wrote in
:

Just treat him the way I treat my nutso ex-wife -- listen to idle
rants for a minute or two, and then have a confused look on your face,
and then walk away and don't ever reply one way or the other.

That reminds me of a Two and a Half Men episode(CBS) where Charlie says the
phrase "I understand." in a sincere voice to everybody's complaints,and
totally ignores what the people are saying.It pacifies them,they think they
have solved their problem,and they don't realize Charlie is just ignoring
them.(even after he explains it to his brother Allen)

It may be the best way for dealing with some people! ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

SBH wrote:
"Me" wrote in message

Try and be a little more quiet.

How can he be anymore quiet with a stock exhaust and garage door?

Park down the block.

Jeeze! Why do I have to think of everything?

Because you're such a smart ass :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...speaking of complaining neighbors and
noise

I'd suggest the disturbed neighbor buy one of those white noise

generators
that mask common noises.
Sharper Image or other similar companies sell them.

Or just tune a bedside radio to a blank AM station for white

noise,set the
volume to a low level that lets him sleep,and masks the outside

noise.
Then he doesn't need earplugs.(and will be able to hear smoke
alarms,ringing phones,the morning wake-up alarm...)

I use a fan and a white noise machine. I live very close to a
Walgreen's, and they mask the noise very well. The only real problem I
can see, is that I would never hear someone breaking into my home,
however I do have a large dog inside. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of 500W amp and Hendrix's Star
Spangled Banner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote in message ...

"Major D." wrote in message
[...]

LOL, best answer so far.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Major D." wrote in message
[...]

Build a HIGH solid-wall fence between his house and yours.
to "block the noise"...
Maybe plant a nice tall hedge,too,if HOA bylaws permit it.

My favorite is:
Smile, thank him for letting you know of the problem, and then ignore
the SOB.

That's about all "Major D" can realistically do about it.

The complainer has to solve his sensitivity problem himself.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Major D." writes:

My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I know
one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm about
to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out of
town.

What would you do?

Jeez, 11 replies and no one seems to realize you live next door
to mm.

Come on guys, just a week or 2 ago, stack of lawnmowers,
wood on the ground...

Doesn't that ring a bell?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 6:40*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
Major D. wrote:
What would you do?

Document it. *Seriously, get it on paper in a form you can introduce in
court. *Take date-stamped photos of his clutter, get signed statements from
neighbors, report him for code violations and so on. *If push comes to shove
you need to be the one who can convince a judge that you aren't the one
being unreasonable and a bad neighbor, otherwise it can end up being your
word against his.

Add on: Make a recording of your "coming home" sounds to use if
needed.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 7:31*pm, Dan Espen
wrote:
"Major D." writes:
[...]

Doesn't that ring a bell?- Hide quoted text -

Certainly did. I saw it as soon as I read it. Didn't seem to be
germane though.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Major D."
wrote:

My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I know
one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm about
to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out of
town.

What would you do?

So mm is your neighbor? That's interesting. Welcome to our therapy
group. Maybe you two can work things out here rather than face to face.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dan Espen wrote:

"Major D." writes:

[...]

You beat me to the reply, Dan, but I picked that up immediately, also. I
guess we're in the brain dead room tonight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

Unless you live in California, or some other state with highly restrictive
gun laws, if he comes over again at 3 AM, draw a weapon and tell him that if
he EVER comes over again, you will shoot him, kick his sorry ass, pepper
spray him, or all three. And mean it.

You really do hate everyone, don't you Steve? Or have I just missed all
your posts where you advocate diplomacy and citizenship? In the United
States of America, your rights *end* where the other guy's nose begins.
Somehow you seem to forget that that concept applies to BOTH parties.
That principle is one of key foundations of civilization.

We make compromises to get along with our neighbors. Your unwillingness
to do that is no doubt related to your decision to not have neighbors of
the physical sort. Others of us live in community, and choose to trade
certain "freedoms" for the pleasures that community brings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Dan Espen wrote:

"Major D." writes:

[...]

Why? who CARES -who- the sensitive complainer is? It's not relevant.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"Major D." wrote in message
My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet
when I come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle
coming up the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get
home about 3 in the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and
there's absolutely nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard,
tarps all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a
dump! I know one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm
about to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this
jerk out of town.

What would you do?

Go about your business as usual.

Unless you live in California, or some other state with highly
restrictive gun laws, if he comes over again at 3 AM, draw a weapon

STUPID advice that will get YOU arrested for brandishing at the least.
Without a credible lethal threat,you cannot "draw your gun" and threaten
the complainer. That makes YOU the criminal.

and tell him that if he EVER comes over again, you will shoot him,
kick his sorry ass, pepper spray him, or all three. And mean it.
Immediately call the police and inform them what happened so that they
will not get a call from him shrieking and screaming. When they come
to respond, leave the weapon inside, and calmly explain what happened.
It's even better if he knocks on the door, and the exchange of words
happens while you're standing totally inside your house. They will
explain to the idiot that you DO AND DID have the right to shoot holes
in his sorry ass.

If he's on your property, you got him. Just be sure to tell the
policeperson that he has made threats before and you were in fear of
your life. In some states, you can just shoot him.

Ah,now you suggest LYING to the police.
Making a false claim to a LEO is a felony.
And the OP did not mention the complainer making any previous threats.

All a little serious? No. You want to take care of the problem or
dance around it? The police can't/won't do anything. The justice
system can't/won't do anything about it.

Handle it like a man. You're minding your own business on your own
property at three AM and this wack job comes over. That's enough
right there.

I live in rural Utah, previously, Nevada. Concealed weapon laws and
"castle laws" are pretty lenient here when it comes to defending your
home and family from people roaming around YOUR property at 3 AM.

Steve

There's no law against going over to a noisy neighbor at 3AM to complain
about the noise. And it's NOT any legitimate threat by itself.

Take SteveB's advice and you can get put in jail,and lose your gun rights.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

[...]

anyone taking that POOR advice SteveB posted is liable to end up in jail
AND losing their gun rights.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Document it. Seriously, get it on paper in a form you can introduce
in court. Take date-stamped photos of his clutter, get signed
statements from neighbors, report him for code violations and so on.
If push comes to shove you need to be the one who can convince a
judge that you aren't the one being unreasonable and a bad neighbor,
otherwise it can end up being your word against his.

Add on: Make a recording of your "coming home" sounds to use if
needed.

Harry K

Good idea, with video. And get the neighbor on the other side to write a
letter saying he's never in the least been disturbed etc. Sure, this sounds
like overkill, but if the neighbor with the junkyard ever decides to push it
to the point of filing noise complaints or even taking it to court then the
one with the convincing case is the one who wins, I've seen it happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 02:31:21 GMT, Dan Espen
wrote:

"Major D." writes:

[...]

It CERTAINLY did. I thought the same thing. The combination of
material and "complaints".

But I hear bells on TV and think somebody is at the door
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Major D." wrote in message
[...]

spray him, or all three. And mean it. Immediately call the police and
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Major D. wrote:
What would you do?

Document it. *Seriously, get it on paper in a form you can introduce in
court. *Take date-stamped photos of his clutter, get signed statements from
neighbors, report him for code violations and so on. *If push comes to shove
you need to be the one who can convince a judge that you aren't the one
being unreasonable and a bad neighbor, otherwise it can end up being your
word against his.

Add on: Make a recording of your "coming home" sounds to use if
needed.

Harry K

As worthy of the Nixon tapes, imo. You now need expert testimony that
the tapes are not fabricated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:34:43 -0400, Major D. wrote:

My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I know
one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm about
to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out of
town.

What would you do?

Ask him to suggest what you should do to lower the noise. After, laugh in
his face and walk away. I could understand his concern if you came home
blasting the stereo with open windows.

--
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

4/17/2008 2:28:48 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:42:28 -0800, SteveB wrote:

"Major D." wrote in message
[...]

This does not pass the "what would a reasonable person do in this
situation?" test the legal world likes to use. A reasonable person would
not use deadly force on a neighbor just for standing on his property to
speak to him. Remember, this is a neighbor and not some stranger trying to
break into your home.

--
"Technology is dominated by two types of people:
Those who understand what they do not manage.

4/17/2008 2:37:03 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Handle it like a man. You're minding your own business on your own property
at three AM and this wack job comes over. That's enough right there.

The OP did not indicate the complaint was at 3AM on his property;
unless I missed it.

Read about Confrontational Avoidance.

When the threat escalates, so does the amount of force.

No threat - no force!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Major D." wrote in message
[...]

My study; was what, would a "reasonable and prudent" man do?

......prudent • \PROO-dunt\ • adjective
1 : marked by wisdom or judiciousness
2 : shrewd in the management of practical affairs
3 : cautious, discreet
4 : thrifty, frugal

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Dan Espen wrote:

"Major D." writes:

[...]

Relevancy is in the eye of the beholder. Of course the man's identity is
irrelevant in suggesting an appropriate course of action for the OP, but
it's totally relevant in the eyes of character observers. MM is a
regular contributor here and I think it's extraordinary that his
neighbor (if it is neighbor, but there sure are some dead ringer
coincidences if it isn't) showed up here with his own "troublesome
neighbor" story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik writes:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Dan Espen wrote:

"Major D." writes:

[...]

Hear that whooshing sound? It's relevant because you are being trolled.

Interesting Internet trivia.

Surrounding a word with special characters has special meaning
in advanced email and news clients.

A word surrounded in underscores can appear to be underlined,
like _this_. Asterisks are used for *bold*.
A word surrounded by dashes appears to be -struck- -out-
destroying the effect you attempting to go for with dashes
surrounding the word "who" above. For me it appeared to
be crossed out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

How can he be anymore quiet with a stock exhaust and garage door?

Park down the block.

Jeeze! Why do I have to think of everything?

Because you're such a smart ass :-)

I offered that solution in case the resident is more concerned with the
happiness of his neighbor than his own convenience.

But should the emphasis be reversed - - -

"BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian media say a man was rearing a lion in his
back garden until neighbors decided they had heard enough roaring and called
police."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080416/...lion_in_garden

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/16/2008 7:34 PM Major D. said the following:
My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I know
one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm about
to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out of
town.

What would you do?

Laugh!

--