Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice Maker Questions

Greetings! We have an Amana side-by-side, model SQD26VW.

* The water "tray" isn't filling with water so the ice can't be made. I
checked the supply hose that leads into the tray and it doesn't appear to be
frozen. The little plastic blades appear to rotate from time-to-time even
though there's no ice being made.

* I've never replaced an ice maker before. Is it something I could do
myself or should I call a plumber?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:33:58 -0700, Yee Hah wrote:
Greetings! We have an Amana side-by-side, model SQD26VW.

* The water "tray" isn't filling with water so the ice can't be made. I
checked the supply hose that leads into the tray and it doesn't appear to be
frozen. The little plastic blades appear to rotate from time-to-time even
though there's no ice being made.

* I've never replaced an ice maker before. Is it something I could do
myself or should I call a plumber?

Step 1: get the installation instructions. It should be available at the
maker's website.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Yee Hah" wrote in message
Greetings! We have an Amana side-by-side, model SQD26VW.

* The water "tray" isn't filling with water so the ice can't be made. I
checked the supply hose that leads into the tray and it doesn't appear to
be
frozen. The little plastic blades appear to rotate from time-to-time even
though there's no ice being made.

* I've never replaced an ice maker before. Is it something I could do
myself or should I call a plumber?

Thanks!

Pretty simple to replace. One or two screws and unplug the electrical.
Reverse the process and you are done.

Make sure you need one first. Make sure the water is flowing to the
control valve on the back. Make sure the control valve is opening and
closing. A plugged line, quite common when a piercing valve was used for
the install, could get plugged real easily. A bad control valve may or may
not be opening to allow the water to flow.

Most likely it is the ice maker if the water is flowing to the valve.

Shop online. I bought a complete kit with two new valves for less than $100
a few years ago. I expect the price has gone up like everything else.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:33:02 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Yee Hah" wrote in message
[...]

If this is the basic Whirlpool design Midwest Appliance Parts sold me
one for about $45. The only think in that type of ice maker that
controls the water is a contact behind the gear, adjusted by the
little screw (fill level)

Thank you all for the advice. I pulled the fridge out and and did not see
any kinks in the plastic tube that went from the wall into the back of the
fridge (the tube also runs through a cylinder filter before disappearing
into the fridge). Is the control valve located where the tube goes into the
wall? If so, do I just need to try turning it?

The last poster mentioned a contact behind the gear, adjusted by the little
screw. Maybe it's time to try to find the ice maker manual, but could you
please describe a little more where this "contact" is and how I might
recognize it?

Thank you again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Yee Hah" wrote in message
[...]

p.s. Maybe I should also mention that this fridge has a water dispenser
located just to the right of the ice dispenser on the freezer door. The
water dispenser appears to work just fine.

Getting An Enclosed Trailer...Questions, Questions, Questions Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 30 December 30th 07 06:19 PM
Ice maker Stacia Home Repair 10 August 7th 07 09:54 AM
ice maker odor/taste questions jst Home Repair 2 March 30th 07 08:57 PM
Old Ice in Ice Maker Bin Sherman Home Repair 9 July 30th 05 04:50 PM