Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which kind of deck treatment.

Hi Folks,

As summer is approching (Hopefully it will fall over a weekend this
year in the UK) it is time to treat my deck.

We have just moved into the house (November) and the deck was a mess.
Black slimy mold covered it all. After much cleaning with deck cleaner
and a pressure washer, it is now clean.
However, the wood is now raw.

I am in a quandary as which product to use. There are three on the
shelves: Deck Treatment, Deck Stain and Deck Oil.

I am not interested in the stain.

My first reaction is to use oil. No real reason though. is this a wise
choice?
Only drawback I can see is the cost and the drying time. 1-2 days.

How about the "Treatment" What is it and why is it better / worse.
It dries in 1-2 hours.

Any advice would be welcome....

TIA.
Regards,
Crispin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 7:38*am, wrote:
[...]

Oil might last a year, transparent oil stain a bit more,
semitransparent maybe 2 years, but I will bet the deck is in shade and
it will mold again in less than a year, laundry bleach kills mold,
semi transparent oil stain will protect against mold the best. Old
grey wood wont look good with just oil.

DYI Deck Treatment vs. Services? gmark Home Repair 2 June 18th 07 10:15 PM
Best deck treatment dean Home Repair 7 April 21st 07 09:19 PM
Everwood / Petrawood Deck Treatment [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 16th 05 10:35 PM
New house has Cedar deck. Any special treatment? Is it as good as they say? [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 13th 05 03:20 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Ignoramus26420 Woodworking 19 July 22nd 03 04:20 PM