Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

Default Dishwasher problem

OK, so I had a handyman at my place the other day to install my new
kitchen faucet, among other things.

Works great, looks great (aside from the fact that now my sink looks
like crap next to the shiny new faucet). I went out, my husband
decided to start the dishwasher.

I came home maybe 15 minutes after he started it, and it sounded funny
to me. I opened it, and there was no water in it. I've tried a few
times since then, and the darned thing won't fill.

I suspect that it ran a bit with the water shutoff under the sink in
the closed position. But if it's open now, it should work right?
Unless a) running it while water was shut off did something terrible
to the dishwasher we just bought in January, or b) running it while
water was shut off caused an airlock of some kind in the line which
simply needs to be cleared.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 7:42�am, KD wrote:
[...]

shouldnt of caused damage, try powering it off, pull plug or reset
breaker or fuse.

new dishwashers are computer controlled and this one might need
rebooted
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 8:03Â*am, " wrote:
On Apr 14, 7:42�am, KD wrote:

[...]

rebooted- Hide quoted text -

Are you sure the valve under the sink is turned on? I guess another
possibility is the faucet repair process dislodged some debris that
has clogged the water valve of the dishwasher.

But no way running it without water would result in any permanent
damage resulting in this "no fill" behavior.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 6:42 am, KD wrote:
[...]

Obviously if everything was working fine previously then the handyman
caused this malfunction and should be called back to diagnose the
problem. Check this site: http://www.appliance411.com/parts/partslists.shtml
.....and see if there is a reset button on your unit. If anything
running it without water may have triggered the valve to shut off.
Fill the washer with water by hand and set it to the drain cycle and
see if the water gets pumped out. Without the make and model it's
very hard to diagnose it here.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

On Apr 14, 11:21*am, gigster wrote:
On Apr 14, 6:42 am, KD wrote:

[...]

very hard to diagnose it here.- Hide quoted text -

I did try unplugging the unit to see if that would help, and I am
going to call back handyman guy to fix it if I can't get it going. The
machine still does make noise when turned on, so that would suggest
that the fuse is not blown, n'est pas? I have an older fuse box with
plug fuses.

It wasn't immediately apparent to me which setting was OFF for the
water (yes, insert *duh* here). So I tried running it both ways,
neither will fill it.

Meanwhile, I'll give putting water into it manually a go, see if that
will help. The dishwasher is a Whirlpool, model GU2300XTSQ.

Good to know that it's unlikely WE did anything to kill it by simply
running it. Hopefully it's not a serious problem! Thanks for the
suggestions.

KD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try this.

Inside the dishwasher, there is a float device which shuts the water
off when the water reaches a set hieght. It is usually in one of the
corners. Check (by gently lifting) that it is free to move and not
stuck in the up position. In a new machine this is unlikely to be the
problem but it is a easy thing to check.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

On Apr 14, 12:20*pm, wrote:
Try this.

Inside the dishwasher, there is a float device which shuts the water
off when the water reaches a set hieght. It is usually in one of the
corners. Check (by gently lifting) that it is free to move and not
stuck in the up position. In a new machine this is unlikely to be the
problem but it is a easy thing to check.

Just checked, floaty thing does still move, not stuck.

Handy guy is coming over later to investigate the problem. He's
perplexed by it, can't imagine what it could be till he looks at it.

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 6:42 am, KD wrote:

[...]

KD- Hide quoted text -

It wasn't immediately apparent to me which setting was OFF for the
water

Unless you have something out of the ordinary, figuring out Off vs On
for your shutoffs should be fairly simple:

If you have a straight flat handle, then:
If it is in-line with (parallel to) the pipe the water would be On.
If it is at a right angle (perpendicular) to the pipe the water would
be Off.

If you have a round or oval handle that turns in a circle, the
standard rule of righty-tighty, lefty-loosey applies. Turned fully to
the right, while facing the handle is Off, turned fully to the left is
On.

One note: You should never turn that type of valve to the fully on,
hard up against the stop position. Turn it fully on and then back it
off about an eighth of a turn. You want a little room to move the
valve in case it gets frozen from non-use. If it gets frozen in the
fully-on position, you might not be able to turn the water off in an
emergency situation. With a little wiggle room in both directions,
you're more likely to be able to free it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

On Apr 14, 6:42 am, KD wrote:

[...]

you're more likely to be able to free it up.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info. After trying it both ways yesterday, I crawled in
a little closer with my flashlight and saw on the flat handle that
there were arrows for OPEN and CLOSE. So it is indeed in the OPEN
position, parallell to the pipe. Good to know not to turn it fully on
though.

Anyhow, still no water in it. Will see what handyman guy tells me.

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 6:42 am, KD wrote:

[...]

You missed my point! The type that you do not turn fully are the round
or oval handle types. The ball-valves with the straight handles do not
have this problem and can be set fully in-line with the pipe.

BTW...check the valve for your main - if it is not a ball valve, you
might want to see if it is fully on and if so, back it off just in
case. You *really* want that valve to work in an emergency just in
case you can't get some other valve in the house turned off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

On Apr 14, 6:42 am, KD wrote:

[...]

case you can't get some other valve in the house turned off.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, sorry, didn't read that right.

Handyman guy was just here, took a quick look and has deemed it
coincidental that the dishwasher failed at the same time of the faucet
replacement. I'm not sure what to think of that, seems VERY
coincidental Anyhow, the dishwasher is still under warranty and I have
fortunately found the receipt. Whirlpool technician is coming on
Thursday.

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 6:42 am, KD wrote:

[...]

Let us know what the tech finds. My curious mind wants to know.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

KD wrote in
:

Oh, sorry, didn't read that right.

Handyman guy was just here, took a quick look and has deemed it
coincidental that the dishwasher failed at the same time of the faucet
replacement. I'm not sure what to think of that, seems VERY
coincidental Anyhow, the dishwasher is still under warranty and I have
fortunately found the receipt. Whirlpool technician is coming on
Thursday.

KD

and has deemed it coincidental that the dishwasher failed at the
same time of the faucet replacement.

LOL! Is it ever any other way?!

the dishwasher is still under warranty and I have
fortunately found the receipt. Whirlpool technician is coming on
Thursday.

Oh this outta be good. Both will be pointing the finger at each other.

KD, be sure to follow up on this after the Whirlpool tech comes by.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

On Apr 14, 11:06*pm, Red Green wrote:
KD wrote :

Oh, sorry, didn't read that right.

Handyman guy was just here, took a quick look and has deemed it
coincidental that thedishwasherfailed at the same time of the faucet
replacement. I'm not sure what to think of that, seems VERY
coincidental Anyhow, thedishwasheris still under warranty and I have
fortunately found the receipt. Whirlpool technician is coming on
Thursday.

KD
and has deemed it coincidental that thedishwasherfailed at the
same time of the faucet replacement.

LOL! Is it ever any other way?!

thedishwasheris still under warranty and I have
fortunately found the receipt. Whirlpool technician is coming on
Thursday.

Oh this outta be good. Both will be pointing the finger at each other.

KD, be sure to follow up on this after the Whirlpool tech comes by.

*sigh* Yes, pointing their fingers at each other is what I'm afraid
of, because if no one will take responsibility, only one party will be
on the hook to pay - and it won't be either one of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

KD wrote :

[...]

on the hook to pay - and it won't be either one of them. - Hide quoted text -

OK, Whirlpool guy just left. He says it's a water supply problem! My
response to that is *duh* - I know that there's no water. But he tried
replacing a valve in the dishwasher but that did not fix the problem,
tech says there's nothing wrong with the dishwasher.

My husband is the one that's home looking after this. Next step is to
call the handyman back, see what (if anything) he can do about the
apparent plumbing issue!

Some other details:

When handyman was putting in the new faucet, he could not get the hot
water valve to turn off the water all the way. I did not want to take
the time and money to repair that at this time, so I told him to just
turn off the water main to do the work, which we did.

Since having this problem, handyman says that the work he did couldn’t
be the problem, as the dishwasher hot water tap is below the water
turnoff for the sink, which in theory means that the dishwasher gets
water supply first. The sink still does produce hot water.

Handyman also says in feeling the copper pipe on the other side of the
dishwasher supply valve, it’s hot, so water is still going into it. I
don’t think it’s THAT hot, maybe the valve could be toast?

I was SO wanting to get my dishwasher on the go again today! *whine*

KD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the hot water feed to the dishwasher copper all the way? For me the
dishwasher has a rubber hose that clamps onto the water pipe under the sink.
It would be quite easy to disconnect the hose and tell for certain if water
was flowing through the copper pipe or not.

"KD" wrote in message
On Apr 15, 9:51 am, KD wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KD" wrote in message

On Apr 15, 9:51 am, KD wrote:

[...]

It's unbelievable how a tech can have such poor diagnostic skills..
With a reported problem like this, after checking the obvious, like
supply valve under the sink open, float in dishwasher not stuck, I'd
disconnect the water supply line at the dishwasher and see if water
will flow into a pan. If it didn't, I'd show it to the customer
demonstrating that it's not the dishwasher that's the problem. Why
the moron would waste time changing the dishwasher water valve is
beyond me.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

"KD" wrote in message

... On Apr 15, 9:51 am, KD wrote:

On Apr 14, 11:06 pm, Red Green wrote:

KD wrote

.com

:

[...]

Maybe he was a handyman before he advanced his career.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

"KD" wrote in message

... On Apr 15, 9:51 am, KD wrote:

[...]

will flow into a pan. Â* If it didn't, I'd show it to the customer
demonstrating that it's not thedishwasherthat's the problem. Â* Â*Why
[...]

My dishwasher works! Yay!

Whirlpool sent out a tech from another company for a second opinion.
This guy, while rather crabby, pulled out the dishwasher, poked at the
floater valve underneath a couple of times...and it worked! He isn't
sure if there was merely a kink in the line or or the floater thingy
was stuck. Since he couldn't prove it was the line, no charge for the
service call. I wouldn't think the line would have had a kink though,
how would it have suddenly developed one without being moved around?

Anyhow, I don't really care. It works!

KD

Dishwasher problem [email protected] UK diy 5 December 10th 07 08:53 AM
Dishwasher problem Yves Home Repair 12 April 7th 07 03:53 AM
Dishwasher problem phil UK diy 0 September 10th 06 10:48 AM
Dishwasher problem John Kelly UK diy 17 March 23rd 05 05:41 PM
Dishwasher Problem john Smith UK diy 7 December 16th 04 11:56 AM