DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Window Fin (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/244123-window-fin.html)

[email protected] April 14th 08 02:33 AM

Window Fin

Can I use a sawzall to cut out a new construction window through the
fin (alum)? I don't want to destroy the trim or remove siding when
putting in replacement windows. Perhaps there is another tool that is
easier?

Joe April 15th 08 04:37 AM

Window Fin

On Apr 13, 8:33*pm, wrote:
Can I use a sawzall to cut out a new construction window through the
fin (alum)? *I don't want to destroy the trim or remove siding when
putting in replacement windows. *Perhaps there is another tool that is
easier?

You're better off cutting it by hand. A Sawzall will get away from you
too easily and make a real mess. Go down to your local lumber yard and
get one those short tapered fine tooth keyhole saws (probably called
some thing else now, maybe utility saw, whatever). It will be more
grunt work, but think how nice your abs will look when you're done.
HTH

Joe

RicodJour April 15th 08 04:52 AM

Window Fin

On Apr 13, 9:33 pm, wrote:
Can I use a sawzall to cut out a new construction window through the
fin (alum)? I don't want to destroy the trim or remove siding when
putting in replacement windows. Perhaps there is another tool that is
easier?

Yes. I'm not a big fan on relying entirely on caulk for a weather
seal. I don't know what type of windows you have, but I prefer
replacement sash to replacement windows in most instances...as long as
the existing window isn't horrible.